Tableau Server is an enterprise-class business analytics platform that can scale up to hundreds of thousands of users. It allows distributed mobile and browser-based users to interact with Tableau workbooks published to the server from Tableau Desktop. Tableau Server comprises 4 main components: -Application Server - VizQL Server -Data Server -Backgrounder Tableau Server supports both web browser and Tableau Desktop clients.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Dr/DC/B9UT7Z2T8LTT.PNGUsable Analytics for the Right Price!Tableau Server is the backbone for emergency preparedness analytics for the Louisiana State Department of Health. As the lead agency for public health and medical services during an emergency, we collect a large amount of near real-time information from over 1,500 healthcare facilities. This data includes operational statuses, power statuses, fuel usage and needs, and census/bed availability. Tableau takes this data stream and transforms it into user-friendly visualizations for staff both in the field and in the State Emergency Operations Center. On a day-to-day basis, Tableau provides tools and interactive maps to our state trauma network so that they can determine the most appropriate facility for high risk patient routing.,Summarize complex data in an easy to understand format. Very fast idea/need to realization timelines. Ability for end users to interact with data sets, giving them filters, groupings and other tools to get the data they need.,Tableau's mapping capabilities are "almost there". We would love to have Tableau able to function as our sole GIS product. Each version of Tableau brings us closer to that goal. We would like to have the ability to schedule data transfers. The new Data Prep tool is step in that direction. We still have need to produce lists of summarized data. Making this process a little more straightforward would be nice.,10,We believe that our deployment of Tableau Server has had a large positive ROI for emergency preparedness. While not formally calculated, we have done comparisons with other leading analytics vendors, and there is no competition - Tableau Server is clearly the value leader. The major contributor to our positive ROI has primarily been the time to deployment and the time to adoption for critical visualizations and dashboards.,8,10,9,9,9,20,1,Easy access to critical resource dashboards in one environment. Tableau combines data from multiple applications into one dashboard to monitor resource utilization in user-defined areas and user-selected hospitals. Dashboards that allow staff to interact with certain data sets, using the powerful visualization tools in Tableau. Data-driven maps that allow trauma network managers to identify appropriate hospitals based on the trauma location and service status within user-defined areas. Data maps include hospital status details in a pop-up when hovering over the map point.,We have been able to extend the functionality of the mapping capabilities of Tableau beyond what is normally available. Using data-based calculations, we have been able to provide end-user interactive capabilities to specify location areas and hospital resources. We are able to use Tableau for data listings that enable us to manage compliance with other vendor usage limitations. We are able to use Tableau to identify duplicates in databases. This allows staff to keep databases current and error-free.,We would like to expand the use of Tableau's mapping functionality. We would like to extend the use of the Tableau mobile app by our regional coordinators. We are working at automating and pushing visualization updates to other applications.,10,No,Price Product Usability Analyst Reports,We wouldn't change a thing. Now that we know more about the potential competitors, the more Tableau server stands out. As indicated earlier, it has consistently demonstrated high value to our developers and end-users.,Third-party professional services,No,Change management was a small part of the implementation and was well-handled,User acceptance. This was really an issue of providing training and showing how regional coordinators managing hospital resources could use Tableau. There were no other significant issues. The implementation went smoothly and timely.,10,No,10,No,We had an issue with a particular mapping capability. We wanted to be able to map hospitals state-wide, provide a pop-up of service status upon hovering over the map point, and allow the end-user to specify the location of a trauma and use a slider function to define hospitals located within a radius in miles of hospitals. Tableau support was able to provide a solution, and this dashboard is a key resource used by our state-wide trauma network to provide routing suggestions to EMS agencies.,Dragging and dropping data variables to quickly and easily create visualizations Tableau's "Show Me" function that suggests visualization types based on the data source. Easily mapping data that doesn't have latitude/longitude in the data set. Tableau can use county and/or zip code to quickly provide a map of the data.,The mapping function in Tableau continues to improve, but it can't accommodate the use of layers as data filters just yet. Tableau is not really meant for the generation of lists from data. We've found ways to do it, but it takes someone with technical skills.,Yes,10Getting the most out of small data in healthcareFor cases of "tell me something about X" for a data set I've never seen before such as data collected about blood transfusions, Tableau is fantastic at helping to make sense of the data and creating insights. In cases where the data is really messy, even though Tableau does not do full ETL it speeds up the analysis and distribution of analytics process by an order of magnitude or more over Excel, which is a huge win for us. Tableau's ability to aggregate at a variety of levels via table calculations is something that I haven't een done in other BI products (except via a ton of SQL), it makes a number of advanced computations easier for users to accomplish.,Tableau's model for filtering and sorting is based on the individual worksheet. Though extensions have been made over time for filtering at the dashboard level, the level of functionality for filtering and sorting at the dashboard level isn't where I'd want it to be. Dashboard layout has definitely improved with version 8.0, and it's not quite the pixel perfect rendering that I want.,10,,10,Saving hundreds of person hours in preparing charts & reports. Enabling real-time or near real-time visibility into performance on a wide variety of metrics that have long-term financial impact on hospital & physician practice (for example, the Medicare Value Based Purchasing measures). This enables us to take action now that will affect our Medicare reimbursement a year or more from today.,12,1,Analysis of a variety of data sets and creating analyses across data sets. For example, looking at relationships between staff survey data and outpatient practice patient panels and workloads. Dashboards to inform doctors, nurses, and administrative staff of performance on a variety of quality metrics. Projecting externally generated quality metrics such as Medicare readmission rates, and validating those metrics.,,Implemented in-house,9,Self-taught,Extremely easy to learn, with a wide variety of ways to learn. Tableau has an extensive knowledgebase, there are dozens of hours of training videos, a number of blogs, the Tableau forums are amazing, and there is Tableau Public. Any visualization there can be downloaded and the techniques analyzed.,No,8,9,10,10,YesYes, Tableau can make you feel "Tab - Blue" At TimesAllows you to quickly visualize your data. Great for viewing data that has geospatial elements. Easy to share with others via publishing to Tableau Server.,Not a one stop shop for summarizing large data sets (>1 million rows). Does not work well with Teradata (in my experience). There was a host of connectivity issues that were logged by Tableau support as bugs/defects that were going to be addressed. Performance is solely based on the amount of RAM your individual machine running the client app has (I would regularly see the Out of Memory error when trying to connect to Teradata). Requires customization in order to force a refresh of the the webpage when publishing the dashboard on Tableau Server (data refreshes in the background but webpage does not update at the same time).,6,Through some customization we were able to monitor the network on a dashboard 24/7.,15,1,Allows analysts and managers to get a near real-time reading on the health of a wireless network of millions of devices. Allows for creation of dashboards that provide analysis from a geospatial and a performance view. Serves as a way to store data historically (using a Tableau generated extract) when your source system does not store data historically.,9,,Third-party professional services,7,Online training In-person training Self-taught,7,7,The only way I have learned anything was through trial and error. Its nice to have formal training but at the end of the day they won't be available to help you out every time you get stuck.,6,7,8,3,If Tableau can integrate with ESRI's ArcMap that would be amazing,I cant speak on that. That was handled by other people in my dept as well as other depts.,NoTableau - Everything You Need To KnowTableau's core strength is how easy it is to use. This was a key attraction to me in the early stage and remains a key consideration for many who want to visualise and understand the data in which they are subject matter experts without it requiring them to become experts in the software tool itself. As you use it more and more you also realise that while Tableau is deceptively simple to use it also has real depth and real power. This ease of use addresses a key business problem for many organisations which is that other solutions will require people who know a lot about databases but little about the data to produce solutions for people who truly understand the data but aren't database administrators. Tableau places very little demand at all on IT departments, many of whom are overworked and have long request queues to satisfy. Tableau allows the IT departments to work on the provision of simplified data connections with helpful metadata, leaving end users able to access the data, design and share meaningful dashboards from that data with anyone they wish in their organisation. This approach is very powerful and very productive.,In browser animations Speed of rendering dashboards - this is getting faster all the time but it is there and can be a consideration. When we're so used to web pages rendering almost instantly it can feel unusual to wait 2-3 seconds for something to render on screen. auto update - Tableau does not automatically render new points if the underlying data changes. The browser page has to be manually or programatically refreshed to display new data.,10,,10,The year we implemented Tableau the cost of purchasing Server and Desktop represented just 5 weeks' worth of that year's increase in net profits that our 8 person team delivered over the previous year so we regarded the ROI on Tableau to be 5 weeks. Nowadays, I think there are a few basics to any business: such as phones, email, website, CRM, accounts package etc and BI must be in that list. Turning off Tableau in the company would be like turning off the lights - we could probably cope but it would be pretty miserable and we would be nowhere near as effective or efficient.,25,1,Sales Order analysis - margin maintenance, sales per month per salesperson, sales by channel, bonus calculations for salespeople and how that relates to previous years Stock control - we relate the stock holding to the moving average of sales to influence what should be ordered from suppliers so that stock holding is expressed in time not in units, we can see seasonality in products so that we can adjust what to order, we can ensure that the right amount of stock is held - too much and we're tying up capital that could be at bank, too little and we won't be able to fulfil orders to customers wasting profit opportunities. Technical Support analysis - we can see immediately warranty returns that are spending longer than expected at a particular stage of the warranty process which we can rectify in a timely fashion, we can see whether it is more effective to spend more on a particular component or less in order to lower the overall cost of warranty support and see what will productively improve the mean time between failure of a machine Financial analysis - we use Tableau to monitor the basic financials of sales/revenues, COGS, AR, AP, as well as running totals of sales and net profit during the FY compared to forecast which we find to be a really useful way of keeping us focused throughout the year on delivering against the target. In essence, we use it pretty much everywhere. It takes so little effort to connect to relevant data and to start turning it into something that is easy to understand and represents the situation correctly that there's never a hesitation about whether it's worth that effort.,,Implemented in-house,9,Online training Self-taught,10,It is easy enough to use without training but I would say that we're not all James Bond and us mere mortals do benefit from some instruction. The on demand training on the Tableau website is very good and really helps you get going quickly. In my case I also took the Tableau training and certifications at the customer conferences. Now, as a Tableau Partner, we deliver training to lots of organisations and I've lost count of the number of times we've had people chime in throughout the day "Oh, I didn't know you could do that - that's so good!".,No,10,9,10,9,Sage CRM Sage 200 Accounts Our timekeeping system (tracks attendance and punctuality Google Analytics,No,Tableau operate a very simple pricing model and maintain a consistent policy of not discounting. This was certainly my experience when I first purchased Tableau and it hasn't changed in the years since. The upside of this is that if you're trying to evaluate the value offering of the product you don't have to consider some arbitrary point at which you would buy it and then see if you can get it for that. It either represents a meaningful ROI to you at its list price or it doesn't. The downside is you can't tell your boss "I spent this much but I got this much off".,YesTableau from a BI consultant view.As a consultant, I work with many organizations, all using Tableau Sever differently. Some implementations are department oriented, and, some are total enterprise installations. Tableau Server facilitates the secure, controlled, sharing of work done my Tableau Desktop analysts and developers.,Ease of use - connecting to different data sources, and, in visualizing data. Rapid and intuitive analysis. Easy to share (Tableau Server),In Tableau Desktop version 8.1, a direct interface to the 'R' open source statistical library was implemented. This allows for a major enhancement in the ability to do high-end statistics. I would love to see an interface where I did not, also, have to know 'R' syntax. But, for now, this enhancement is great!,10,,10,As a consultant, it is my clients that benefit. NDAs prevent my disclosing details.,1,1,I am a BI consultant - use Tableau for my clients (retail, manufacturing, healthcare, education, etc.) Ease of use - allows users that are not technical, but, know their business, to gain insights.,,Implemented in-house,10,Online training Self-taught,10,It is easy to get started - new users can be productive quickly with an hour of web based, free training. The real power of Tableau is tremendous - not sure anyone could ever learn it all!,No,10,No. Tableau is not an "integrate with" type of tool. It connects to all kinds of data sources to enable rapid and intuitive ad hoc query and analysis, as well as building analytic views/dashboards for sharing.,I did not negotiate - felt the price I paid was more than fair.
Windows, Linux
Tableau Server

Tableau Server Reviews

Tableau Server
Top Rated Award
Showing 13 of 575 Tableau Server ratings and reviews.
Henry Yennie profile photo
October 19, 2018

Tableau Server Review: "Usable Analytics for the Right Price!"

Implementation

Again, if we had incorporated user feedback during implementation, we could have fielded critical dashboards and visualizations earler.
Read Henry Yennie's full review
Jonathan Drummey profile photo
March 02, 2016

Tableau Server Review: "Getting the most out of small data in healthcare"

Implementation

My department was largely Excel and paper-based when I started, so there's been a tremendous amount of work to get the data into shape, so when I look at the overall implementation of our visualization and reporting infrastructure, I'm less satisfied. Tableau has been wonderful, the one place that would get me to a 10 is if it was easier to tune workbook performance on Tableau Server, there are a huge number of variables to deal with across the workbook/application/hardware stack. In a small environment like ours that takes more effort than I'd like.
Read Jonathan Drummey's full review
Mashhood Syed profile photo
March 01, 2016

Tableau Server Review: "Yes, Tableau can make you feel "Tab - Blue" At Times"

Implementation

We got it working which was the main goal, but we had to create a workaround for a key dashboard that would run 24/7. In order for the view to refresh every X minutes with the updated data, we created a .html file that instructed to the browser to refresh itself every X minutes. This was a pretty simple workaround but it was something we were hoping to avoid.
Read Mashhood Syed's full review
Mel Stephenson profile photo
March 01, 2016

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau - Everything You Need To Know"

Implementation

It was fine - I did it myself which was a bit nerve wracking at the time but nowadays I don't even think about it.
Read Mel Stephenson's full review
Charles Hooper profile photo
July 07, 2015

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau from a BI consultant view."

Implementation

Easy and fast. Desktop and Server can be implemented in well under an hour.
Read Charles Hooper's full review
George McCarrolle profile photo
September 30, 2015

Tableau Server Review: "To Server or Not to Server, that is the question!"

Implementation

The Tableau server installation has been flawless. Our user base is increasing rapidly each quarter. On the It front, we tend to upgrade the server on a bi-annual basis. Which allows use to minimize the disruption to our users. Overall, we are completely satisfied with Tableau server.
Read George McCarrolle's full review
Dwight Taylor profile photo
April 17, 2015

Tableau Server: "Tableau 8 Review"

Anish Koppula profile photo
April 20, 2015

Review: "Tableau Server - Good for Visual Representation of the data"

Nelson Davis, MSCE, EIT profile photo
February 26, 2015

Review: "Tableau Server - A Powerful Tool to Democratize Data"

Implementation

Each day we learn new ways to leverage the software and implement it ways that we hadn't before.
Read Nelson Davis, MSCE, EIT's full review
Torry Johnson profile photo
October 19, 2013

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau is a great analytics platform"

Implementation

Was very easy for both server and desktop.
Read Torry Johnson's full review
October 22, 2013

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau"

Implementation

Quick implementation with no real issues.
September 15, 2013

Tableau Server Review: "Tableau: The successful democratization of visual data analytics."

Implementation

Our server implementation could have been better. Even though recommended, the IT department opted out of the 5-day server deep dive training.
November 26, 2012

Tableau Server Review: "Strong visualization capabilities. Good for SMB."

Implementation

Implementation was over the phone with the vendor, and did not go particularly well. Again, think this was our fault as our integration and IT oversight was poor, and we made errors. Would they have happened had a vendor been onsite? Not sure, probably not, but we probably wouldn't have paid for that either.

Pixel Perfect reports (29)
Customizable dashboards (74)
Report Formatting Templates (62)
Drill-down analysis (75)
Formatting capabilities (73)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (44)
Report sharing and collaboration (70)
Publish to Web (66)
Publish to PDF (66)
Report Versioning (54)
Report Delivery Scheduling (60)
Delivery to Remote Servers (9)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (67)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (67)
Predictive Analytics (50)
Multi-User Support (named login) (73)
Role-Based Security Model (71)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (72)
Single Sign-On (SSO) (43)
Responsive Design for Web Access (59)
Dedicated iOS Application (47)
Dedicated Android Application (39)
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (51)
REST API (29)
Javascript API (25)
iFrames (30)
Java API (7)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (9)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (7)

About Tableau Server

Tableau Server allows organizations to deploy self-service analytics with a scalable, secure, enterprise-grade platform.

The vendor says key benefits include:

• Deploy the way that makes the most sense for your organization - on-premises or in the cloud, on Windows or Linux even integrate with your existing security and authentication protocols.
  • Provide governed data access while promoting sharing and collaboration with data, reports and dashboards, all with the scalability and security requirements you require.
  • Automate processes and workflows.
  • Manage content, define access for individual users and groups, and ensure accurate insights.

In other words, Tableau Server aims to give you the visibility, security and controls you need to empower your people with data. The vendor says Tableau helps organizations of all sizes unleash the power of their two most valuable assets: their data and their people. The product aims to support the entire analytics journey, from data preparation, to deep analysis, to the shared insights that drive the business forward.

Tableau Server Features

BI Platform Features
Has featureAdministration via Windows App
Has featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Does not have featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Does not have featureROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Does not have featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Does not have featureETL Capability
Does not have featureETL Scheduler
Supported Data Sources Features
Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle
Has featureSalesforce
Has featureSAP
Has featureGoogle Analytics
BI Standard Reporting Features
Does not have featurePixel Perfect reports
Has featureCustomizable dashboards
Has featureReport Formatting Templates
Ad-hoc Reporting Features
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Has featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Has featureReport Versioning
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling
Does not have featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featurePredictive Analytics
Has featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Has featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Access Control and Security Features
Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Does not have featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Does not have featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureSingle Sign-On (SSO)
Mobile Capabilities Features
Has featureREST API
Has featureJavascript API
Has featureiFrames
Does not have featureJava API
Does not have featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Does not have featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)

Tableau Server Screenshots

Tableau Server Video

Learn more about Tableau Server: https://www.tableau.com/products/server Tableau Server is true enterprise-scale analytics your business will love. Share insights and collaborate with data sources, interactive dashboards, and ad hoc analyses in a trusted and secure

Tableau Server Downloadables

Tableau Server Integrations

Tableau Server Competitors

Domo, IBM Cognos, Looker, MicroStrategy Analytics, QlikView, Qlik Sense, SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform

Tableau Server Support Options