TIBCO Spotfire Reviews

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2020

September 04, 2018

Great Tool! Some improvements are still possible

We use it to create visualizations, and it is used across the entire department. It solves issues related to direct visualization by importing data.
  • Easy visualization
  • Importing data is easy
  • Can code and make changes
  • Better visualization
  • More user modification functionality
  • Better connectivity with different datasets
Better integration with different data types
NA
September 03, 2018

Great Data Visualization Software

It is being used by the operations and reservoir departments to track operational efficiency and screen nearby wells.
  • Visualizing your data--there's no better platform
  • Building custom dashboards to view your data
  • Customization of certain visualizations is not possible.
Appropriate any time you are looking at data.
  • Self-taught
It has a steep learning curve, but it was well worth it.
August 17, 2018

Overall a very good product with potential improvements

I used Spotfire for educational purposes in a module context. I was satisfied from the overall experience and I liked very much the functionality the underlying software offers.
  • Easy chart creation
  • Very good recommended charts
  • Easy storytelling function
  • UI design
  • Data preprocessing features
Sales and finance visualization
Jeffrey Molloy | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 30, 2018

Spotfire help handle the chaos.

I do not know about other users within the college, but I am using Spotfire for multiple purposes. Within my department, I have used Spotfire to perform exploratory analysis on class enrollment and management. A goal of the analysis was to evaluate conflicts that would be seen by the typical student in enrollments. I am a teaching faculty member as well and am considering developing an experiment on various data analysis techniques with chemical data.
  • Spotfire can handle large datasets by design.
  • Visualizations are linked, so one view can be used to establish the critical data, but different views can be used to present and clarify the data for different stakeholder groups.
  • Because data can be integrated from different sources, recent information that may not be fully probated can be included in an analysis with established data.
  • There are times when I want to look at local data quickly, but every time I start up Spotfire it hijacks my web browser to require login to the Cloud. This design is particularly vexing if I have no internet access. I understand that this is the design, but it does not mean I have to like it.
  • Startup can be slow.
We deal with a number of situations where Spotfire is useful. There is analysis of student patterns, safety incidents, and I am interested in showing how exploratory data analysis can be performed with multiple methods. Multidimensional data has become far more prominent in current instrumentation.
  • Self-taught
It is still a learning process. I used it for some needs in the spring, but I intend to do more in depth analysis this fall.
Read Jeffrey Molloy's full review
Andrew Pruet | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 30, 2018

Spotfire with TERR and Python

We use Spotfire in many ways. Primarily, it is a fast data wrangling tool that lets you dig through and visualize data very quickly. Our team, in particular, uses it to look at oil and gas production data. In addition, we use Python and R in the backend to build more advanced applications.
  • Automating building decline curves for oil and gas wells.
  • Reading and writing to and from Oracle database with Python or information links within Spotfire.
  • Looking at competitor data across the Permian Basin. Utilizing IHS data to see every well in the Permian Basin.
  • Spotfire’s TERR and bass R are not totally compatible, especially for CRAN packages.
  • IronPython does not run transactions sequentially which can make development difficult.
  • IronPython API reference material is terrible and of virtually no use.
  • General bugs with Spotfire itself. Example: restarting Spotfire can cause certain things to start working sometimes.
Well suited: drilling through lots of categorical data that is linked to numeric data. Interactive maps. Interactive plots. Using data, analytics, and visualization in sync.

Bad: lots of user inputs, heavy script development (no version control), big data (everything stored in memory and begins to lag with > 2 gigs of data loaded)
  • Self-taught
There is a tough learning curve to overcome to use Spotfire. Being self-taught, it took me a couple of weeks to have any idea what I was doing. Becoming “good” took about a year and an expert took about 3 years.
Read Andrew Pruet's full review
Kyle Jordison | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 23, 2018

Spotfire - Engineers and Geologists Getting Along

We use Spotfire to analyze relationships between reservoir engineering, geological and operational data.
  • Spotfire allows quick visualization of large and often complex data sets.
  • Spotfire allows the integration of data from differing oil and gas disciplines that serves as a bridge for analysis, discussion and presentation.
  • Spotfire allows us to look for relationships in our data from different angles quite easily. If we can dream it, we can do it with Spotfire.
  • I wish that Spotfire had a better method of producing a probability distribution chart. I have been through the online workflows, but still wind up using Excel for this most of the time.
  • While I have gotten better with the Custom Expressions, it would be nice to have them simplified a bit more.
I think Spotfire is well-suited for any industry or situation. I can't think of any scenarios where it would be less appropriate.
  • Self-taught
I had training at a previous employer, and also found user groups at previous companies to be beneficial.
Read Kyle Jordison's full review
Germán Mandrini | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 19, 2018

Spotfire in Precision Ag

I am doing a Ph.D. working with precision agriculture and variable rate technology. Since response patterns are variable and change by field, year, genotype, I use Spotfire to dynamically graph the response and detect those patterns. It's a powerful tool for data exploration.
  • Explore data and detect patterns
  • Provide suggestions for different types of graphs that could be done
  • Many times I want to use the same data but show different years in different tabs and I would like to have the option of applying different filters by a tab.
  • Fitting curves could have more options for differential equations and show the parameters with more decimals (or at least give the possibility to the user)
I used this software when I worked in Pioneer Hi-bred. I like it so much that now I'm using it in my Ph.D. and recommending it to my professors and people on my team. They are starting to use the map options, to map all the trials we are conducting in different parts of the world and filter them according to different options like crop, year, country, state, etc.
I'm more an independent user of Spotfire now. I used it in my previous work in Pioneer and I like it that's why I use it at my actual work at the university. But it is not being used by the organization. I am starting to teach people how to use it and hopefully, they will get better at it. Now they ask me to do maps and plots for them.
Read Germán Mandrini's full review
Christopher Belis | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 02, 2018

Very nice quality for a small price!

Spotfire was used by the management (myself) on 2 levels: implementation for marketing/finance departments, internal use for any data mining. The purpose was to ensure to know what is in the data, of both internal and external clients, to then explain them the output of analyses and finally help them with making decisions, creating plans, etc.
  • Getting info from several data sources
  • Unlimited quantity of data
  • Interactive dashboarding
  • Available on Windows only
  • Mobile application not that well developed - let's say this is not really adaptative to the screen size
  • Sometimes it is a bit too long to sync data sources
  • Geo data were quite complicated to implement and configure
Spotfire is a nice tool when you want to complete different data sources together; with interactivity when selecting data. Honestly, this seems more marketing and finance oriented, with some weaknesses and limitations with geodata or when you really want to get very deep in data mining. This remains possible but a lot of configuration is needed, and sometimes the result is not that good. But for basics in BI, this is a nice tool, with a very good price!
  • Self-taught
With the willingness to discover by myself the tool, several tutorials and free documentation, this was quite nice to use. No expert level without the real in-person training, but still the possibility to get nice insights and dashboards
Read Christopher Belis's full review
Alex Walton | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 21, 2018

Spotfire: the Wild West of BI Tools

We are converting from one tool to Spotfire. We need to match functionality from the other tool into Spotfire. It helps business users spend less time creating reports and more time making decisions
  • Highly Customize able with HTML, Python, R and others. If you can think of something and know the code, it is open format for you to deliver those results.
  • Good amount of charts to display information to tell stories better about your data.
  • Easy to connect to multiple data sources, regardless of if its in database or flat file.
  • Our user base is missing functionality in Spotfire that causes our users to export Spotfire data into Excel, which causes more headaches. Spotfire could do a much better job providing self service functionality.
  • Development beyond basic charts requires knowledge of programming languages
  • Several times I have completed the creation of a report and later I had to make a small change. This change requires me to go through the entire report creation process again.
Quick and easy access to data, with web portal to share information. being able to take manual reporting out of the equation is really great as well. I have found that while the tool is highly custom, there is less development resources available online, so there is a bit more self solving required with this tool as the community matures.
  • Self-taught
It has been okay, but its tough to get simple questions answered on the various forums that discuss Spotfire. I think I would need a formal in-person training to fully understand all of Spotfires features. those classes are limited and cost prohibitive.
We have not intergrated with other TIBCO tools in my current project.
Read Alex Walton's full review
yixiang Shan | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 12, 2018

Tibco Spotfire :The great BI tool for Non-IT Guru

TIBCO Spotfire was introduced as part of the TIBCO corporate license into Fedex IT and BI world around 2 years ago. In EMEA region, we typically use Spotfire to visualize various data, covering many business domains. It helps our business to better apply the data analysis and quickly understand the trend as well as gap, improving our procedure to reduce the operational cost and increase the revenue. It also provides one easy platform for different type of users (non technical) to build KPI reports and sharing those reports easily
  • It offers a large variety of visualizations possibilities and lets the user tweak the visualizations to their specific needs if required.
  • It also offers powerful data transformation tools that improve the usefulness of a user's data without having to modify the source data.
  • It supports various data aggregation from various data sources.
  • Spotfire is still kind of "data pulling" strategy based application, the user defines SQL like data fetching command, and also the refresh rate, the Spotfire tries to periodically re-run those "queries", although it does have some data cache mechanism, for rapidly changing data, this strategy's performance sometimes is bad, especially when the data source is not well designed but with large amount of data (an Oracle Database with big table without too much index while those columns needs be queried). The Spotfire should improve to better connect with the other data stream /data pushing based API/Systems, also allowing the end user to define "basic data query" and the "delta data query" and "what mechanism is used to determine the delta"
TIBCO Spotfire is well suited for Historical Data (after fact) analysis and data visualization, but not well suited for the scenario that requires to consolidate/visualize the data rapidly changed in the RealTime manner (on the second level)
Read yixiang Shan's full review
Patricio Santirso | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 22, 2017

Reporting, reporting, TIBCO Spotfire!

TIBCO Spotfire is being used to report Information Security related issues. It is useful to combine data from multiple sources and report them following Policies KPIs and metrics. The good thing about Spotfire is that you don't need to share large files via email, you just update the data for the report and the links are always available to consume.
  • It is really easy to filter and determine which criteria data should be shown in the graphics.
  • You can set up different reports in the same dashboard or you can create several dashboards in the same link you share with users.
  • The coding syntax is pretty easy to understand and the help section is really well written to understand the use of different formulas.
  • The scale of colors to be used in graphics could be improved.
  • If you compare with other products such as Power BI, the look'n feel doesn't look as friendly as in Power BI.
  • I really don't know if this is possible, but in our case, it requires local users to be created, maybe it could be synced with Active Directory?
I particularly like TIBCO Spotfire because it is easy to understand how to use it. I learned on my own and didn't take much time. I use it to report KPIs related to Information Security, I add the reference link directly to issues in the different tools, making really easy to consume for leaders who want to understand what issues are contributing to low scores in the report.
  • Online training
It was really helpful, it was my first approach to this type of tool. Even though I am a Systems Engineer and reading and understanding code is easy for me, I think people who do not have an IT background can understand and learn from the training. I really like the help section, if I have some questions about formulas or some actions I need to do, I can consult and always find a response there.
Read Patricio Santirso's full review
Chelsea Philpot | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 13, 2017

Spotfire-ood and bad

Spofire is used throughout out the company for metrics and KPIS, etc. Spotfire is very helpful, because it can correlate and pull in many data sources to be able to analyze.
  • Providing information on Spotfire training.
  • Examples of ways you can use Spotfire with analytical data.
  • Hard to use for people, because it is not intuitive.
  • Expressions, IF statements, etc. are hard for people to grasp, because they are not like Access, or SQL.
TIBCO is great when pulling data from many different sources, and being able to review and compare together. TIBCO works well with certain data sources, but if you are using Microsoft Access, you have to use an alternative because it does not work well. Also, calculations are somewhat hard to create.
  • Self-taught
Online training to me was the best. I did not like the in-person training, as I feel like I did not learn as much.
Read Chelsea Philpot's full review
Justin Ricker | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2017

Honest and Fair

TIBCO Spotfire is being used across the whole organization, and it encompasses several departments. The product allows us to utilize our current databases to create visualizations to easily depict data.
  • Allows for easy creation and utilization of data visualizations.
  • Easy to setup folders and permissions to allow several users to access data.
  • The ease of use allows for users to access and utilize data to make strategic decisions throughout the organization.
  • Understanding the full benefits of the program takes time and experience.
  • Some SQL language requires different setting/filters/statements than Teradata.
  • Some of the options that are used are too buried to easily locate.
TIBCO Spotfire is well suited for use when using "big data" and multiple views of data are needed.

TIBCO Spotfire is not desired for simple data sets that are being used in a single graph.
  • In-person training
Our organization used in person training, and it was very useful for our staff. This allowed us to walk through scenarios with a trainer to easily identify and resolve issues that came up.
This is probably my most enjoyed analytical feature the product offers. This has proved to be very useful for me and my team by using geographical points with data sets.
I have had great success with the support of the product.
This is a wonderful product that is easy to learn. The support of the company allows users to become experts of the product in no time.
The program has proved to be very useful and allows for analyzing various forms of data.
Read Justin Ricker's full review
Emilie Wheeler | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 27, 2017

User-friendly, intuitive and easy... What more could you ask for?

TIBCO Spotfire is being used throughout the organization by various teams to analyze data, create workflow and performance management dashboards for leadership, and create easier solutions for regular reporting by the analysts. It addresses Excel's limitations with handling large data sets, performing calculations on those large data sets (quickly), and creating drill-down, interactive charts.
  • Spotfire can ingest extremely large data sets very quickly. We use Spotfire to analyze data sets of 5 million + rows - a feat Excel 2010 cannot handle.
  • It is very easy to join tables and insert columns (VLOOKUP) in Spotfire.
  • Spotfire is very user-friendly, and management loves to see the big picture, but then having the option to drill-down to the granular level of data as well.
  • We would like to be able to automatically reload data for Spotfire Library files for our Consumers, who do not have access to reload the data, without having to purchase another "module" or license.
Spotfire is great for analyzing large data sets with multiple detailed fields for a single row, so you can look at the same rows of data with different views. It is also easy to bin columns to create roll-up fields in order to facilitate this drill-down feature, and join data tables to do this as well. For small-scale analyses where some manual manipulation is required, Spotfire would not be the desired tool.
Read Emilie Wheeler's full review
Matthew Bass | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 26, 2017

Excellent Dashboard Tool

It is being used by multiple departments across Norfolk Southern. We have been developing dashboard type front ends for users using other tools for over a year now. TIBCO Spotfire has provided us with a tool that will allow us to deploy our dashboards to many users at one time utilizing the web client.
  • Great visualizations
  • Easy to use once data connection/information links are established
  • Scalable to multiple users via web client
  • Difficult to create data connections using custom SQL
  • Limited support of DB2 connections (DB2 on the mainframe)
  • Limited support of network connected documents on a shared drive
If the data is stored in Teradata and the user wants to create a dashboard with visualizations, TIBCO Spotfire is a perfect product. However, if the data is stored in DB2 on the mainframe, connecting to the data is a little more complicated. I would prefer to write custom SQL that points to DB2 on the mainframe, but this doesn't seem to be possible.
Read Matthew Bass's full review
Tim Daciuk | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 11, 2017

TIBCO Spotfire Meets Our Needs, Across the Organization

Spotfire is being used by several departments across the organization. Spotfire provides us with the ability to create visualizations and dashboards from the data that we have collected. In addition, it allows us to build and deploy complex predictive models. The business problems that it solves are: 1) what are the characteristics of our device performance and can we see/understand aberrations in that activity, and; 2) what do our financials look like and how are we as an organization performing, what are the issues we face, and, can we project/forecast upcoming performance and issues.
  • Easy to get data into Spotfire, and to combine data from many sources.
  • Easy to create and edit visualizations to meet the needs of the issue and/or end user.
  • Dashboards can be built that deliver insight along with flexibility to allow end users some capabilities to explore the visualizations or customize the inquiry.
  • Can provide or deploy advanced analytical models.
  • There is a need for additional graph types. The visualization set that comes with TIBCO Spotfire is becoming rather limited.
  • Working with R is rather difficult.
  • There is no ability for text display visualization; a word cloud or similar would be useful.
Spotfire is good for data analytics in a simplified format.
We bring in data from a wide range of data sources. This includes everything from JSON data through to Excel spreadsheets. Tibco has been able ingest our data without many problems. Additionally once data has been brought in, there is a need typically to manipulate that data and we have found Tibco easy to use in that sense. Finally, Tibco provides reasonably good performance when working with large amounts of data.

Tibco Spotfire has some geographic capabilities. It has basic mapping, the ability to import maps and the ability to use the functionality of Spotfire on those maps. Additionally, with a bit of effort, it is possible to use some of the geographic analytical functions available in R, or using other functionality available on the net.

However, as it is not a GIS, some of the advanced features and more easy of use capabilities are not really there. Spotfire is fine for simple mapping and presentation, but, for more complex spatial analysis, one would probably look for another package.

In summary, Spotfire is probably suitable for about 90% of geographic uses, if not more. For the high end user, it will probably not work, but, for most people and their needs (including me) Spotfire can easily do what one needs.

Support has been helpful with issues. Support seems to know their product and its capabilities. It would also seem that they have a good sense of the context of the problem; where we are going with this issue and what we want the end outcome to be.
Read Tim Daciuk's full review
Peter Wolf | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2017

Business Transforming Product

• I am able to quickly gain access to data of all types. It is able to dynamically develop visualizations that are both visually appealing and drive business decision making.
  • I have developed many reports and dashboards that display operations performance to operators, managers, and leaders.
  • The variety of available visualizations is vast, and it can satisfy most needs.
  • There are some visualizations that it is incapable of rendering including circular genome maps.
Spectacular at visualizing large sets of data. Not as useful in statistical analysis although it is improving rapidly. I continue to be amazed at the speed of the application though. Much faster than Power BI or Tableau, although the data cleaning and transformation ability isn't as good in Spotfire. If speed of application delivery is your goal, it's hard to beat Spotfire.
  • Self-taught
The mapping works as expected. You provide underlying data that corresponds to a latitude and longitude, and the visualization is created. The WMS functionality works very well if you would like to layer on some other type of geo-spatial information. My biggest complaint is in the geocoding. Spotfire won't recognize cities, states, or countries unless it is configured at the enterprise level on the server. At our company, it isn't configured, so I have to manually enter coordinates.

The mapping functionality continues to improve in Spotfire with additional features being added at each new release.
I rarely if ever work with the TIBCO support staff.
Most advanced users of Excel will be able to rapidly learn this product. There is a measurable learning curve for those individuals who aren't as capable in Excel.
Read Peter Wolf's full review
Brock Robertson | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 10, 2017

Satisfied with Spotfire

At Tapstone, Spotfire is primarily used to quickly visualize and amalgamate data used by other programs or from Excel documents that is stored in bulky table formats that are not optimally useful in their raw state. Spotfire aids in our ability to quickly summarize data into useful information, and point us in the direction of a useful drill down.
  • Spotfire's marking capibilities on line charts make it very easy to identify associated points on cluttered line graphs.
  • Spotfire's filtering makes it very easy to boil analyses down to specific subsets of data, and then build them back up to whole again.
  • Spotfire has the capability to link to many different data sources, making it relatively easy to keep an analysis up to date by linking to a live data source.
  • As an Excel user, it is an odd transition to shift from thinking in terms of cells to thinking in terms of tables and columns. Some things that would be intuitively easy with Excel (adding 4 random cells from a document by clicking on each of the 4 cells) become much more complicated when you have to think in terms rows and tables only.
  • When linking multiple live data sources together, then adding calculated columns to those data sources, then moving columns from one data table to another in one project, Spotfire can take a long time to open a project. It is also relatively easy to end up with a document that does not calculate the intended results in the most efficient way, and methods to troubleshoot inefficiencies are not always immediately obvious.
  • Scatter plot line formatting could be more customizable. By default, Spotfire wants to use the same line type for each series in a scatter plot, and it is not easy for this user to figure out if there is a way to change line types per series on a chart.
I would definitely recommend Spotfire to a colleague that has a large set of raw data and wants to quickly consolidate that set of data into meaningful graphs or charts - especially if the data as a whole is likely to bring up questions that could be addressed by drilling deeper into more specific categories of data. It also appears to be especially useful for keeping somewhat repetitive and common analyses live and quickly accessible.
Spotfire has the ability to connect to all data sources I have tried to connect it to. I give it an 8/10 because once you connect to a data source, there does not appear to be a simple way to edit that data connection (meaning if you wrote SQL to remove a subset of data, I have not found the way to alter that SQL later to change the subset of data).
The mapping features in Spotfire are a convenient way to add a quick visualization to an existing Spotfire analysis. The ability to add many layers, adjust transparencies / colors, the ability to add tooltips, and to color, size, and shape by just about anything are very useful. However, some of the customization is inferior to a geographic mapping specific software such as ArcGIS. The specific functionality that I wish was more customizable is the labels - such as being able to customize angle of text, whether it is in a text box, where each individual label shows up on a map, etc.
Basic tasks like generating meaningful information from large sets of raw data are very easy. The next step of linking to multiple live data sources and linking those tables and performing on the fly analysis of the imported data is understandably more difficult.
Read Brock Robertson's full review
Brett Domeny, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 02, 2017

Spotfire is Great For Data Visuals!

We use Spotfire for holistic business analysis. While we lack a centralized system database, Spotfire allows us to connect the right data points for comprehension in ways we would not have otherwise.
  • It helps us visualize and connect data into meaningful relationships quickly.
  • Has the abilities to implement quite complex statistical models or down to just simple charts to help review connected or manually loaded data.
  • Easy to use and learn. Great help topics and training tools available from TIBCO.
  • Could help to have better mobile support for on the go analysis of visualizations.
  • Cloud architect support would be helpful to be able to manipulate and create new visuals when away from my desktop.
  • Would be helpful at times to be able to connect more one-on-one with an individual vs. videos and help documentation.
*Helps take many different databases and connect them into a seamless visual display.
*Allows non-users of data (executives etc.) to be able to quickly grab what's important to them without having to spend a lot of time interpreting.
*Creates dynamic visualizations to allow for on-going update of data without having to "re-run" reports
  • Self-taught
Ove it's great to use. It would be great though if it had a cloud architect mode so you could do it via browser if needed.
Read Brett Domeny, MBA's full review
Zsolt Vigh P.Eng | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2017

Spotfire Eats Excel for Lunch

Nexen is using Spotfire across the whole organization. We primarily use it to handle large volumes of data and to build visualizations and dashboards. I have also used it extensively in the past to analyze large data sets, build out custom expressions, and use the statistical engines within the software to better understand data relationships.
  • Building data visualizations is infinitely easier with Spotfire compared to Excel.
  • Manipulating data in charts is another huge strength of Spotfire. Trellising data, removing data on the fly and coloring data trends based on different variables is incredibly easy.
  • The mapping feature allows you to build dynamic dashboards. I barely use IHS Accumap anymore now that I have built out my own visual dashboards using the GIS mapping feature.
  • Custom expressions can be cumbersome to learn and are not entirely intuitive.
  • Some simple coding tasks in Excel are a lot harder to do in Spotfire.
  • Not having the ability to set y axis intervals like you can in Excel for charts can be a bit frustrating at times.
Honestly, I use Spotfire whenever I can. It has made my job a lot easier, especially when I have to handle large datasets. I absolutely love the software. The cons I described previously, if improved would make the user experience even better.
  • Self-taught
I really enjoyed the online boot camp training program that is offered by TIBCO. It really helped me get up to speed quickly on the various features available. My only complaint would be that the personal license price is cost prohibitive. I contacted TIBCO after the training course to see if I could purchase a license for personal use, so I could continue my training at home and I was a bit surprised that it was $2,000 USD/year. I think if TIBCO lowered the licensing fee for personal use they would pick up more personal users which could lead to additional corporate accounts.
Read Zsolt Vigh P.Eng's full review
Helene Ear | TrustRadius Reviewer

Tibco Interview

We are using it as a used vehicles rating tool. I integrate and parameter data which are based on Excel files and 14 other colleagues are using it only to see data online, they manipulate a few filters to refine their search.
  • The best part of Spotfire is that we can integrate different kinds of files in order to complete every table
  • Spotfire provides a better view of the inconsistent data and gives us many possibilities to hide or to treat only the correct data
  • Besides displaying classical and representative graphics, we can also configure the project as an online app by adding buttons, by giving the consumers the possibility to switch between different tabs, as with a classical website.
  • It misses the possibility to enter or fill new data manually. We can display new fields but it's not possible to save the information that we fill and that we generate..

Well suited : Integrate files and new data.

Less appropriate : Integrating .XLSX isn't always easy because data types are not recognized.

Read Helene Ear's full review
Melissa Heil | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 31, 2017

Spotfire offers flexibility and continues to provide valuable enhancements

My organization uses TIBCO Spotfire to create visualizations for customers using our software.
  • Visualizations can be created in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Customers can create their own unique visualizations.
  • Visualizations can be shared with other users.
  • Our analysis is made up of multiple DXPs. It would be nice if there was an easy way to set a date filter and have it apply to all DXPs. It can be updated on one DXP and shared to the others so customers do not have to constantly change the date. The same applies to filters, but need to have an indicator if a filter is being applied.
  • Very difficult to trouble shoot when I have an issue. Probably will get better the more experience I get with using Spotfire.
  • Enhance the Print (Export to HTML) like the Export to PDF was enhanced.
Spotfire is well suited to report data that is in a data warehouse. Spotfire has not been easy to learn. Education was presented, but I do not believe there are enough examples to fix everyone's use.
  • In-person training
Probably could have learned what I needed to online, but it was good to have the time focused instruction
Read Melissa Heil's full review
John Michael Callen | TrustRadius Reviewer

Efficiency and Analytical Powerhouse in One Tool

Spotfire is used by several technical teams and across all asset divisions to quickly and efficiently conduct data analysis and visualizations.
  • The speed with which the tool can be used to create presentation-grade visuals.
  • Quickly being able to provide insight and derive correlations from large data sets while being able to filter/manipulate data on the fly.
  • Providing a spatial to graphical interface.
  • I think from my team's perspective, trying to find a better means of data storage has been a major issue. Creating databases that include all necessary data yet don't slow the application down so much that it is essentially unusable has been a challenge.
The ease with which one can quickly create visuals for presentations has been one of the biggest strong points in my experience.
Read John Michael Callen's full review
Tracey Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2017

We use Spotfire

We are using Spotfire to create a product for our customers that gives them insight into their business operations, on both the clinical and financial perspective. Our use-case is different, because we create and deliver generic dashboards; then when the customer logs in, the information link obtains the data specific to that customer, based on their login. This prevents the wrong customer seeing the wrong data. Given our use-case, I'm not convinced that Spotfire was the right choice as a solution, but we have been able to make it work and I have been impressed with the functionality and flexibility that Spotfire provides.
  • Flexibility - the ability to modify the HTML of text areas and the use of JavaScript and Iron Python
  • Visualization - the number of options available
  • Lack of QA of documentation. Sometimes, the documentation appears to have been written by an engineer, without the end user in mind. Steps are assumed/missing so it makes it difficult to follow and frustrating.
We are deploying generic visualizations so that the data that is shown is based on the customer's login information rather than deploying a Spotfire environment for each customer. As stated previously, Spotfire does not appear to be well suited for this use case; we've been able to make it work, but there are other products that may have a more straight-forward approach. However, if we had a single-threaded approach where we were deploying visualizations for one data warehouse, Spotfire appears to be well-suited for that approach.
  • In-person training
This gave us a decent starting point, but the instructor could not answer some of the concerns we had and seemed to gloss over some of the more important aspects. For example, when we asked about performance, she said, "Spotfire does not have any performance problems."
Read Tracey Gray's full review
Kirk Ashdown | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 27, 2017

Great product with more great potential!

Spotfire is a great tool. I didn't use it in my previous role, but I started using it almost 3 years ago when I moved into my current role. All the teams in this organization heavily rely on Spotfire on a daily basis and, from what I hear, it is spreading to more of the organization. We use it from production analysis to research projects.
  • I love that we can connect it straight to our database so that the data is continuously updated.
  • I have used Spotfire to automate some of my repetitive weekly responsibilities and it has given me hours back in my week.
  • There are so many functions that Spotfire can do that I haven't even been able to learn all of them. There are endless possibilities.
  • I wish that there was a way to put a background color to the visualizations. I take screen shots and put them in reports, but it's white on white which doesn't make for a very interesting report.
  • I have tried to do an automated weekly email of visualizations that I put on a report, but I have to open the report and take screen shots because they don't have the same formatting when it comes in the email. Disappointing when you spend a lot of time getting the formatting just right.
  • I wish that there were stacked area charts. That is the only visualization that I have wished to use and been unable to.
We have a database with everything from production to pressures and temperatures to item specific data which all links to Spotfire so that we can run analysis on just about anything, and it has helped us to see unthought of relationships, and change our processes to be more accurate and efficient. I have not found anywhere where it wasn't helpful.
Read Kirk Ashdown's full review

Pixel Perfect reports (29)
Customizable dashboards (263)
Report Formatting Templates (229)
Drill-down analysis (258)
Formatting capabilities (270)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (197)
Report sharing and collaboration (244)
Publish to Web (202)
Publish to PDF (241)
Report Versioning (18)
Report Delivery Scheduling (153)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (276)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (242)
Predictive Analytics (208)
Multi-User Support (named login) (213)
Role-Based Security Model (181)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (199)
Responsive Design for Web Access (156)
Dedicated iOS Application (110)
Dedicated Android Application (11)
3.4
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (129)
REST API (53)
Javascript API (52)
iFrames (39)
Java API (44)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (53)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (45)

About TIBCO Spotfire

TIBCO Spotfire® is a data visualization platform that aims to speed individual time to insight and spur analytics adoption across the organization. According to the vendor, Spotfire helps users quickly and easily generate insights with three new ways to support their analytical preferences: NLQ powered search, AI-driven recommendations, and direct manipulation. Users can add context with native streaming for integrated analyses of real-time and historical data, best-in-class geoanalytics, and one-click predictive analytics to go beyond basic visualizations and understand the factors driving trends and what will happen next.

TIBCO Cloud Spotfire® provides the same business intelligence tools as Spotfire Desktop, with the addition of web authoring.

According to the vendor, Spotfire's differentiating hybrid in-memory/in-database analytics architecture supports the most demanding enterprise needs, easily scaling to thousands of users and limitless rows of data.

Spotfire is deployed in companies in financial services, energy, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, government, travel & logistics, helathcare, life sciences and more.

TIBCO Spotfire Features

BI Platform Features
Has featureAdministration via Windows App
Has featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Has featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Does not have featureROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Has featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Has featureETL Capability
Has featureETL Scheduler
Supported Data Sources Features
Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle
Has featureSalesforce
Has featureSAP
Has featureGoogle Analytics
BI Standard Reporting Features
Does not have featurePixel Perfect reports
Has featureCustomizable dashboards
Has featureReport Formatting Templates
Ad-hoc Reporting Features
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Has featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Does not have featureReport Versioning
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling
Does not have featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featurePredictive Analytics
Has featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Has featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Access Control and Security Features
Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Has featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Does not have featureSingle Sign-On (SSO)
Mobile Capabilities Features
Has featureREST API
Has featureJavascript API
Has featureiFrames
Has featureJava API
Has featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Has featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)

TIBCO Spotfire Screenshots

TIBCO Spotfire Videos (4)

TIBCO Spotfire Downloadables

TIBCO Spotfire PlatformPlease contact TIBCO sales
SaaS EditionPricing DetailsTerms
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Analyst$125/mo, $1250/yrPer Seat
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Business Author$65/mo, $650/yrPer Seat
TIBCO Spotfire for Amazon Web Services$0.99Per Hour (Starting)
TIBCO Spotfire Cloud EnterprisePlease contact TIBCO sales
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Consumer$25/mo, $250/yrPer Seat

For Enterprise engagements, please contact TIBCO directly for a custom price quote.

TIBCO Spotfire Support Options