- It's flexible for visualizing the data and saves you a lot of time.
- Allows you to make complex plots that would be difficult to make using other tools.
- Making moving average plots is too difficult, and I have not found any helpful information through the "help" option in TIBCO Spotfire.
- There are no 'basic' tutorials for the main functions, or at least I have not found them.
- When I export a figure, the resolution is not good, regardless of the format used. This has created some problems when generating high-resolution figures for publication.
- Advanced visualization.
- It can connect to all a variety of data sources and also integrate with other software like R, Python, Matlab etc., to enhance the usability.
- Easy to publish for any user to view through a web player without any need to install software.
- Some features or visualization demand that the data be embedded and it cannot work for external data.
- Axis scale adjustments for multiple scales are not that great.
- Exported visualizations to PDF or others don't look that good.
- Automated reports/dashboards with the ability to save to a PowerPoint.
- Customizable visualizations.
- Allows senior leadership to modify reports as they desire.
- We are still learning more about this product and haven't seen many cons. More information on Information Links may be needed.
TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire is the leader in visualization game unless you have a Web Development Team"
- Data integration with teh vast number of data sources.
- Fast data rendering - no delay in data loading.
- API for customization.
- API is not well documented.
- Licensing fees too high.
- Client is heavy on the desktop hardware.
- Intuitive visualization
- Support numerous visualization method
- Can incorporate other programming language, such as R, to make the development more versatile.
- Provide internet access to end users.
- The language about how to use marking sometimes is confusing
- Statistical analysis more depends on external language.
- Information link sometimes doesn't behave as expected.
- Used to visualize information in a specific manner.
- Used to help make business decisions on the fly by showing dynamic information.
- Well suited for managing very large datasets.
- Not as useful for purpose charting, whereby data is kept in a simple format.
- Connects to a wide variety of data sources quickly and easily for non- IT personnel.
- Simple but powerful data transformation and cleanup tools.
- Quick and easy visualization setup.
- Built in tools to customize visualizations, process automation, and perform complex analytics.
- No manual for new users converting from other platforms like Microsoft Excel. However, Tibco has over the last year significantly improved the availability of how tos through the Tibco Community forum, Blog, and Tips & Tricks web page.
- Not able to correct or change data in the Spotfire environment. You must go to the data source to make corrections.
- Tools and features offerings vary from Spotfire platforms (Desktop, Cloud, Enterprise, Web Client). So if you are working with different clients or departments that are on a differing platform, they may not be able to see or perform certain functions in an analysis.
- Quickly and easily aggregating and visualizing simple or complex data sets into an analysis.
- Provides both historical and real-time analytical capability.
- Ability to visualize data on a map or custom diagram is a powerful tool.
- Combine multiple data files into a single data file fast with the ability to transform the data in numerous ways.
- It can deal with a huge amount of data.
- Different graphic charts can be chosen related to the data you want to show.
- TIBCO Spotfire provides a good filtering system in order to show specific data.
- Sometimes I cannot tell if the data shown is right. The possibility of tracking data would be good.
- Some tables cannot be exported to MS Power Point.
- When importing data from clipboard the automatic matching is wrong sometimes and if you do not realise this you have empty tables later.
- Makes it very easy to manage large amounts of data.
- Interactive dash boarding for effective visualization.
- Allows linkage to database information for quick timely data access.
- I would like to see the ability for more robust formatting for visualizations with the ability to format using right click rather than having to pull up properties every time.
- I think more robust graphical interfaces to representing data and the associated labelling for those graphs. For example an easier way to provide cluster graphs.
- On the visualization it would be nice to have the ability to hide the headers for the respective choice particularly the 'colour by' options.
- Spotfire is great at letting you see the changes within the visualizations as you make them giving you the opportunity to be sure you are creating exactly what you want to see.
- Having the ability to allow users to view your visualizations over an internet connection and still modify their view without actually making changes to the file is a great option.
- The ability to use links to bring multiple data sources together helps to provide data that is useful to the end user.
- There is a function limitation that does not allow you to create table visualizations/details on demand if your data is in a cube format.
- Property controls are a great feature but creating a control that will limit the data is not always intuitive so you have to be very familiar with how to create the property controls and assign them.
- It would be nice to have a little more control over how table/cross-table/summary tables are created, such as being able to create a table that has the same look and feel as if it were created in say Excel with the functionality of Spotfire.
TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire: great to use, easy to learn. Luckely, because the trainings are of poor quality"
- The drill down of data works very well. No static reports anymore, but fancy reports, from which you can check the details (by the drill down).
- We haven't worked with it yet, but I expect the relations which can be found in the data can be very helpful.
- I find it very useful that we can make one report with several datasources underneath. (I'm used to Business Objects, you couldn't do that very easy in that too.)
- The courses aren't good. No documentation and I think it's called 'robotcourses'. You get to know what you can do with Spotfire (how to click), but principles, pros and cons aren't explained.
- TIBCO could pay more attention to the dataset, how it's best organized to get the best results from your reports.
- It would be helpful if the course could be held in Dutch.
Making trends is very easy to do with this tool in short time.
Making a kind of reports which you can make very easily with Business Objects ( a lot of numeric values on a page, with a small lettersize) is not easy to do and it doesn't look nice. It's not 'pixelperfect'.
- Drill Downs, the visualizations within Spotfire are fantastic. Our management and staff absolutely love the power it provides to really drill down into data to get more details on the information they are looking at.
- We pull in data from several different tools on different platforms into one visualization. This was a must have for us.
- User friendly - with simple training our users were able to be up and running to view and navigate any visualizations that were created for them. Creating the visualizations took more training. However the online training was really fantastic. Very well done and that is a huge plus with any new tool.
- Pie chart labels, it would be great to get more options for sizing and placement.
- It would be great to have some pre-defined themes. Right now you can have a white background or black for the visualizations which is really nice, but it would be great to have a few more options.
- On the bar chart labels, it would be great to be able to maneuver or change those as well as the pie chart labels. I am duplicating this one as its not so easy to come up with Spotfire complaints, I really like this tool and am thrilled that we have it.
- Spotfire is very simple to learn and to understand.
- Spotfire is great to use as a tool to share patterns and trends and allow others less familiar with Spotfire to be able to simply search the data.
- Data can be imported from external sources such as an ERP like SAP, Excel, or Access.
- The simplicity of the software sometimes causes limitations to users not familiar with coding.
- Online resources for learning and problem solving are sometimes few and far between.
- Importing Excel files was fantastically easy compared to other BI tools. Other tools required selecting the range of data in Excel and creating a table out of that prior to import. Others had multi-step processes. Accessing an Excel file in Spotfire was the easiest.
- The recommended visualizations are fantastic for users who aren't as comfortable exploring data that they have possession of. This feature automatically suggests ways to visualize data enabling users to start exploring much sooner rather than figuring out how they could possibly 'see' their data.
- Filtering schemes are one of my personal favorites. I often walk groups of people through several scenarios as we explore data together. To prepare for these sessions I like to have filtering schemes set up so that I can quickly choose a scheme that includes several filters that get instantly applied to a page. This is fantastic because it saves time and often provides a dramatic change to the visualization depending on the scheme I select. It's a really cool feature.
- I feel that the overall look and feel of Spotfire can be improved. When put up against some close competitors, Spotfire beats them all in function but it's a bit lacking in polish. This isn't important to a user like myself but when projected on a huge display it doesn't look as modern as some competitors.
- Rapid visualization of data: Very little setup from data to visualization (even compared with Excel).
- Extremely flexible visualization capabilities: Drag and drop features alone easily provide for visualization beyond 3-dimensions. Together with custom functions, Spotfire offers rapid high dimensional visualization capabilities.
- Steep learning curve for the extremely rich drag-and-drop features that are not always obvious.
- Steep learning curve for custom function capabilities that are not intuitive at all. TIBCO trainings are almost a must in order to take full advantage of these capabilities.
TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire is pretty intuitive, user friendly data analysis and visualization software"
- Ease of data raw data import for analysis, accepts variety of data files.
- Visualization, useful for presentations.
- Access to custom calculations to add new columns
- Better access to visualization feature, better graphical interface
- Could make calculations easier to use, simplify the syntax for people with non-programming background
- Application load times could be improved. Very often Spotfire hangs after 24 hours of use.
- Automation of live data is very quick.
- Easy to get used to.
- Many ways to manipulate the data.
- Some limitations on several visualizations that cannot be done with Spotfire.
- Can create charts in Excel that cannot be replicated in Spotfire at this time.
- Speed and efficiency with large data-sets is somewhat lacking.
TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire keeps up the heat on readily accessible analytics for business users."
- Spotfire's interactive visualizations with drill-down capability make it extremely easy to gain insight from large data sets, and deliver that same ability to business users within minimal hand holding.
- The ability of Spotfire to "mashup" data from disparate data sources creates agile analytics that can provide real business insight in a manufacturing environment (e.g. process data combined with quality data).
- The strong capability of the web based platform relative to the traditional desktop platform makes it incredibly easy to disseminate analytics across multiple user groups.
- Default visualizations and colors are visually appealing and allow for quick diving into the data rather than spending significant time fiddling with the setup to get the data to "look right".
- The help files for building custom expressions within analytics files should be significantly updated to provide better usage examples. Frequently analysts have to look externally to find answers as to how to properly parse a custom expression.
- Errors require more feedback to direct the user as to how to correct the root cause of the error.
- Visualization builder should be context sensitive to prevent selections of incompatible data, or impossible axes, etc.
- Spptfore allows our users to 'discover' data patterns and to spot trends. We use it to perform financial fraud analytics
- Spotfire allows our users to easily drill down on data across hierarchies.
- Spotfire enables us to easily prototype a certain graph and data visualization for presentation.
- Spotfire enables us to do data profiling when we don't understand the relationships between the data.
- Product installation and product management is NOT as refined as some other enterprise tools
- The 'programing interface' (e.g the formula screen, the user function screen) can be improve so that developers can easily program their code without having to strain their eyes to look for errors
- At least with the version we are using, we need improvement on database connectivity and the entire data model organization. There is no obvious way to update the data model without throwing the entire thing out of the window.
As a field consultant I deploy TIBCO Spotfire, develop data visualization reports/dashboards/templates, and provide on-site training and mentoring. Most of my clients use Spotfire as an enterprise reporting solution. I have also helped the vast majority of those same organizations deploy ad hoc analysis environments. The ad hoc use cases are typically inter departmental analysis projects.
Almost all of my clients select TIBCO Spotfire for it's ability to easily visualize data, merge disparate data sets, scale across an expanding enterprise, and handle data loading in a variety of methods. Additionally, I work with a large number of clinical research and life sciences firms who have read about the growing number of Spotfire extensions (custom add-ins) that are geared specially to their industry. This level of customization generates a great level of interest in Spotfire.
- Data transformation. Pivoting, un-pivoting, aggregation, and numerous other data transformations can be achieved through a simple "Information Link" GUI or through custom SQL. Additional transformations, joins, calculation expressions can be achieved within the client as well.
- Standardized visualizations. Spotfire provides all of the typical types of visualizations (bar charts, scatter plots, tree maps, geo, dashboards, etc.) in a clean standard format that is easily recognized by users.
- Strong SaaS capabilities. Strong web-player out of the box that can be embedded and manipulated in your own site.
- Robust use of data structure. Spotfire provides a range of options from importing spreadsheets to connecting to existing databases. Data can be merged within Spotfire via the GUI, pushed to the database, or return select data sets based on user actions.
- Simple web and client interface. Intuitive interface for users and visualization report developers. Visualization options are limited for the sake of standardization
- Depth of reporting capabilities. Simple enough for a casual user to develop simple reports, but powerful enough data transformation and calculation expressions to build complex reports.
- One the greatest improvements with the latest versions of Spotfire (v6 and v7) is its ability to load enormous data sets. Spotfire was already the industry leader as an in-memory data visualization tool (as well as a hybrid data on-demand method), but it now supports numerous "big-data" data connections. This allows Spotfire to push demanding data processing into the database and return only the necessary metadata to build a visualization.
- Visual user interface customization has improved dramatically with the latest Spotfire versions. Version 6 allowed for much more custom HTML/CSS/Java Script to produce unique visual solutions. Version 7 took that further by allowing a GUI (point and click) to modify nearly the entire user interface. Essentially you can alter the UI to the point that Spotfire begins to look like any webpage you like.
- Error handling. The data engine and expression builder have almost no organic error handling or troubleshooting capabilities. Program errors, while minimal, are vague and appear spontaneously.
- Training for data transformation user interface. On-site and online training for visualization report development is good, but data engine training is minimal at best.
- Flexibility of visualization design. Design options are very limited and are not as powerful as Tableau or MS Excel 2010+.
- While version 7 has provided extensive flexibility in modifying the user interface, the amount of flexibility in adjusting data visualizations is still limited.
- Auto-save or version control. There is no auto-save or automated version control. The client will crash sporadically and all work is lost since the last file save.
- Progressiveness of visualization designs. Spotfire lags behind its competitors in the range of visualization types and the options available to manipulate the current visualizations.
- Standardization of design controls. Report authoring options that you would expect to be ubiquitous are not and those that are available are sometimes found in different locations.
- Resource hog! Spotfire requires a good deal of memory, processing power, and efficiently tuned data sources. Spotfire v7 is especially demanding on memory and processing power. All versions will demand efficiently tuned in database sources. Poorly tuned databases will become a bottleneck in performance.
- Upgrading can be challenging if you have custom extensions or Spotfire reports using complex operations (eg. large in-memory data, large number of tabs, complex logic, multiple data sources merging, etc.)
The greatest strength of Spotfire is its ability to merge data from numerous data sources and easily visualize said data. Additionally, Spotfire allows several methods to load data to achieve optimal performance while also being able to analyze across data sets.
- We like being able to look at large data sets to analyze the data we already have.
- The mapping tool is helpful.
- Multiple tables with maps on a single visualization are very helpful.
- Map labels are very limiting when looking at a large data set. Threshold on labels should be limitless.
- Markers on maps shapes should have more options.
- Zooming in on maps should be more smooth.
TIBCO Spotfire Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About TIBCO Spotfire
TIBCO SpotfireⓇ is a data discovery and business intelligence tool with capabilities that range from colorful graphic visualizations for the entry-level user to in-depth statistical analysis. According to the vendor, their built in analytical engines help users utilize the results of data mining, help in-house intelligence analysts crunch proprietary numbers, and drive new business growth. The vendor also says they help anticipate opportunities and risks by seamlessly integrating predictive models and real-time event streams into user-friendly business intelligence solutions that work.
TIBCO Spotfire® Cloud provides the same business intelligence tools as Spotfire Desktop, with the addition of web authoring and unlimited sharing. Because it is software-as-a-service, it requires no installation.
Spotfire Platform is designed for larger deployments within organizations. According to the vendor, its differentiating hybrid in-memory/in-database analytics architecture supports the most demanding enterprise needs, easily scaling to thousands of users and limitless rows of data.
Spotfire is is deployed in companies in energy, financial services, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, and life sciences industries.
TIBCO Spotfire Videos (3)
TIBCO Spotfire Downloadables
TIBCO Spotfire Integrations
TIBCO Spotfire Competitors
|On-premise Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|TIBCO Spotfire Platform||Please contact TIBCO sales|
|SaaS Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|TIBCO Spotfire Cloud - Monthly||$200||Per Month, Per Authoring Seat|
|TIBCO Spotfire Cloud - Annual||$2,000||Per Year, Per Authoring Seat|
|TIBCO Spotfire for Amazon Web Services||$0.99||Per Hour (Starting)|
|TIBCO Spotfire Cloud Enterprise||Please contact TIBCO sales|
For Enterprise engagements, please contact TIBCO directly for a custom price quote.
TIBCO Spotfire Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
TIBCO Spotfire Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Mobile Web|
|Supported Countries:||Available in all regions|