Ubuntu Pros and Cons

May 12, 2021
In most of our virtual machines and servers we generally use Ubuntu Linux to address specific system requirements for clouds as well to …

Power User OS

May 10, 2021
Ubuntu Linux is used by employees in the organization who have elected to use it over the standard issue Macbooks. It allows us to have a …

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Ubuntu Linux, and make your voice heard!

What is Ubuntu Linux?

Ubuntu Linux is a Linux-based operating system for personal computers, tablets and smartphones. There is also a Server version which is used on physical or virtual servers in the data center.

9 people want pricing too

What is Ubuntu Linux?

Ubuntu Linux Technical Details

Subhan Raj | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's better than macOS and Windows, while the Kali Linux was made for different purposes, so there can't be a head to head comparison between Kali and Ubuntu. As far as the macOS and Windows, the Ubuntu is better, first, it's a FOSS software, and second, it has better support for development.
Other alternatives for Ubuntu are Windows, Mac, Fedora, Mint Linux, Debian etc. While Ubuntu is free to use, Windows is an expensive OS, while for Mac you need to buy expensive Apple Hardware. I haven't had the chance to use other distributions of Linux, but as far as I know, Ubuntu is the easiest and most intuitive to use.
So the main reason behind selecting Ubuntu among others was the easy implementation of services in it. Apart from that, as compared to other Linux its GUI is far more better to use and learn. The support of Debian packages and other software implementations are also great in it.
May 10, 2021

Power User OS

Ubuntu Linux gives the user more control over the workings of the computer and provides fewer interruptions to a productive workday. It also does not intrude with long updates constantly for dubious features for a work environment. Long term support also means that the hardware can work for longer in a consistent state.
Sometimes I also use Linux CentOS but Ubuntu Linux is widely used, so software and other debugging guides are easily available on the web for Ubuntu Linux. It's also very easy to install Ubuntu Linux on new system and have it running in no time. Also, graphics of Ubuntu Linux are improving in new releases, and that's a good thing.
Gaurav Masand | TrustRadius Reviewer
Ubuntu Linux was preferred over Windows because
  • Lots of customizable options make it easy to control running processes
  • Deployment of applications and micro services is easy when integrated with Docker, and Docker itself is not easy to use with Windows
  • Applications are easily scalable in case of traffic surge or drop
April 13, 2021

Ubuntu as a developer

Balázs Kiss | TrustRadius Reviewer
A viable, free, widely used alternative to any modern operating systems on the market. Ubuntu [Linux] is constantly improved, has an enormous user base, a very good community. It's one of the most advanced Linux distributions of today, and can be highly customized to the point that almost any requirement can be filled with it.
Mauricio E Gleizer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Windows 10: Expensive, with more security problems, more difficult to keep updated and less variety of free / open source applications. Its use encourages bad information security practices.
OpenSuse Linux: A different distribution at source (Suse Linux), use of rpm packages (with fewer repositories and incompatible with Ubuntu Linux dpkg packages), and whose main objective is to be a "testing ground" for its paid version / professional, SUSE enterprise Linux.
We chose Ubuntu largely because of the large user base and because desktop setups can be easy to learn for people used to Windows computers and, of course, other distributions of Linux. Not a single one of the people we work with has had formal education or training with computers, so it is essential that the operating system(s) we use be easy to use. Ubuntu suits us particularly for that reason: it even has a great deal of printed information available.
For security purposes, we tested Kali Linux as well, but found that, for our purposes, Kali Linux did not offer enough advantages. Our first candidate was Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but we wanted to stick to completely open source software.
For end users, Windows Server would have been the most familiar, but we were not able to afford it and most of the users of the software we rely upon most, Moodle, use some Linux distribution, so we stuck with Ubuntu Linux. We were also not able to afford the licensing for Windows and were not able to plan for any price increases or changes in licensing that may come along. We found Linux versions most flexible and useful for the plans we have made.
I've used other Linux distributions like Debian, Mint, Suse, Slackware, and others. I also ran OpenBSD as my primary OS for more than 3 years. We maintain FreeBSD based servers as well. Other than Debian, the supported hardware and packages doesn't seem as good as with Ubuntu Linux.
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
We have decided to go with Ubuntu Linux, as it is free. There is an option to purchase support from Canonical, which is excellent. However, it remains a free product, and if you have the skillset in-house - immediate return on investment. RHEL is also great; yet, Ubuntu Linux, being Debian based, has a wide variety of natively running products, and almost anything (if not everything) supports Ubuntu Linux.
We mainly chose Ubuntu Linux for its broad compatibility and package availability. Where we have a choice we prefer to deploy software on a Linux platform rather than Windows. Ubuntu is supported by our backup software and we find that updates typically complete without errors. Support has been good when we have needed them, although I can say the same for Red Hat as well, our previous distribution. We do use Suse and CentOS for some appliances where we do not have the choice of distribution. I have found those to be serviceable as well, although we don't have the latitude for package install or patching as much with them as with Ubuntu Linux.
SUSE is a European-based Linux system company, I have used it extensively over a couple of months and it's stable. I have always loved CentOS and for the past 4 years, I have used this OS as my primary workstation OS. You just don't need to reboot the system ever, it just is so so stable. I would definitely recommend this over Ubuntu, however, it is a bit heavier on memory than Ubuntu. So even if you compare all of these guys, I would say Ubuntu is just smoother than all of the above OS, however, stability wise, CentOS wins.
We compared against Windows 10, Manjaro, and Fedora. Windows 10 lost on cost, and even usability versus Ubuntu. Manjaro and Fedora are both bleeding edge, providing great features but lacking the stability offered by Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the best of both worlds for us, providing us a clean modern interface and still being stable and well tested enough to use as the main driver for the majority of our employees.
Prior to selecting Ubuntu Linux, we looked at CentOS Linux. Obviously, both are distributions of Linux, with Ubuntu hailing from the Debian lineage, where CentOS is derived from RHEL. Ultimately, we decided on Ubuntu because it's a bit more user-friendly. However, we could have just as easily gone with CentOS due to its ability to leverage RHEL packages as necessary.
Christian Shaheen | TrustRadius Reviewer
If I had to pick one server OS to use forever it would be Windows but I'm glad I don't have to do that because these are both great OSes. Ubuntu has many strengths such as being free, it's package management system, and its ability to seemingly run forever if left untouched. Windows, on the other hand, does many things that Ubuntu has struggled with for years such as a quality user interface, simple file server services, simple file management, and, of course, compatibility.
We chose Ubuntu because it has lower licensing fees and better free support. We like Debian-based distributions in general, and Ubuntu in particular. Other Debian-based distros we use include Kali and Mint. We've also done trials on Fedora on the desktop, but found that Ubuntu made more sense and was easier to support.
While the major Linux releases are all fairly mature and stable, I find Ubuntu to be the release I turn to the most. It has a consistent look and feel that spans across the various versions of Ubuntu, which I really like. It is easy to install and configure, and updates are easy.
Leonel Quinteros | TrustRadius Reviewer
Historically Ubuntu has been one step forward from Red Hat and CentOS distributions about software versions and tools usability. In the last years they've caught up and it's very comparable, but at this point, my decision was already made and I will continue choosing Ubuntu, even when I work with many CentOS instances across organizations. Windows Server is a niche option for me now. It only makes sense for LAN servers to use Active Directory and deploy Windows workstations across an organization. Other than that, even Microsoft is pushing .NET Core to run on any platform, so there is no reason to host .NET software on Windows Servers anymore.