Ubuntu Linux Reviews

February 28, 2020

Ubuntu Linux - Great alternative to RHEL.

Return on Investment

• ROI is instant, as it is free :) However, the long term benefit is that you can run enterprise-level open source software on it.
  • It requires the Sysadmin to be familiar with Ubuntu Linux, so this can command a higher cost of the resource to manage it.
December 23, 2019

Ubuntu the first step to an Open Source work space

Return on Investment

• We transitioned to Ubuntu to combat the Microsoft TCO, this had great reductions on cost spread over the entire business.
  • A side effect was that people started to lean more to open-source software solutions reducing the total license cost overhead even more.
October 22, 2019

Your Developers Will Love Ubuntu

Return on Investment

• The massive user community made it easy for my team to resolve our migration issues without needing to engage in professional support, saving us money.
  • Our Ubuntu migration has enabled us to move off of Microsoft platforms to better align with our customers' desires to move toward open-source platforms in support of their cost-saving efforts.
  • Some users had difficulty making the transition to Ubuntu Linux, requiring us to ensure we had appropriate training in place. This primarily the form of mentoring from other, more experienced users, but we opted for a few licenses to Linuxacademy.com to help with the migration.
July 18, 2019

Great OS replacement, still needs some tweaking to be perfect

Return on Investment

• We've been able to standardize our development enthronement to avoid conflicts.
  • Canonical Livepatch helps cut down reboots and shutdowns due to updates.
  • Some programs on Linux don't perform quite as well as their Windows counterparts and it becomes difficult to adopt them.
June 19, 2019

Our solution for mid-range desktops , high-performance video editing, on-premise servers, and the cloud.

Return on Investment

• We have only seen a positive ROI. It's free to license.
  • It's easier to use and support than most other distributions, so there are reduced labor costs.
  • Adding Ubuntu to our mixed network of Mac and Windows computers has made more applications and solutions possible.
June 05, 2019

Ubuntu Linux - the best Linux distribution

Return on Investment

• There are many things that you can use Ubuntu Linux for, even in a Windows-based environment. For example, network monitoring is handled very well by Ubuntu Linux (using Open NMS).
  • Since Ubuntu Linux is freely available, you don't have to worry about purchasing a license for each server you build.
  • Ubuntu Linux also runs well as a virtual machine on the Hyper-V server.
Leonel Quinteros | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 23, 2019

Your best overall Linux distribution of choice

Return on Investment

• Systems administration with Ubuntu is easy with little deep knowledge about it. Docs and community publications are great resources for any task you need to perform on any Ubuntu server and the organization can save several salaries of specialized sys admins in favor of more active roles.
  • Having been an Ubuntu user for many years personally, setting up new Ubuntu servers on my organization came with zero cost for me. I just deployed one instance from my hosting/cloud provider and started working right after it was running, no need to ask support or hire new staff for these tasks.
  • Replacing paid options with Ubuntu have also saved thousands of dollars on Windows Server licenses. I've migrated Windows/SQL Server based systems to Ubuntu/MySQL/PostgreSQL several times during my career and saved about USD 5000/year in licenses to many of them.
Read Leonel Quinteros's full review
Linda Sasenick | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 10, 2019

Ubuntu Linux - the universe of "open source" (free!) awaits you!

Return on Investment

• What's the ROI on free? Technically, infinite - not having to pay for software is a huge deal for a small company.
  • Ubuntu Linux extends the lifecycle of equipment - because it's so resource efficient, you don't constantly need to upgrade because the operating system is consuming so much RAM. In fact, you can rejuvenate older Windows equipment which can no longer run effectively by replacing Windows with Ubuntu Linux.
  • On the negative side, a user can get bogged down with technical difficulties, taking time away from more productive activities. It's a great solution for those comfortable and willing to learn new technology (or, if there's a tech-savvy, experienced, "go to" in the company).
Read Linda Sasenick's full review
Dave Linden | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2019

Ubuntu Linux, A solution for businesses that needs to be evaluated

Return on Investment

• In our case ROI is hard to calculate. It has allowed us to solve business challenges and not have to purchase new hardware to do so.
  • On the negative side, it has added another OS to our mix. Support staff now has to be trained or hired with the requirement of Linux knowledge.
Read Dave Linden's full review
Erick de Leon Ponciano | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2018

New experiences using Ubuntu

Return on Investment

• We have not measured this type of scenario since has not been a critical platform until now.
  • When we are required to restore the systems we take 2 paths, we use the shadow of the virtual one and in other cases, it reinstalls the system. It does not take long.
Read Erick de Leon Ponciano's full review
February 28, 2019

Ubuntu Linux, a Great Way to Extend a Computer's Life.

Return on Investment

• Ubuntu Linux allowed me to use an older Lenovo laptop for much longer than I would have been able to if using Windows. This allowed me to utilize my available funds for other assets.
  • When I first began using Ubuntu Linux there was a steep learning curve. I ran into multiple issues with hardware drivers being unavailable for my device. As a result, I learned how to compile my own drivers. The computer skills that I learned by using Ubuntu Linux carried over into my job as a healthcare simulation specialist.
  • Even though I learned a lot through the issues I had with hardware drivers on Ubuntu Linux, the time it took me to figure out how to navigate these issues negatively impacted my efficiency at work.
December 18, 2018

Full Ubuntu Linux Review

Return on Investment

• Using Ubuntu Linux for my troubleshooting purposes has given me a reliable tool which has proven itself over and over. Being able to recover data written off by other techs makes me look pretty good in my field.
  • Being able to use on older machines which do not have a valid up-to-date OS makes these machines worth keeping around.
Jeff Hanson | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 17, 2018

A great alternative to Windows for light duty processing

Return on Investment

• We have been able to repurpose old hardware and make it useful for other use cases such as sandboxing, or running light-weight OS's that don't tax the computer processer and memory the way Windows continues grow over time.
  • We have been able to rely in Ubuntu based PCs to provide development tools for more employees at a lower cost
  • We have been able to familiarize ourselves with Linux on a PC basis and strengthen our ability to perform similar tasks in a server environment, which we also operate in.
Read Jeff Hanson's full review
Maike Holthuijzen | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 14, 2018

My experience with Ubuntu Linux

Return on Investment

• Most of the work in our research team is conducted on a Linux server running Ubuntu. Thus, our research progress relies heavily on the proper functioning of the Ubuntu operating system. Interfacing with the remote server via Ubuntu is intuitive and simple and has allowed us to complete code development and run large analyses.
  • There have been a few issues with software not running properly on Ubuntu, and I had to use a Windows computer to do some other work I would have preferred to do on the Linux server. I attempted to remedy the issues, but I was not able to do so. When this happened I lost several hours of time I could have devoted to more productive activities.
  • The best thing about Ubuntu is that it is free! Since I work in a research organization that is somewhat limited in funding, this helps my organization save money.
Read Maike Holthuijzen's full review
July 22, 2018

Ubuntu - The first real competitor to Windows

Return on Investment

• Time in deployment: rather than spending 10s of hours unpacking and building packages, just pop the USB into the slot and boot.
  • Development: Ubuntu works with Windows, software via Wine, and it is packaged natively in Ubuntu, so having that functionality out of the box is very helpful.
  • The terminal is very sexy in Ubuntu.

About Ubuntu Linux

Ubuntu Linux is a Linux-based operating system for personal computers, tablets and smartphones. There is also a Server version which is used on physical or virtual servers in the data center.