Veeam Backup & Replication

Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews

TRUE

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

We use Veeam Backup & Replication to backup our VMware server VMs. We are even able to do an hourly backup for a critical file server, which is not something we were able to do with our previous backup product. Now that we have it implemented we are working toward offline storage (AWS or Azure) and also local immutable storage. We are having some difficulty with SAN-based backups (where the product can take a backup directly from the SAN device and therefore have a smaller performance impact compared to VMware-based backups). So far their support hasn't been great to work with on this issue, but we're still trying to work through it.

We have Veeam Essentials licensing, which is priced very competitively, as well. Overall I'm excited about the capabilities that Veeam provides.
  • backups run pretty quickly
  • the SAN-based backup is a nice feature (but we are having trouble with it at the moment)
  • Immutable storage feature
  • Cloud-based storage
  • Tighten up the SAN-based backups. We use Tegile/IntelliFlash/Tintri and something just isn't right with that interface
  • Provide some administrative tools for moving backup storage from one device to another. When needed, this is a critical operation.
The Veeam Essentials licensing is great for smaller virtualized environments (<50 backup targets), but I really can't imagine an environment where Veeam wouldn't be a good solution.
~50. This about what we had targeted and expected.
I use Veeam Backup & Replication to back up my test virtual machines in my home lab. It's easy to use and doesn't require much effort to maintain.
It's just a home lab, but as it's used to test new things sometimes a fast restore is required as I break things. When using Veeam Backup & Replication, it's just a couple of minutes to restore all my VM's.
  • With just one backup job all my current and newly created VM's are safe without any hassle.
  • Quick rollback makes restoring a VM lightning fast.
  • Backups don't take up a lot of storaspace due to the deduplication .
  • I would like to have some more monitoring on backup jobs, e.g. unusual growth of changed data due to ransomware. I know it's available in Veeam ONE but it would like to have it in Veeam Backup & Replication.
  • Startup time of the management console could be a bit faster.
I think its perfect for all virtualized environments large or small. It's easy to set up and maintain so even small companies without much IT employees can rely on good backups. If you don't require any fancy backup things, you just want to have a reliable backup of your VM's, installation and configuration won't take more than one hour.
I have about 8 virtual machines in my home lab and all are kept safe with Veeam Backup & Replication. I don't have any other (physical) systems I would like to backup so this setup is all I need. I would like to have an additional backup to tape but that's not available in the Community edition.
Veeam helped me organize the company's backup and we made it faster to restore virtual machines and shared folders. We were using an old commercial solution that no longer met our needs and Veeam gave us the breath we needed to fill that gap. With the old backup tool, we couldn't put together a viable recovery plan that would suit the department's interests, and with Veeam our problems were solved.
  • Fast virtual machine backup
  • Fast virtual machine recovery
  • Good backup job reports
  • integration with open source NAS solutions
  • web version for admin console
Backup of virtual environments like vSphere, Hyper-V and the like. Backups of physical endpoints and shared folders in NAS and/or SMB environments.
We have 10 protected workloads as we use the community solution. However we use Veeam to back up full 60+ virtual machines.
We use Veeam Backup & Replication at our company to back up all of our VMware VMs. Every single VM is completely backed up and deltas run so quickly. We used to have such bottlenecks with our backups that we had to choose less critical information to not back up. Now we are backing up everything in half the time that a selective backup used to take.
  • Backup speed
  • Ease of use
  • Incredible reporting
  • Storage devices occasionally need to be rediscovered
  • See a list of files being backed up before the backup writes
Veeam Backup & Replication is amazing. The support is responsive and helpful. The setup is a process but it is well documented and once you understand the Veeam Backup & Replication terms, it makes complete sense. The speed of the backups, ease of use, and thoroughness in reporting are all amazing. It is by far the best backup solution I have used.
40 VMs. This is more than I expected, but adding licenses is easy enough and some of the servers I had just needed a one-time backup (which doesn't tie up a license).
We use Veeam across the whole organization to backup all of our data and infrastructure. It is a critical part of our business and DRP.
  • Veeam is a fast an reliable backup system
  • Veeam is easy to set up and supports all platforms we require
  • Veeam is easy to use when you need to recover lost or deleted files or servers
  • Could be faster! Data is growing faster than speed these days.
For a small/medium business that needs reliable local backup, [it] is a no-brainer. I have not tried using it in larger corporations, but it's hands down the best backup solution I have tried the last 10 years, and I have tried them all.
We have 30 Hyper-V servers backed up daily locally and copied to remote storage for safety. We expected this number of servers, and are very pleased with the performance so far.
I am a computer consultant in Chicagoland. I serve many small businesses as well as private individuals who do not want to have to reinstall all of their software and settings upon upgrading their HDDs to SSDs. I have used the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE and have had great success. I have a few clients that are close to retirement, use software that cost them a lot of money, and the version that they own will not work in Windows 10. I have been able to clone Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7 Professional with great success. I have also been able to to clone old computer HDDs to brand new computers. I have worked with Windows 10 also. This is an amazing product.
  • Cloning Windows 7 to keep valuable software.
  • Cloning Windows 10 to save hours of time.
  • Cloning all data with Bare Metal Backup to move to a new computer.
  • Cloning a 2008 Server to save hours of configuration time.
  • Make this available for Mac users.
Windows 7 and Windows 10 cloning, Server 2008
Veeam Backup and Replication is used by our IT department to backup our entire organization virtual environment. Also, Veeam is used to replicate backups to our main corporate office/datacenter. Veeam Backup & Replication allows us to recover entire virtual servers or individual files on a server.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication console is easy to use and backup configurations are simple to setup
  • Veeam Backup & Replication has great reports and email alerts on backup statuses
  • Recovering a file or a virtual server is very simple and recovers quickly.
  • There is room to improve the console to give more analytical stats.
  • It would be great to have more advance reporting to use in audits.
Veeam Backup & Replication is well suited in a virtual environment and not so good for bare metal servers.
Veeam Backup & Replication is used to backup our office 365 environment including OneDrive. Far as virtual work load 75 virtual servers are being backup. IT anticipated les work load when first installed and implemented. At the time of purchasing there was no feature to backup Office365 applications like there is today.
Alessandro Bernardini | TrustRadius Reviewer
<div>Veeam Backup &amp; Replication is used on 1 physical Windows Server 2016 Datacenter server to back up the operating system and 5 Virtual Machines running on Hyper-V and on 4 Windows 10 Pro PCs.</div><div><br></div><div>These are the downsides I encountered:</div><div>- the interface is not user firendly compared to other similar software</div><div>- in the recovery media there is no possibility to clone</div><div>- often the calculation of the remaining time is not accurate</div><div><br></div><div>These are the positives that I found:</div><div>- very fast both in the backup and restore phases</div><div>- amazing maximum compression level!</div><div>- very complete and feature-rich backup scheduling interface</div><div>- allows you to identify bottlenecks</div>
  • Amazing maximum compression level!
  • Very fast both in the backup and restore phases
  • Allows you to identify bottlenecks
  • Very complete and feature-rich backup scheduling interface
  • The interface is not user firendly compared to other similar software
  • In the recovery media there is no possibility to clone
  • Often the calculation of the remaining time is not accurate
Veeam is well suited for any type of backup / restore / replication job. The only scenario for which it is not appropriate is cloning where this feature is missing.
Veeam Backup & Replication is used in my company to protect 5 Windows, Linux and Unix based Hyper-V VMs. Before acquiring the product I didn't think at all of using Veeam for this type of work as I thought extra software was needed to manage VM backup / restore.
September 14, 2021

Veeam is Your Answer!!

Michael Dos Santos | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup & Replication is an amazing solution for backup. It's really scalable and reliable. I love the customization. The disaster recovery usability is great with full IP control, replication, and failover. I'm highly satisfied with the product so far. Wouldn't change it for anything else.
  • Organizing backups into easily navigable structures
  • Efficient handling of 'heavy' VMs
  • Ease of access to VM hypervisors
  • The UI could use an update to be more modern
There is an application for Veeam in almost any scenario...ranging from SMB to Enterprise and everywhere in between.
About 100. And yes it's more than I expected. Veeam B&amp;R was able to scale with our deployment's growth.
Johan Broersma | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam Backup & Replication across our organization in Canada. We have also been made aware that Veeam Backup & Replication is being used across other organizations within the Liebherr group.

Veeam Backup & Replication allows us to back up all our branch infrastructure and replicate these to a central location in order to archive all data in one location.
  • Fast and easy configuration
  • Decreased our backup window by approximately 30 hours
  • Easy management and administration
  • Clear monitoring of backup jobs
  • Integration with tape backup and tape rotations
  • Summarizing multiple job reports into a single report for nightly distribution
Scenarios where Veeam Backup & Replication has helped us:
  • Restoration of AD computer object after accidental deletion
  • Quick restoration of important and time-sensitive data
We currently protect all our server infrastructure with Veeam Backup & Replication. This was planned and was a requirement for our purchase.
We are using Veeam [Backup & Replication] as our primary back up software and replicating data to our cloud depository.
  • Application centric restore
  • Instant vm recovery
  • [Backup] encryption
  • I think the retention policy [can] be more [detailed]
[Veeam Backup & Replication is] well suited for 100% virtualize environments where a instant recovery is needed in case of a hardware or other type of failures[.]
We started with 0 and now we have over 10 VMs being backed up
Bobby Taylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
It can be expressed that the application is a good tool for creating backups through cloud backups. There are some shortcomings in terms of updates or minimal errors in synchronization processes. However, it is excellent for securing important information with simple to understand procedures
  • The most notable thing about the application is that it is not necessary to use our bandwidth for very long periods of time since the application performs the backups in a very fast way.
  • The backups are performed completely without any interruption. We can perform OneDrive or Exchange backups simultaneously.
  • In cases of failures in importing or exporting backups, the application does not express a reason why it stopped or an error occurred.
  • Also, for the deletion of accounts in Veeam Backup there is a very extensive and complicated process to delete licenses and data.
  • It should have a better startup wizard to perform backups and connect to Office 365.
In general terms, the application is fully recommended since it has a remarkable reliability for the safekeeping of all important information for an organization. It is a much simpler alternative that will save time and internet expenses when importing data to the cloud.
Veeam Backup's customer service is incredible, even though we have not bothered them at any time they are always ready to solve any inconvenience for us or for any of our customers, they always respond in no more than 24 hours.
The overall usability is impressive, we keep everything properly configured and out of trouble, the control panel has given us just the right tools to be able to manage all types of files in a safe and reliable way.
Nathan Anstice | TrustRadius Reviewer
Veeam Backup and Replication backs up all servers in the charity. This allows us to recover from instances of hardware failure (our studio has a lot of power outages due to regular building work) and keeps our data secure.
  • Simple to configure
  • Reliable
  • Clear error reports when something does go wrong
  • Ability to add automatic actions when something fails
  • Quickly configure duplicate job for another target
  • Bulk edit jobs
Small to large enterprise backup solutions. All use cases accounted for.
3. As expected, rarely changes.
It's being used as a backup solution across workstations, it solves the issue of not worrying about hardware failure or software threats.
  • Background Backup without Harming Performance
  • Ease of Choosing Storage Medium for Backup
  • Able to Pull Specific Files from Prior Backups Easily
  • More Details on Which Steps of Backup Process Currently Running
  • Easier Integration to Cloud Storage Providers
  • Better Compression of Backup to Save Space
Great for anyone or business that needs a reliable and easy-to-use backup solution.
It's relatively easy to set up for anyone that has the most basic computer knowledge.
We have 5 physical workloads that are being protected. It was more, we only intended to test it out but am slowly growing and implementing it to more devices.
Its been used for organization wide backup solution
  • Backup is streamlined
  • interface is great
  • recovery is easy
  • Local backup
Veeam is very good and designed for cloud backup, which is future.
For people who will do thing old school way, it can be tricky
We only have one physical backup at the moment, but looking into migrate to cloud soon
Been using Veeam to backup my current VM Labs and customers remotely. We are a one-person shop with few remote customers. We use Veeam to keep offsite backups.
  • Free version is great for small environments.
  • Quick Setup
  • Reporting capabilities
  • Less spam on upgrades.
Full version well suited for a large org while the community edition is great for a small business, lab environment, or education.
9 sits within the limit of the Community Edition. Thank You.
Mateus Wolff | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Veeam Backup &amp; Replication and all virtualization environments to get a good level of data protection.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication is not so good to copy files between servers. It could be better sometimes.
  • The file copy feature could be a little bit better.
The Veeam Backup & Replication is the best solution to get data protection on virtualization environments.
I protect all my virtual machines with Veeam Backup & Replication. It is almost 50 virtual machines.
April 01, 2021

Reliability and Speed

I was looking for software that would give me backup security in case of need. Veeam Backup & Replication is definitely the right solution for me. Ease of configuration, speed, reliability, and security are the main features that led me to choose it as a solution for my company. The licneza Community gives everyone the opportunity to be safe.
  • Backup VM
  • Fast file restore
  • Continuous Replication VM
Veeam Backup & Replication is certainly suitable for making backups of virtual and physical machines even on different platforms and different media. Useful is the possibility to make backups of the files inside the NAS. The cloud part lacks a Veeam private cloud but it is necessary to rely on external providers. Continuous VM replication functionality in a disaster recovery site is missing.
There [are] currently 8 Virtual Machine backup windows, I adopted Veeam because of the number of virtual [machines] I had to back up. The previous backup solution had limitations on the performance and management of the backup media, especially in the optimization of the used space. Compression is noticeable.
We use Veeam to backup our physical storage/website servers and planning to expand it also to VMs. Being able to create bootable media for the restore process is a big plus in case of hardware failure and using Veeam Backup & Replication will help also to restore physical servers into VMs. The Managementment application allows it with a very easy-to-use interface to manage backup jobs and monitor their progress and failures. In addition to the "on-demand" monitoring, we also integrated the Veeam job results into our check_mk based monitoring to have instant notifications in case a backup job didn't complete successfully. With the ongoing development of Veeam, they also rolled out a lot of interesting features with the latest V11 to backup databases (Oracle / MS SQL).
  • Easy to use front end to manage Backup jobs efficiently and review problems during job execution
  • Restore capabilities of physical servers to VMs or other physical machines with ease (including bootable media)
  • Snapshot support and restoring them with just a couple of mouse clicks
  • More API support to connect directly to external monitoring services/applications
  • Support more DBMS natively
  • More Deployment options of the server software to prepare setups that are brought to the customer
We like the restore options from physical servers to VM's which saves a lot of time to replace legacy hardware with future-proof VMs. Driver and legacy boot issues are easily resolved with the tools Veeam provides.

Not so good is the support of non-natively supported DBMS like MariaDB (MySQL natively supported). If more DBMS would be supported it would make it easier for customers with not so mainstream databases.
Have 3 physical servers in our main office and are planning to replace them with VMs. It will remove the need of supporting and maintaining multiple physical servers in favor of a clustered VM host. This will reduce also the number of care packs and space required to place the server in the rack and air condition to cool the servers.
It is being used across our organization [and] is replacing our current tape based backup exec and disk based Quest vRanger VM backup system.

We are now able to use a single application to backup both our physical, virtual, and file shares across our organization. Before this we need[ed] two applications to do this.
  • Capacity tiering
  • Ease of use
  • Instant VM restore
  • Explanation of cloud tiering
If your environment is mostly virtual, it's a snap to use. Physical servers are just as easy. Veeam also integrates well with vendors of NAS filers.
All of our virtual &amp; physical workloads are now protected by Veeam. The amount is as expected when we acquired the product.
Veeam Backup and Replication is used as our primary backup solution. It gives us reliable backups whether incremental or full backups across a wide variety of platforms.—I.E. Physical desktop or servers as well as virtual Hyper-V and VMware stations alike.
  • Easy backups of multiple systems.
  • Quick restores from physical to virtual if need be.
  • Able to fire up a server/workstation from a backup.
  • In depth online training
Veeam Backup and Replication works great for any small to large facility where reliable backups are needed. If you have a mom and pop shop with one or two backups needed, then Veeam may be overkill.
<div>Approximately 40-50. <br></div><div>It is more than what we first anticipated, however the amount of servers onsite is continually growing.<br></div>
September 07, 2021

Great solution for backups

We use Veeam B&R for the whole organization to make replicas of the production servers. These replicas are stored on a diferent physical server, so we can have our production services running within minutes in case we lose our main physical server.
  • Replication on a separate physical host to have a disaster recovery plan always ready
  • Retention policy with rotational backups
  • We didn't find any problems with our installation. The process is mostly straightforward.
Every scenario where you have physical or virtual workloads is a scenario where Veeam B&R is suited for a backup or replication plan. If your infrastructure doesn't need more than 10 workloads, you even have the option to install the community edition at zero cost.
Currently, two virtual servers are replicated in a separate physical host, different from the production one. This serves as a disaster recovery in case we lose our main physical server and our production services.
We use Veeam Backup and Replication across our organization to facilitate backup and recovery of our Hyper-V workloads. We currently write our backups to a local NAS and are planning to implement moving backups offsite to cloud storage. We've used the community edition for quite a few years for manual backups and have recently purchased a license allowing us to schedule backups automatically and access all of the other product features.
  • Reliable and consistently recoverable VM Backups.
  • Excellent product support. Very responsive.
  • Good online documentation.
  • This is a complex product and there is a learning curve.
  • Perhaps make it more clear how to recover a Hyper-V VM backup to a different Hyper-V host.
  • More documentation and video examples of common use cases.
Veeam Backup and Replication is well suited for our organization, as we have quite a bit of technical depth. It might be less appropriate for a small business with little or no IT support.
We have Veeam Backup and Replication installed on 4 Hyper-V hosts and back up approximately 10 VMs.
I've been using VeeamBackup & Replication for two/three years now and I think it's one of the best and most complete backup solutions on the market.

Right now I'm replicating two virtual machines in a separate host as a disaster recovery solution. Using the Community Edition I have a complete backup suite at no cost, which is really amazing.

Flexibility and large compatibility with many technologies make it a perfect solution for any company.
  • Integration into the virtualized local environment
  • Backup virtualized machines
  • Disaster recovery planning
  • Migration of backup history when changing backup repository
I can't think of a scenario where VeeamBackup & Replication is not well suited
Two virtual workloads, as expected
We use Veeam Backup & Replication internally for ourselves, as well as for various customers. Our daily backup of the virtual machines is implemented by Veeam Backup & Replication and has been working since day 1. Both backup and restore are straightforward and simple. Working seamlessly with the Veeam Backup Agent for Windows is also a great way to back up client PCs.
  • Fantastic, fast, and competent support
  • Easy backup and restore
  • Free for small businesses
  • Direct backup to tape (LTO)
Veeam Backup & Replication is easy to use in any environment and meets all previous requirements. From simple data servers to Exchange and SQL servers, everything can be backed up easily and straightforwardly. Integration into existing structures is also easy. Also very suitable for small businesses and individuals. Backups can be encrypted, which offers additional security.
Veeam Backup & Replication currently backs up 3 host systems and 18 virtual machines daily. The backups run quickly and efficiently. We also look after several customer systems with many different server systems. Linux servers can also be easily backed up with Veeam Backup and Replication. In the future, we will secure more and more systems with this software.

Veeam Backup & Replication Scorecard Summary

Data Center Backup (14)
Universal recovery (142)
Live recovery (151)
Recovery verification (154)
Business application protection (140)
Multiple backup destinations (165)
Incremental backup identification (171)
Backup to the cloud (106)
Deduplication and file compression (159)
Snapshots (148)
Flexible deployment (137)
Management dashboard (23)
Platform support (141)
Retention options (143)
Encryption (122)

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam’s® premier product, Veeam Backup & Replication™, delivers trusted availability for all of your cloud, virtual, Kubernetes and physical workloads. Through a simple-by-design management console, you quickly achieve fast, flexible, reliable Backup, archival, recovery and replication.

Backup capabilities
  • Continuous Data Protection
  • Fast, reliable application-aware, image-based backups
  • Unlimited capacity and cost savings for long-term data retention on object storage with new Veeam Cloud Tier
  • Enterprise application support for Veeam Plug-ins for SAP HANA and Oracle RMAN
Replication capabilities
  • Instant recovery for NAS, Microsoft SQL and Oracle
  • Recover individual files easily with Instant VM and File-level Recovery
  • Easy portability and recovery to AWS, Azure and Azure Stack with NEW Veeam Cloud Mobility

Recovery capabilities
  • Recover individual files easily with Instant VM and File-level Recovery
  • Fast, item-level and application recovery for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, and SQL Server and Oracle

Veeam Backup & Replication Features

• Supported: Platform support
  • Supported: Retention options
  • Supported: Encryption

Veeam Backup & Replication Screenshots

With Veeam Backup Community Edition, you can migrate a live VMware VM to any host or data store—even if you don't use clusters or shared storage.Reduce storage needs by eliminating redundant VM data with Veeam data deduplication.To enable WAN acceleration, you need to deploy a pair of WAN accelerators in your backup infrastructureYou can quickly locate SharePoint items and restore them to the original or new SharePoint site, send them by e-mail or save to the specified locationYou can restore virtual and physical machines from Veeam backups directly to Microsoft Azure.You can install a standalone console on your workstation and manage the backup server remotely over the network.You can restore Microsoft SharePoint items in a couple of minutes.You can configure a "global" media pool that can use several tape libraries or standalone drives.Veeam Backup & Replication does not back up "dirty blocks" on VM guest OS.You can even restore the database to a specific transaction.

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Join Veeam SE for an in-depth technical deep dive into the architecture and engineering of Veeam Backup & Replication. Learn how to protect your virtual workloads with Veeam Availability Suite by diving into the deployment and technical details of components that allow Veeam Backup & Replication to meet recovery service level objectives of less than 15 minutes for ALL applications and data. Find answers to burning questions around how it works.

Veeam Backup & Replication Downloadables