Reviews (1-1 of 1)
March 29, 2017
Score 8 out of 10
We use VMWare Identity manager (Workspace One) to provide remote access to university applications and data. We replaced several older systems with this product and consolidated several access methods (that used to vary depending on who you were and what you were doing) into one single place to go for access. We replaced a Citrix farm form application delivery, and various VPN/Remote Desktop and WebDAV based solutions for remote access to data.
- It provides an "SSO" type experience for access to applications and data. Users sign in to one "portal" and then have access to whatever university systems they need to do their job.
- It greatly simplifies securing these types of access. Firewall rulesets can be made much simpler and easier to manage, as well.
- There is not a ton of look/feel customization for VMWare Identity manager. We have had some complaints about the icons for the delivered applications, and it's very difficult to set up custom icons.
- Integrating Identity Manager with our enterprise authentication solution, which is based on AD FS was not immediately intuitive or easy to do. It was possible, but it took some work.
- Integrating Identity Manager with VMWare's own TrueSSO product (to allow certificate based authentication to work with MFA) was not intuitive and took some support calls.
Read this authenticated review
VMWare Identity Manager is a fantastic solution if you're looking for a "single point of access" type experience for delivering applications and data to your users. There are some features it lacks compared to some competitors, particularly when it comes to integration with other products and customization of look/feel, but we have been very successful using it to provide an easier user experience than our old systems were able to deliver.
Workspace ONE Access (formerly VMware Identity Manager) Scorecard Summary
About Workspace ONE Access (formerly VMware Identity Manager)
Workspace ONE Access, (formerly VMware Identity Manager), provides multi-factor authentication, conditional access and single sign-on to SaaS, web and native mobile apps.
Workspace ONE Access (formerly VMware Identity Manager) Technical Details