VMware Workstation Reviews

Graham Murison | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Virtually head and shoulders above the rest

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

VMware Workstation is used in IT operations for running lab environments, testing software solutions/updates. It also allows us to run multiple operating systems on one virtual host. We also have some other departments that required Android hardware in order to run ONE android application. Instead, what we did was deployed VMware Workstation for them and now they run Android through this virtualized platform. There are also some really old applications we have that are required more maintenance for one or two people. Instead, of trying to run it on old hardware we virtualized it and it runs as a Windows XP/2000 virtual machine on a Workstation host.
Read Graham Murison's full review
Tyler Twitchell | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 10, 2020

VMware Workstation - Running many VM's on one server

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

VMware Workstation is used to run VM's that can be discarded and recreated with little effort. These VM's run on our location desktop or laptop with the intended purpose to obfuscate the work that goes on within our organization and that of our production use. These virtual machines are running and supported within VMware to act as a barrier between production access and regular access to our corporate environments allowing up to have a separation of duties within the working environment.
Read Tyler Twitchell's full review
October 24, 2019

VMware Workstation is a great compliment to your VMware environment.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

VMware Workstation is being used by a few departments to do a variety of things. It is being used by some to access VMs on our host clusters, it is being used by others to create and run local sandbox VMs, and we have used it to copy deprecated VMs to an end-users desktop giving them the opportunity to start that VM and do data recovery on into the future. Workstation provides a good alternative to a remote desktop for managing your servers if they are all virtual. It also provides a great way to do testing and one-off application usage on your desktop in a sandbox.
Stefan Trbojevic | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2019

There is no Image that VMware Workstation cannot handle.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

VMware Workstation has been used as our main virtual lab environment tool, this is where we do all our testings before publishing any new updates, as well as to troubleshoot and get more familiar with new features our product has to offer. For instance, I have multiple images set where I can quickly switch between them and spot any new changes that have been developed.
Read Stefan Trbojevic's full review
February 05, 2019

Workstation: great for home use and development

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

For at home development of virtual machines, it is hard to find a better solution. VMware Workstation is primarily used as personal Linux and web development solutions. It is a super simple/flexible product that allows individual users very robust options. We use it for developing exploit capable boxes and ranges allowing staff to work from home while remaining productive without having to have a cloud solution from home. Currently, roughly 70% of our organization is using VMware workstation in some form or another, whether it's on BYOD, or assigned org devices.
valentine leamy | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2018

Throwing up Virtual Machines like a magic trick

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

VMware Workstation automatically chooses adequately the settings needed in order to perform best, given you have "automatically" set in the relevant settings. Workstation Pro is also very efficient with the usage of your resources. The software is really full-featured for the price; it's money well spent. You can not get it wrong with this one. If you read the documentation, you can even get more benefits from the advanced usage of the tool. Allows for security research without causing harm to real machines, and it's easy to spin up to new or saved VM then reimage a machine.
Read valentine leamy's full review
Michael Timms | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 16, 2018

Virtual machines made easy!

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Oh where to begin. The uses for VMware Workstation are almost endless. First and foremost in my case, I use it to build Windows 7 and 10 images, and then capture them using FOG. Building images this way is so much cleaner and faster because they are universal, meaning they are not dependent on any hardware type. I love that I can make snapshots along the way, and if I run into any issues I can restore the snapshot, and keep on building.
Read Michael Timms's full review
Bert Scalzo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 01, 2017

VMware Workstation is a truly must have tool for modern IT professionals

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use VMware Workstation to develop, test and demo our software which works with a dozen different databases - so we need virtual machines for numerous setups that we do not want to have running on our computers at all times. Plus some of those databases do not run on Windows so the ability to have a Linux server running as a VM also is extremely useful. In short, we could not do our jobs as easily without VMware Workstation.
Read Bert Scalzo's full review
Evan Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 18, 2017

VMware is where it's at!

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I am currently the sole user of VMware Workstation to manage various virtual machines that serve as our Windows Imaging build and test environment. This solves the issue we had with hardware-based image building where the various drivers for the hardware could cause issues with sys prepping and capturing images for our computers.
Read Evan Miller's full review
Ramandeep Singh | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 16, 2016

VMWare - A must have virtualization tool.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use VMWare product for our cloud lab, that provides virtual labs to students in university. I guess our department is using VMware ESXi server from last 2-3 years or more than that. I personally like it very much as I manage the cloud lab being a Graduate Assistant. So I handle queries from students, create virtual lab for students, and troubleshoot problems related to VMware.
Read Ramandeep Singh's full review
Ben Liebowitz | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 21, 2017

My Experience with VMware Workstation

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The use of VMware Workstation is restricted as we own a limited number of licenses. However, since I work on the team that supports our virtualization initiatives, I am one of those people.
VMware Workstation allows me to test software, configuration changes, etc., all on virtual machines on my PC rather than affecting our production VMware environments. I'm able to isolate VMs off the network if necessary, allow VMs access to the network via NAT (Network Address Translation), and also using bridged networking, giving the VMs direct access to our network.
Read Ben Liebowitz's full review
February 08, 2018

A Perfect VM Manager

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

From my personal experience, VMware Workstation is a wonderful software. I can use different development environments using a single machine (with very accelerated performances). Thanks to VMWare I can develop different solutions and perform tests and debugging easily without any risk and with an immediate rollback speed.

VMware Workstation Scorecard Summary

Virtual machine automated provisioning (10)
Management console (13)
Live virtual machine backup (11)
Live virtual machine migration (11)
Hypervisor-level security (12)

About VMware Workstation

VMware Workstation is virtualization software which allows running multiple x86-based operating systems on one PC.