Reviews (1-15 of 15)
- Allow business users to modify and update report content without the need for engaging a software developer.
- Create user-friendly, content-rich reports that help to support the dynamic data we wanted to present to the client.
- We initially purchased Windward to help build reports related to disclosures to our clients. Windward was the perfect solution for solving this issue.
- Some functions in Word related to graphics do not always translate when producing the Windward report. We have overcome these by tweaking the design of the report at times. This issue is more common on reports that have many graphics and complex layouts.
- Some reports rendering to PDF to not render like the original report.
- We have found it is important to stay current with upgrades. Sometimes a report would have to be reworked when moving up 3 o 4 version of the software.
- Easily integrates MS Word templates with database tables or views.
- Generates high-quality output at great speeds.
- Produces output in several formats for a variety of uses.
- We had difficulty loading the jar file for the Java engine in our Oracle database. Calling reports using the command line worked fine.
- Design documents and reports with MS Office (WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT). This can be done by the business and not only be the IT. Template maintenance, which is usually mostly on content, can be done solely by business users.
- Insert tags and business logic within documents to show/hide paragraphs depending on data or user input.
- Integrates easily with 3rd party applications and it can also be used as the document and report generation engine of your software solution.
- It can pull data from multiple sources (SQL, XML, OData, etc).
- Better and more updated documentation. There is a wealth of functionality and the knowledge base does not reveal this much. You must be very specific in what you are looking for.
- Web service consumption besides OData to pull data from other systems directly into the template would have taken Windward to another level.
- User support in European timezones. :-)
- If you have an existing Word or Excel document that you need to populate with data, then Windward is the right product for this functionality. It will reliably recreate this document in the same format (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx) or in PDF (there are other formats as well but this is what we use primarily).
- The use of office documents as report templates allow us to have non-technical people submit reports to us and then we have a report writer who can tag the document for use in Windward. All of this is done without any specific programming knowledge other than AutoTag which is pretty easy to use. This allows us to free up valuable programming resources for other tasks.
- The flexibility of Windward Reports allows us to generate data sources that are formatted around our business logic knowing that we don't have to worry about some rigid data specifications or requirements from our reporting tool. However, our data is structured so we're able to pull it into AutoTag and get exactly what we need for our reporting requirements.
- I know we have wanted some more robust features in the powerpoint presentations, but to be honest we haven't looked at the update in the last two versions. So, a criticism of this wouldn't be fair because I'm not up to date on their more current PPT offerings.
- One of the issues we've had in the past is getting the licensing correct. The licensing structure is a bit strict and can be a little unwieldy at times. Once it's set up we don't ever have issues, but when upgrading or migrating servers we've had issues in the past, and if you have licensing issue it can shut down reporting on your server until it is resolved. I will say that their support team is responsive and has always helped us to work through our issues. If I were recommending Windward to someone I would mention our problems with licensing so they would pay specific when setting up their configuration, but it wouldn't keep me from recommending their services.
- Windward's Report Designer provides instant ease-of-use and a sense of familiarity by being integrated into Microsoft Word.
- The overall application is fairly user-friendly and intuitive by itself, but Windward Studios also offers a full array of user guides, training sessions, videos, step-by-step tutorials, and other resources that allow users to truly learn and understand the program in order to utilize its full capabilities.
- Windward Studios has truly unparalleled support. Every question or support request I've had has been responded to in a timely manner, and immediately addressed. Regardless of the complexity of the problem, they've been able to find a solution to generate the document output that I needed.
- It would be greatly helpful if I were able to run two (or more) ForEach tags simultaneously.
- The POD feature is great for applying identical template sections across multiple documents, but there should be a simpler/easier way to update it globally across every template.
- The error messages could be more descriptive -- I sometimes get an error when generating the output and don't know exactly what's causing the problem.
Less appropriate: The number of reports generated by day is limited to 500 reports per day.
- Easy integration: there is no steep learning curve to get started with WindWard.
- Template buiding is easy because of the Word integration.
- More detailed documentation that addresses some very specific problems.
- Fast and direct report engine, using friendly templates through an add-in for Microsoft Word.
- Adequate support and documentation to ensure a quick integration
- Your template designers dont need to learn Java at all. They can work through Microsoft Office
- The learning curve can be a nuisance, considering that currently Jaspers is the antonomic engine for Java
- There is a price (not so expensive) so yeah thats always a cons.
- Many customers currently use Jaspers, so migration can become a point to consider
- Flexibility. The ability to modify the reporting engine to what you are exactly looking for and what you expect back.
- Speed. Extremely quick page generation.
- Overall it leave a very small footprint and does not burden too much on our system.
- I found the API documentation to be rather lacking and descriptive.
- Initial setup can be a little more complication due to the above confusing documentation.
- Native Office output -- not nested tables and/or horrible RTF like other tools generate.
- Ease of use -- once the data sources are set up, creating tables is as simple as drag and drop (okay, maybe not exactly that simple, but you can certainly create a table of data using drag and drop, then format it and manipulate it as needed).
- Responsive developers and support -- when I've had questions, they've been addressed VERY quickly and professionally.
- Limited drag and drop -- while you can easily create tables with drag and drop, you can't drag and drop individual fields, which really isn't intuitive
- AutoTag can easily be connected to virtually any data source. The wizard walks you through all the needed steps. This is very helpful in getting reports from multiple sources or departments.
- WindWard has put together a Wiki based user guide and has the best tech support I have ever worked with. For the rare occasions that we get stuck trying to convert a report the help is plentiful.
- AutoTag is built within the Office suite and is therefore able to leverage all the familiar features. This is very useful when you need to make reports useful and appealing.
- It is hard to pick out the tags if they are mixed in with a block of text.
- Using report variables in select statements causes the selection list of available fields to not show anything.
- The color themes do not match the office selection and it feels very disconnected.
- Using Microsoft Office capabilities to format templates.
- Integrating SQL queries into a template.
- Tagging specific datapoints to display from a SQL query.
- Conditional formatting.
- Sometimes using foreach tags can be confusing.
- Lets you easily pull in data points
- Allows you to validate a query before saving it to make sure that it works correctly
- Easy export to most common formats so you can test out your template with real-world data
- When dealing with large queries, the system tends to slow down.
- Nested for each queries have issues validating
- Allows for customization of existing templates
- Connections to several types of data sources
- Very intuitive in conjunction with the tutorials
- Allow users to modify the Excel file while in the AutoTag editor. I find myself taking screen shots and referring to them.
- The set up of the product is fairly easy as long as you have the right version and license key. It's also fairly easy to transfer licenses between users.
- Once you have the main queries down, the tagging of the template is fairly easy and you can reuse templates instead of starting from scratch each time.
- If you are having issues with a template or a tag type- the help documentation provided is helpful to provide examples. The webinars are also a good stepping stone to get knowledge quickly.
- Sometimes the formatting within the Microsoft Word documents can be tricky. That's where most of the time comes from is making sure the tags don't mess up the formatting of the actual template itself.
- Error messages can be vague. For example if something is wrong with the query or a tag, it can be difficult to find the issue within the query or identify the offending tag easily. This means the whole template won't work because of one minor issue.
Windward Studios Scorecard Summary
About Windward Studios
Windward Studios aims to enable users to produce quick data-powered documents that are visually rich and error-free.
The vendor promises the following capabilities and differentiators:
Visually Outstanding Designs
Users can create designs and attractive layouts. The only boundary is your creativity.
Smart Document Logic
With a conditional logic feature, you can personalize the content of your document to suit a wide range of audience. Enter the new age of Smart Documents.
Easy Template Creation
The vendor says their platform is fast and user friendly: in under an hour, any ordinary business professional can have their templates completed.
Do it Faster for Less
You do not have to spend a lot on developing templates and documents even if you are trying to get them done fast. The vendor says their software can simplify the process of creating tailor-made templates and documents which will let you significantly save time and money. There is nothing stopping your business idea now with the saved budget.
Windward Studios Screenshots
Windward Studios Video
Windward Studios Downloadables
Windward Studios Competitors
|Pay per document||$209||per month|
|Pay per server||$496||per month|
Windward Studios Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||20%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||40%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||40%|
Windward Studios Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Windward Studios Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac, Anything that has Java|