Critical Mention Review
July 18, 2014
Critical Mention Review
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Critical Mention
Critical Mention was a tool that I had used at my previous job where I coordinated a lot of media spots for TV. Most times the TV stations would run the segment or various versions of the segment during the morning, afternoon and evening news programming. Critical Mention allowed my team and I to capture every piece of footage that was not posted to the internet and then allowed us to purchase all of the segments for our client to keep on file. This tool was available for my entire company to use, but my team of about 4-5 people used it the most.
- Critical Mention allowed me to keep track of all of the pickup around specific stories that were being pitched for my client by scanning not only TV stations, but radio spots too.
- Critical Mention allowed my team to edit the clip down to show the specific segment, down to the second, of when the client was mentioned.
- Critical Mention offered a transcript along with the clip as a starting point, since most times it did need to be edited.
- Within the three years of using Critical Mention, the platform changed multiple times which was hard to keep up with as the changes were drastically different and not always user-friendly.
- The transcript that Critical Mention offers with the clip is only a starting point as it has a lot of mistakes within in.
- There was often a big delay from when the clip aired on TV to when it was available on Critical Mention.
- Critical Mention needs to provide better training sessions for individuals as well as companies. The platform had changed multiple times and became difficult to navigate.
- At the time, Critical Mention was crucial to supporting my client project and helped produce positive outcomes.
I gave this a 5 only because I do not make the decisions to renew. When I used this at my previous company, I also recommended to the decision maker to renew this tool as it was a crucial piece to the overall client objective.
Critical Mention is extremely valuable for capturing media pitches to news stations. Often times, these stations do not put most of their stories online; making them inaccessible to the client. Also, as most clients expect an end report that compiles all media hits at the completion of a project, Critical Mention is a great tool that captures everything and allows you to save it all in one place.