One of the strongest supports in our House
Overall Satisfaction with Abila MIP Fund Accounting
- Abila manages the cost accounting data management and reporting functions exceptionally well. The data is easily translated into our government reporting format, allowing for quarterly reporting efficiencies.
- We invested in Abila because it also had good functionality for medicaid billing and accounting requirements.
- It integrates with Single Audit Accounting requirements.
- Our IT staff has been able to develop links to the MIP data to maintain current actuals to budget information.
- Service and support staff has always been on target and effective in managing any problems.
- The product was hard to learn and initially was not well known so new staff need a longer learning curve. MIP is fairly well used in our industry especialy with small to midsize not for profits and therefore we have been able to hire new staff without have the challenges during early use. A great improvement.
- We do not use the budgeting module because when we tried to it was too complicated. My staff has not tried since the initial period because it was easy to load the budget but because of our challenges with our state's budgeting requirements, changes to the budget makes it more of a hassle to change. We have been discussing trying to use the budgeting feature again and will investigate if the product has improved since we last tried.
- We have not tried the cloud product because the present product meets our needs. There may be features that make some of the features I have noted easier to manage.
- We have not transitioned to MIP Advance. Our accountant thought that our accounting needs were too simplistic to justify the move.
- The initial investment and annual renewal has had a very positive impact on our overal business objectives. We are aware of the other modules and are presently facing a business transformation that may require additional features.
- Overall the integration of the data for the reporting and analysis requirements of our business has been highly effective. We believe that this was one of the best investments we have made in business software.
Initially no, however as our business grew we have really appreciated this benefit. It has helped us keep costs down by making our management of the fund income and expenses from multiple sources more efficient and easily managed by one person.
Reconciliations have been very easy to maintain and internal audit has also been very easily completed.
We check out the top three products. MIP won because it was geared to Not for Profits and at the time few other products recognized the differences that MIP captured in their products. We were impressed by the fund raising features, however due to the nature of our government funding this feature was required, until recently.
Interesting enough the other two products were subsequently bought by Abila.
I must add that the fact that MIP contracted with local registered agents to help their customers to train employees on the product, integrate and manage the implementation of the product to the unique need of the company was a huge plus and an overall savings.
MIP Fund Accounting Feature Ratings
Using Abila MIP Fund Accounting
Finance (AR, AP, Budgeting, Reporting (Internal, State Reports, Funder (Grants reporting)
We have had to create and manage individual budgets for the people we support. This system provided an efficient and effective way of managing a very labor intensive task.
Single Audit requirements were easily managed by internal staff and contracted accounting firm. Remote Access allowed for users to get work completed, reducing cost of labor that onsight visits often incur.
We had a bookkeeper who was using Quickbooks when we converted to MIP. We used trained and certified MIP techs to train, install and implement the product into our company. We have had a few transitions of staff but the more MIP became known, it was easier to find staff that had some experience with the product or a similar product that allowed for generalized translation to MIP.
We have trained non college level, clerical staff to use MIP. Data entry was a simple skill to train. Reconciliation feature did require experience in accounting or business training of some type. Reporting function was easy to train with staff that had some computer experience in Excel, Quickbooks or Peachtree. Custom reports did require a little more training and staff demonstrated a reduction in productivity if they did not have to create reports on a regular basis. Some time was lost in re-learning.
- Accounts Receivable (Managing the Invoicing and Cash Receivables)
- Accounts Payable (Managing the Invoicing, Accrual Accounting, Aging)
- General Ledger and Reconciliation
- Budget Management and Reporting to Funding Source
- Not sure if this is innovative but one of our Directors who was quite proficient in Excel was able to develop a system (formulas in Excel) that pulled the data from our Payroll data base and upload it into our MIP general ledger. A two hour task took 5 minutes with the bridge program he developed. It has been hard to maintain because of recent reorganization that has resulted in position shifts and he was the only person that could do this level of Excel programming. He no longer is with the company.
- We are beginning Fund Raising and will be exploring the module that integrates with this.
- The Budgeting Module is also on our radar.
Evaluating Abila MIP Fund Accounting and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
- Third-party Reviews
Abila MIP Fund Accounting Implementation
- Professional services company
- The coding (charting) of the departments. It caused some difficulty in accurate reporting. We learned to keep it simple.
- The learning curve was a little long.
- The Budgeting Module was very challenging and was ultimately abandoned. Our implementation person was more focused on the accounting implementation and was not concerned about the budgeting feature.
Abila MIP Fund Accounting Support
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
Immediate help available
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Need to explain problems multiple times
Using Abila MIP Fund Accounting
Like to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using