The best and safest investment of this kind of software is only with ArcGIShttps://www.trustradius.com/geographic-informationArcGISUnspecified8.8901012018-08-31T18:47:06.816Z
August 31, 2018
The best and safest investment of this kind of software is only with ArcGIS
Score 9 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with ArcGIS
We are a department of the University that works with more than 300 offices throughout the national territory, and each of them handles a large amount of information that should be centralized in the capital. Our organization works with the metadata generated by these offices. In general, we analyze vector and raster data with geoprocessing tools to create a map composition with a good design that includes an optimal location of the graphic elements, and we publish that cartography online.
- It has the biggest user community to find answers. It provides tutorials with sample data for you to get hands-on experience. Also has a very elaborate documentation on how to use the tools, with examples included, which helps a better understanding, both in the desktop and in the development. It would otherwise be very difficult for someone from your organization who doesn't learn quickly.
- It has a large number of supported formats. It's got solid and extensive geoprocessing tools, from the most complex to the most basic: the overlays, the algebra map, the approximation surface, the analysis of networks, among others.
- Constantly updated and improved by the ESRI team.
- This tool grows with your organization.
- Although ESRI has the most popular tools on the market, prices are often a limitation, and many users opt for "software with an eyepatch." Though, it is worth mentioning that because they're a large company, they keep pace with technology trends.
- Despite its cost, it is preferable to make an investment. ESRI’ѕ comprehensive GIS solutions offer an easier ѕоlutіоn scenario for complex environments (including mobile, web and desktop workflowѕ).
- ArcGIS forces you to connect to a license to perform certain geoprocessing operations. Therefore, although it has a good geoprocessing framework, solid and broad, its license level determines which tools can be used in ArcGIS.
- The installation of ArcGIS is a more extensive process in time, together with the fact that you will also need to install different extensions and make the software authorization from ArcGIS Administrator.
- Raster data management is surpassed by ArcGIS. Although the market offers battle, there is always something that ArcGIS makes it easier; if not for added values, due to the difficulty of compatibility of plugins with respect to recent versions.
- The world of GIS plugins is currently wide. Although free software is very broad in this, where there are plugins for almost everything, the difficult thing is what ArcGIS Marektplace makes easy, because there are solutions for everything with a specialization approach easier to find. Of course, you have to pay.
- In ArcGIS, we talk about an add-in instead of a plugin. It is a customization, such as a collection of tools in the toolbar, that connects to an ArcGIS for Desktop application to provide supplementary functionality to perform certain tasks. These add-ons are created using .NET, Java or Python. There are paid (and free) solutions for almost any spatial problem you can imagine.
- ArcGIS has a very powerful default symbology (transport, roots, soils, climate, etc.), it is ideal for point, line and polygon styles. In short, the existing symbology in ArcMap is useful and abundant.
- More orderly work environment. Through its interface, ArcMap includes several map views as Data Frame in the Table of Contents, the composition of map or layout, models or ModelBuilder. In ArcGIS Pro all these elements have been ordered through tabs in the project, in this way, we can quickly navigate through the different Frame that make up a layout without having to activate or deactivate one or the other, etc ... In addition, ArcGIS Pro allows us to create several layouts in the same project and insert 3D scenes.
- It has an advanced labeling that allows to establish the location of the label and the dependence of the scale. Curved and parallel labeling is easy in ArcGIS. It's smart. The drawing toolbar is how annotation groups are controlled in ArcGIS. It is not intuitive. But with a little practice you can control which annotation the label groups belong to.
ArcGIS is supported by ESRI with a private company with more than 40 years in the market, with the distinguishment of popularizing the spatial vision from a marketing perspective and non-specialized public; QGIS is the most provisional initiative within the GIS approach, and has managed to take advantage of all the potentialities of the OpenSource model, orchestrating a community that leads the way not only on a voluntary basis but also at a high professional level.
ArcGIS has the best geoprocessing tools on the market, and the Geostatistics tools also are incomparable; they are the best of their kind. They are not only functional, but educational. The Model Builder is the most intuitive, robust and pragmatic way to automate geoprocessing jobs, as it allows you to chain sets of tools to automate processes, and it gives you the possibility to export your model and share it with others, or export it as a Python script and customize it. The assignment of web pages is easy in ArcGIS, the data is sent to the web through ArcGIS Online, which is where the online maps for ESRI are located. Story Maps are also very interesting, you can take them to tell a story through maps. All these tools have been applied in our work very efficiently and quickly.
Evaluating ArcGIS and Competitors
Yes - ArcGIS, gvSIG and QGIS. All three have their advantages and disadvantages, there is no answer, it depends on what we use it for. ArcGIS stands out in its geoprocessing tools, and has always been the perfect tool to perform topology or work with networks, but many of the tasks that this first can do with QGIS as with gvSIG; the latest functions incorporated in terms of topology and also in terms of networks. Interoperability (connections to WFS services, WMS, etc.), for example, or database connections, which are conveniently made from gvSIG or QGIS are quite tedious in ArcGIS.
- Product Reputation
- Vendor Reputation
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
- Third-party Reviews
I allow professional software to do the hard work. The two main desktop applications for GIS professionals are ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, both forming part of ArcGIS for Desktop. Each application has unique functions that fit your needs. Create everything from simple web maps to complex analytical models.