Overall Satisfaction with Articulate Storyline
My learning platform team uses Storyline to edit and publish eCourse modules that are created for us by external vendors. Our HR department also uses it to create training modules for internal employees.
- It is a versatile tool that can create a wide variety of eLearning experiences.
- It interfaces well with SCORM Cloud, which is what we use for dispatching eCourses to clients.
- It is fairly inexpensive for a single user license.
- The way it handles variables is confusing and not intuitive. This could be streamlined.
- Attaching documents to an eCourse resources section presents problems when the documents are not located on the computer that is publishing the course.
- Sometimes the courses do not work in Safari.
- Storyline has allowed my team to take the eCourses vendors to provide to us and ensure that they function properly and look perfect. Vendors are not always reliable when it comes to copy editing, etc.
- Our company has gotten bogged down with eCourses created in Storyline which makes it financially and administratively difficult to switch to another tool. In this regard, it has not provided very good ROI.
Storyline is useful for creating fairly complex eCourse modules with branching decision paths. If you are only looking to create very simple eCourses, its functionality might be overwhelming and unnecessary. It is helpful to have Storyline in a company's arsenal because it is widely used by eCourse vendors, so when an eCourse is delivered and requires edits (copy editing, etc.), then the content manager or LMS manager should definitely have access to this tool.
Articulate Storyline Feature Ratings
Using Articulate Storyline
3 - I represent the LMS administration function. Our two other users represent Knowledge Management and HR.
It's important to be responsive because sometimes we have time-critical, client-facing issues that need to be addressed. It's also important to be detail oriented, because of all the features Storyline contains and the intricate ways they can work together.
- Editing and publishing eCourse modules from external vendors.
- Creating eLearning modules for internal employee HR training.
- Creating eLearning modules for internal employee capability development.
We are moving away from the standalone eCourse model, so depending upon when that shift happens, we might choose not to renew since we won't be supporting eCourses built in Articulate Storyline anymore. As long as we are still selling and supporting those eCourses, we will continue to renew the licenses we have.