Atom(s), Don't trust em, they make up everything. But it's not so bad, be like a proton and be positive!
January 09, 2020

Matthew James | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with Atom

As a preface, I no longer use Atom and I will make sure to include as to why within this review. As a sys-admin, you'd think that we don't mess with code that much but we do more than you think! I moved over to Atom from using the traditional editor like Notepad++ and it was a much welcome improvement. However, over time I found that it was actually more difficult than I thought. I used it to edit configs for multiple scripts, OS configs, ARM options, etc. Things that could be easily edited in N++ but I liked the debugging and error checking. But it started to fall short.
  • Debugging
  • Error reporting
  • Usability
  • Overall design and layout
  • There really was no ROI for us using or not using Atom, positive or negative.
  • The only positive thing I can think of is that I got some face time with the software and realized it just was not for me.
As I said previously, I used to use Notepad++ for all my code, config, etc. needs. I wasn't even aware that things like Atom or VSCode were a thing. I first learned about Atom and that is how I got started on it. I used it as much as I could and found myself always going back to a traditional editor because of the weird quirks and steep learning curve that Atom had. Now, this could have just been all user error but after a while, I started to learn it was just not for me. Then I learned about VSCode and right out of the box it just worked. That was a win for me. The extensions were an even better addition to enhance the VSCode experience. Atom has them too but at the time I was using it, there was no straight forward way to use them, documentation was sparse, or I was a big ol' dummy. Anyways, VSCode is exactly what I needed and using it is super simple. Like I said, it worked right from install without any need to mess around with anything.
I never used any official support for Atom and always relied on community sourced support. From what I gathered, and looking back on it now, Atom was for the more advanced programmer and not quite for tinkerers and occasional editors such as myself. The community was helpful which is why I didn't rate this lower. I can't comment on support directly from Atom.

Do you think Atom delivers good value for the price?

Not sure

Are you happy with Atom's feature set?

Did Atom live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Atom go as expected?

Would you buy Atom again?

Notepad++, Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Microsoft Office 365, Veeam Backup & Replication, Splashtop Business Access, Slack, Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Illustrator CC, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Teams, Fusion 360, KeePass, ConceptDraw DIAGRAM, Dropbox, Dropbox Business, Google Drive, TeamViewer, Microsoft 365 Business, FileZilla, OneDrive, OneNote, Oracle VM VirtualBox, Hyper-V, KeepSolid VPN Unlimited
Atom is deferentially for the more seasoned and experienced programmer. I do not consider myself extremely well versed in any programming language, however, I do know my way around them. So like I said, veterans and folks whose jobs are to code would benefit from Atom more than a sys-admin and tinkerer like myself. There are way better options out there for folks who do not code professionally or in a production environment.