November 12, 2020
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Avalara
Avalara is used in the accounting/finance department for sales tax recon/payment, and CertCapture is used by our CSRs to collected exempt certificates.
- Updating and staying current on sales tax rate changes.
- Filing state tax returns.
- Providing helpful webinars.
- CertCapture can take many days to validate a certificate, and/or does not provide explanation as to why a certificate was not validated.
- Submitting cases to Avalara is not helpful. Once an answer has been provided, the case is immediately closed and no helpful dialogue is allowed.
- When a mistake on return filing occurs, whether customer or Avalara's, correction of the error takes far too long.
- When working properly, Avalara is very good at what it does. I do not feel the need to babysit the system, which allows my time to be spent doing other work.
- It is very positive that our organization does not have to maintain departmental staff in order to accomplish and complete the service that Avalara provides.
- Avalara is linked to our sales system which is also very helpful and time saving in calculating or exempting transactional sales taxes.
- ERP Software.
I was not employed with our organization when the implementation occurred. Once implemented, it has worked very well.
Avalara is very good at what it does. Significant problems can arise when errors or problems occur (ie September 2020 filings.) Communication and determining answers can be very time intense. It is a usable system once training has been provided. Simple questions are difficult to have answered through the chat feature. I have waited longer than 45 minutes for my chat call to be answered. Some of this speaks to the organization overall, as well as the system usability.
- Avalara Returns
- Professional Services (nexus studies, registrations, backfiling, etc.)
Yes, our organization has benefitted from these services. However, as mentioned previously, problems with return filings have occurred and have been very time consuming in order to correct. Likewise, CertCapture validations can be very time consuming and we do not know why, as no explanation is provided. There [are] just lengthy delays while our customer has to wait to place an order.
Avalara has the monopoly on sales tax filings and this can create a situation where customer service is not a priority, as customers don't really have anywhere else to go for this type of service. It has appeared as though the company grew very quickly, and as the customer we experienced problems due to Avalara's rapid growth. In the past two years my organization has had four customer service reps within Avalara. This does not lend itself to having a CSR that knows our organization and business.