Remedy ITSM - Solid product
July 13, 2016
Remedy ITSM - Solid product
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite
Our whole organization is using Remedy for several things. We use it to manage incidents, work orders, change requests, problem management, known errors, and for the CMDB for asset management. There are plans to use it also for release management but have not gotten to that point yet. With the CMDB it allows us to have a central asset management point that we can use to leverage how incident are assigned. Remedy also gives us an out of the box way to deal with our change request process which is very helpful.
- Remedy integrates very well with many products so you can have incidents coming from many sources directly into Remedy.
- Service requests are something that Remedy does well. Once setup a user just has to answer some pre-determined questions and a work order/inicident/change request will automatically be created and populated based on the answers provided so business end users do not need a lot of training in order to open requests.
- Incident/problem management is a strong point in the Remedy system. Users can open problems directly from the incident ticket with the click of a button and it allows users to track incidents against problems fairly well.
- Service request creation needs some work. Some areas of service request creation like dealing with complex approvals need to be done better in future versions. Also, dealing with formatting of the service request screen needs to be improved.
- I found that reporting is a little lacking. For example, we have people requesting reports based on the audit log and we seem to be unable to do it as we did in a previous version of Remedy
- We also found that it is not easy to correct things once mistakes have been made. For example, if somebody happens to close an incorrect task there is no easy way to just go and open up the closed task.
- I don't have any hard numbers for this but without Remedy notifying people with incident tickets about issues we would not be in the position that we are.
- Our company has over a 99.99% up time and part of it is due to the Remedy system notifying people of possible issues before it causes a downtime.
- Thanks to Remedy's change request process it has allowed our company to make changes with the confidence that everything will go as planned.
I have used Remedy for 16 years and there has been some thought of changing to a new product, but it has been quickly shot down because Remedy does what we need it to do and we have been happy with it. We have never really done a full evaluation of any other products.
I believe it is well suited to deal with problem management and incidents. It is very easy to open problem tickets from the incidents and easy to see the relationships between the incidents and the problems. Our company also found that if you come up with a standardized way of naming the problems it makes it easier to search.