New Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches rock

New Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches rock

Overall Satisfaction with Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches

• Catalyst 2960 X/XR Series
  • Catalyst 9200 Series
We are using Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches for access switches in a factory and office environment across the company. It can also serve to give a network to printers and access points on the PoE switches. We are using our stack to distribute a huge amount of network access to the users. This way, it's easy to manage, upgrade, and it's more scalable.
  • Ease of use.
  • PoE performance.
  • The hardware is faulty sometimes (faulty stack cable is generating errors on the switch).
  • There are too many bugs in the new version.
  • ROI is positive.
  • Cisco is the global leader, so it's always a nice point for the company to use the global leader.
We just started to use the DNA center in our lab environment. With the new IOS XE devices, and especially the last switches that are using the DNA center license, it seems to be a very good approach to manage inventory, configuration templates, IOS image management, and so on.
We don't have the ability yet to use the full DNA center with assurance and so on, but it seems to be very promising, as I've seen on some Demos.
What I really like with the 9200 series is that you can mix a create a whole stack (like 8 members) with different models of the scale, like mix a 9200-24P with 9200-48T and so on, which is really enjoyable because you can mix the "distribution" switch (with PoE and Access points, + the uplink) and, on the same managed device, the access switches.
I hope I will always continue to use Cisco products, and especially Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches, which are, for me, the greatest products on the market. I already had a chance to try products from other companies and, to be honest, it was like a nightmare to me. I can admit that the Cisco products are a bit more expensive, but it's worth it.
I think Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches (2960X series or new 9200L) are a good compromise between performance and price. They are not so expensive and are giving a very good performance for our end-users.
Now the new 9200 Catalysts can provide multi-gig connections so that the new access point can have a faster debit rate.

Cisco Catalyst Addtional Questions

As usual, the Cisco documentation can be exhaustive, and it's not so easy to find the appropriate information on the website. However, when you are a bit used to it, the search can be possible and not so difficult.
The first white paper that was comparing the 2960X with the 9200 equivalent was nice and saved us a lot of time and energy.
  • Access switches.
  • Provide PoE connectivity.
  • Price
  • Product Features
  • Vendor Reputation
We are basically married to Cisco in our global organization. This is why we keep doing the network asset refresh with Cisco Devices. I can confirm all my network colleagues are 99.9% happy with what the Cisco devices are doing and how we are managing them, so, for now, there is no reason to change our provider.
In our organization in our LAN campus, we succeeded in preparing different templates which are used for different use of the switches, such as a standalone switch, stack with PoE switches, distribution switch with uplink.
As well, we created a template to use the smart licensing and to register the switches online, which was quite tricky at first.
The pre-sales process is managed globally within HCL.
The global team is managing the network asset refresh project and is seeking information from the local team, in my case, the network EMEA team, and, more precisely, the French sites. We decided to move forward with the 9200 series instead of the 2960X series.
We faced some kind of major issues after we received the delivery of the switches.
Because the global purchase team ordered toward our local provider, it was a bit difficult to know how we were supposed to get the licenses of the switches (as well as the DNA licences), especially when we didn't know the exact process at first.
We didn't engage any Cisco services during the deployment. We only needed Cisco to register the devices and get the licenses.
After this, we work in the lab environment to understand the new IOS XE. We tested the stacking process and the whole upgrade/downgrade, to be sure that we'll be able to manage those devices efficiently in a production environment.

Using Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches

1000 - They help in going from sales activities to the procurement department, HR, IT services, factory, maintenance in the factory, and standard users. Lots of offices and factory buildings are now equipped (or fully equipped) with Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches, and so far we haven't received any complaints, and we are happy about the new deployment.
5 - You need to have strong network knowledge, meaning layer two understanding, and layer three as well.
You also need to know about the last IOS XE environment and be able to understand the running-config, and to be able to troubleshoot; you need to know the last protocol, the new QoS settings, and so on.
  • Connect the new IoT gateway to it.
  • Use new AP with multi Giga speed.
  • The IT department can use the DNA center to manage Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches.
  • It can also help with the vulnerability topic to maintain a good level of upgrade.
I don't think very soon we'll renew our use of Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches because most of them are now used for access switch purposes for end-users.
Even if we have a stack with a distribution switch (to use Uplink and to connect access points), the global LAN design can't be changed for now.

Evaluating Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches and Competitors

I already had a chance to try competitors of Cisco in terms of "basic" access switches, and to be honest, it was challenging to apprehend the way of thinking of other suppliers. The IOS is much more intuitive and reliable compared to what I tried. Also, the design and the robustness of Cisco Devices are very appreciable.

Upgrading Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches

Yes - I now think than the upgrade of the new Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches is much more smooth and efficient compared to the previous update with the 2960X switch series.
Indeed, the upgrade itself is much faster, so the downtime for the user is minimum compared to what it used to be in the past.
  • Correct the last bugs.
  • We can have a new feature enabled.
  • I expect to have a new feature.
  • I expect to face fewer bugs.