Coursera has empowered me to grow professionally
January 31, 2018

Coursera has empowered me to grow professionally

Overall Satisfaction with Coursera

Coursera is used mainly by the tech department that is committed to developing the skills of its team.
  • Coursera has a wide variety of courses, on many topics.
  • It lets the student choose between auditing a course or paying for it and get access to the full content.
  • A lot are now run on a regular basis, usually every month. It was not the case at first.
  • I once did a course that required me to install a some software on my laptop (a virtual machine to run a database locally). There was little support to do it. I ended up leaving the course because of this.
  • Some tests are graded using peer grading. It works well on average, but sometimes it is hard to get valuable feedback.
  • The quizzes tend to stay the same from one iteration of a course to another. For many of the computer science courses one can find the answer on the internet which damages the value of the certificate.
  • It has helped a lot improving my coding and database design skills which I was then able to use in my job on a daily basis.
  • edx, codeacademy, dataquest and datacamp
Edx is a direct competitor to Coursera. It also offers online courses. I find that on average courses on Edx are more oriented towards theory than on Coursera.

Codeacademy, dataquest and datacamp are tools to learn / improve your programming skills 'in the browser'.

They are much more practical and are a good way to learn new skills by putting them in practice via tutorials.
It is well suited for someone organised and motivated. Watching the videos and completing the assignments is time consuming.

It is valuable if you want to discover about a new topic but also if you want to go in depth into one.