The beauty of a simple, fast, and intuitive CAD.
September 04, 2020

The beauty of a simple, fast, and intuitive CAD.

Massimiliano Mazzini | TrustRadius Reviewer

Software Version

Paid

Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight

It is being used by an individual. DraftSight is useful for mechanical plant design. It is very user friendly and easy to use. I use it at work for different projects mainly to verify dimensions, and I use it personally at home doing shop drawings and as-built drawings and some construction drawings. I have used the standard 2D and found that I was able to use 3D since it is similar to the 2D drafting and you can jump back and forth easily. I use DraftSight for a lot of things. I do take-offs and square footage for materials, but also use it as a working platform for engineering designs and working with designers/architects.
  • DraftSight is a simple to use CAD that allows you to make the most of the entire design phase of the drawings.
  • Intuitive
  • Speed up productivity
  • Yearly cost is affordable.
  • Better management of tables
  • Better management of quotas
  • Better print styles management
  • Very good by design
  • Very good for productivity
  • Very good for speed learning
Because switching from AutoCAD I had to make little effort. The controls are very easy. For example, what immediately comes to mind is the use of the word "Fillet." To me, the word for this angular intersection has always been "Radius." It's just simple things like that, which require the user to go out of their way to get used to this product. So if you have already worked on AutoCAD, that helps.
No, only Microsoft Excel. I am not using DraftSight as a connected tool for workflows and processes as I am using as an individual on small projects. Using Excel tables directly on DraftSight allows me to make the drawings easier to understand with more imported data. For example, I can insert the data for the machines (pumps, fan coils, etc.) directly into the drawing. And I can also use Excel formulas. This allows you to avoid creating tables by drawing them directly in the DWG, saving a lot of time.
Ease of use: surely the sw is easy to use because it is very intuitive if you already have knowledge of AutoCAD. In fact it has the same basic commands. The ability to underlay a PDF and tracing over it or converting it using a plug in has been valuable. Basic 2D drawings is all we use it for. Having the software be easy to use so many of our personnel can open the files and make some basic changes is really why we use DraftSight.
Absolutely, yes! Being intuitive, it was quick and easy to use it for drawings. Being an energy engineer I also use a software called mc4. But the CAD of mc4 is much more complicated. Using as a cad DraftSight allows me to open and share files easily even with architects, civil engineers, and electrical engineers. The use of intuitive commands allows me to be very fast in creating a drawing. Also, the option of making blocks is very useful!
It is useful to combine Excel tables with PDF details on a single DWG. It is very convenient to also be able to insert photos. This way you can provide more detail in your projects. DraftSight can also be used to create advertising labels, including billboards. Being a software for creating 2D drawings, it can also be used optimally in graphics. It is very versatile.
DraftSight is definitely good for making 2D drawings in the field of engineering. It is very useful to represent the schemes of heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation systems, fire-fighting systems, etc. It is also excellent in the field of architecture for making plans and elevations or to draw the construction of mechanical or electrical parts.

I don't think it is useful for BIM or 3D modeling or for creating multimedia systems, videos, etc.

Using DraftSight

1 - The software allows me to perform detailed drawings in dwg format to create mechanical systems (thermal, air conditioning, sanitary, sewage, ventilation, electrical, details of mechanical parts, gas networks)
1 - It is necessary to know how 2D drawing software (cad) works. You need to know what they are: layers, blocks, print ctb, layout, cad commands.
  • Designing fluid-mechanical systems in the civil field
  • Designing fire-fighting systems in the industrial field
  • Realize listed construction details
  • Draw electrical systems
  • Making plans and sections for architects
  • Create graphics for small publishers
I will definitely renew it in the future because it turns out to be the most convenient and economical cad software ever!