Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight
We use DraftSight for structural steel fabrication and erection drawings, custom fabrication shop drawings, and also use the DXF features for our plasma table. We currently have three draftsman using DraftSight Professional with LISP support. The cost of DraftSight compared to AutoCAD is a major reason for using it. With so much capability similar to AutoCAD, it's just the right choice for our growing company at the moment.
- Integrates AutoCAD drawings into DraftSight seamlessly.
- Capable of using LISP routines that I have used for years.
- Opens DWG files from files sent to us that we would not normally be able to open.
- 3D capability is lacking.
- Stability can be an issue sometimes
- Newest version doesnt run LISP as well as previous versions did
- Price is a major advantage of Draftsight
- Ability to send/receive/use DWG and DXF files is the main feature.
- Compared to AutoCAD pricing and our use of CAD software, DraftSight is just the correct economical solution.
- Software can get VERY expensive for a small company. Draftsight helps to reduce that overhead
Draftsight has, for our organization, the capability we require that AutoCAD has but without the excessively over-inflated price. We have been using Draftsight for many years. If Draftsight stability and LISP integration were more stable, they could easily take over the DWG/DXF market. My biggest issue with Draftsight is that previouis versions of Draftsight used LISP files better than the newest versions. I have one LISP routine I use all the time that just wont work in newer version and crashes Draftsight.
Do you think DraftSight delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with DraftSight's feature set?
Did DraftSight live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of DraftSight go as expected?
Would you buy DraftSight again?
Most of what we do is 2D. DraftSight is an excellent 2D software to replace the over-priced AutoCAD. 3D, however, is a lacking a bit and cumbersome but not used very often in our organization. I am yet to experience any BIM coordination and am curious of how well DraftSight will handle that.
5 - Computer Aided Drafting operators for structural steel, miscellaneous steel, custom fabrications. We use Draftsight for our CNC plasma table as well by importing the DXF files into our plasma cutting/nesting program.
6 - Draftsight is quite user friendly. There are multiple places to get tutorial videos and explanations for learning. Finding people with Structural Steel Detailing experience can be difficult so we, under most circumstances, found hiring interns and teaching them the structural steel industry to be beneficial.
- LISP integration for structural steel sizes
- DXF use for our Plasma CNC
- Ease of transition from AutoCAD to Draftsight
- ability to bring in drawings from other CAD software
- Cost savings over AutoCAD allowed us to use those funds for other things
- Continue to use Draftsight for projects and possibly look into the 3D version
Evaluating DraftSight and Competitors
Yes - Draftsight replaced AutoCAD as our main CAD software due to pricing and ease of transition from AutoCAD to Draftsight
- Product Usability
Cost difference between AutoCAD and Draftsight allowed us to purchase a new wide format plotter/scanner/copier
Support takes quite some time and hasnt been able to solve the issues. Between the issue of copying objects and the copied object is changed to the current layer and the issue of my most used LISP file crashing Draftsight every time I use it, it has been frustrating. If support could figure these issues out, I would change that ratinging to an 8 or 9.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Support is not on the top of our list. Most issues can be resolved through user interaction and user forums. Draftight support hasnt been able to solve the issues in the past before finding a solution ourselves. Improvements to the program are always being made but sometimes its best to just leave a good thing alone.
Yes - Yes, one of the issues I have had was solved in a very short time. Two other issues I have had have never been able to be solved.
I currently have an issue with the program crashing when I try to mirror larger objects.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using