Entrinsik Informer

Entrinsik Informer

Software Version

4.4.1

Overall Satisfaction with Entrinsik Informer

Informer is used across campus for ad-hoc and regular reporting. It has allowed the college to consolidate reports so that multiple departments are able to utilize the same report instead of recreating the wheel. In some departments, it has also allowed end users to gather information themselves without relying on IT.
  • Our users like that reports can include prompts. This allows different departments on campus to use the same report with their own specific criteria.
  • Informer is fairly easy to use. It has allowed some of our end users to create reports on their own. With some training and understanding of the data and design of the database, they have been able to get what they need out of our student information system.
  • Personally, I like the fact that I can write a t-sql query and just copy it to Informer. This is much easier for me as a DBA than having to use the user interface.
  • We have routinely had issues with Java on our Informer box which require us to reboot the server. Support has been helpful when this occurs but it would be nice if it was easier to troubleshoot the problems on our own.
  • Infomaker,Crystal Reports,Microsoft Query Analyzer
Informer is used by most offices on campus with information in our student information system. We have about 700 full time staff and faculty. Our users range in experience and skill levels from very low to extremely capable. It was a difficult endeavor to get users to adopt Informer but now I think they would be upset if we were to eliminate it.
We use Informer to report from one database only. Our student information system has included functionality that updates the data source used by Informer. We are looking for a system which will allow us to report from disparate sources but have not consider Informer. We will likely use SQL Reporting Services because it is free, more widely used, and better documented.
Setting up security in Informer has been quite easy. We utilized their LDAP functionality and tied into Active Directory. User like the idea of only having one password. The security within Informer is easy to understand and set up. Reports are easily shared within departments. Our users also like the email function.
I can not answer this question as we have not utilized many of these tools within Informer. I can not answer this question as we have not utilized many of these tools within Informer. I can not answer this question as we have not utilized many of these tools within Informer.

I think Entrinsik Informer is well suited for a small organization that needs reporting functionality requiring IT oversight. We have one IT staff member whose primary focus is to create reports and work with end users to understand how to extract needed information. Reporting is a very delicate area - everyone needs information but not everyone understands just how to get that information out of the system. Informer has given some of our end users the ability to do reporting on their own. However, it has also allowed IT the ability to easily get the data to those who aren't as comfortable with reporting.