Process Automation with K2
February 06, 2018
Process Automation with K2
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with K2
We use K2 to rapidly develop software solutions to automate our business process across the organization. These solutions are developed for specific teams as well as enterprise wide. We are able to develop solutions in a much more rapid time frame then if they were written in .Net from scratch. The built in workflow engine alone saves tons of development time. This engine can also be incorporated into applications written in house that had a basic workflow engine in it. This quickly gave us an in depth workflow engine quickly.
- They offer free pre-built solutions for common issues facing many companies. These are great to quickly get an application up and running and also a quick way to learn from an existing application how everything in K2 functions and works together.
- Their workflow engine is robust and really helps streamline the development process. Developing process automation solutions is very streamlined with the workflow engine.
- Their integration with SharePoint is an awesome way for companies to extend on their existing SharePoint solutions and sites with a true application development environment complete with workflow engine.
- It is very difficult to find/hire K2 talent to build up a development team. Without Resources, it is hard for K2 to succeed in an organization.
- The learning curve to digest all that K2 has to offer and development methodology is very steep. This steep learning curve makes getting a development team using K2 a slow process.
- K2 can be buggy which causes issues which are harder to resolve then when using a standard development environment such as .Net or Java.
- It is arguable whether hiring some really good object oriented .Net developers would be more productive than investing in K2 considering the money saved could pay for some really top of the line developers. Especially considering .Net developers are much easier to find than K2 developers.
- Our team of 20 loan officers could be reduced to 2 once our automated process was put into place that completely streamlined their processes.
- One team had to work across 5 different applications and K2 brought data from all of them into one place where it could all be seen in one place. This streamlined their process and reduced opportunity for errors.
K2 delivers much more efficient enterprise level solutions to our organization. The K2 workflow engine and forms tools are superior to Nintex in what they can deliver. Nintex however, was much easier to learn and the team got up and running much more quickly using Nintex. Heave use of Nintex eventually slowed down out SharePoint farm due to resiging and running on the web front end servers. This caused us to migrate to K2 where we could develop more robust workflows that did not have a negative impact on our SharePoint farm.
K2 is well suited for building applications around process improvement where the workflow engine can come into play. The workflow engine can quickly build many process automation tasks without writing much code at all. Managing workflows in the production environment are also very nice as where the workflows are at in the process are tracked and are easily re-started. Integration with SharePoint is also valuable if an organization has a deep use of SharePoint. This allowed us to quickly leverage existing SharePoint lists and sites already developed without starting completely over.