Microsoft Project definitely worth the cost
April 27, 2016

Microsoft Project definitely worth the cost

Richard Crane | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft Project

We use Project across the organization to schedule all projects and initiatives, whether those be small, medium, or large in scope. I've found that Project can be used successfully with Waterfall and Agile projects alike. Microsoft Project helps track milestones and tasks and provides visibility to team members, including management and executives.
  • I love how easy it is to plot milestones and tasks, and who is responsible for those tasks. Being able to quickly see the scope of work, start and finish dates, along with the resources scheduled to perform those tasks, is such a time and productivity saver.
  • Changes to the project due to scope or duration due to lack of resources are easy to make with Project. I can easily adjust my schedule, add new tasks, and move milestones and finish dates with ease.
  • The reporting tools are great. I can see what percentage of milestones have been completed in real time and share that with sponsors and management.
  • It takes some time getting used to using Project for agile rather than waterfall, but it's not impossible. And as you get more familiar with your sprints, using Project for agile becomes easier. Just a little learning curve is all.
  • There are some features that I don't see useful, like Timesheets. I'm sure it's a great aspect of Project, but not something that I'm interested in using.
  • Extra cost associated with it. I'd love if it was bundled in the Office Suite.
  • Project has been nothing but positive for our organization. It allows me to estimate duration and tasks associated before initiatives begin. It also helps planning work and budgeting in relation to other organizational initiatives. I wish all of our departments used Project when planning, beginning, and completing projects.
  • Bottom line: Project saves us time and holds project teams accountable to complete milestones on time.
Other tools are better for Agile projects, but our organization does more of a Waterfall-Agile combo, which leans more on the Waterfall side. Project can do everything other tools can do, but is easier to use and understand. The learning curve with Project is much easier than with other tools I've used.
Project is great for any team completing any type of initiative, whether large or small. Establishing a timeline and milestones prior to beginning work is key in holding your team responsible and accountable for what is to be delivered. Project is the best tool to accomplish that. Although Project is built for Waterfall projects, Agile projects work well too.

Microsoft Project Feature Ratings