Product Manager Quick Review of Miro as a Collaboration Tool
November 10, 2021

Product Manager Quick Review of Miro as a Collaboration Tool

We use Miro as a collaboration tool. It is often used for quick documentation of wireframes, process flows, or other information organization. It gives one place for all to collaborate on such items. Our whole department uses it for similar purposes. I find it to be easier to learn and use than many comparable tools.
  • Collaboration.
  • Process flows.
  • Information organization.
  • Visually appealing documentation.
  • Prototyping.
  • Integration with other tools.
  • Export ease of use.
  • Navigation around the canvas.
  • Snap to grid alignment for consistent spacing.
  • Improved productivity.
  • Reduced costs of discovery documentation.
  • Facilitated collaboration.
We have a relatively straightforward implementation of Miro. We do not make use of any plugins or integrations. If there are further customizations, I am not currently aware of any of them. So if this is something that exists, it would be great to know so I can better understand how to use the tool to meet my needs.
Again, I am not aware of integrations, so I can not speak specifically about the ease of integration. Learning to use the tool was easy. Unfortunately, there might be onboarding regarding integration that I am missing in order to speak to this question specifically. To my knowledge, integration was easy, but that may not be very useful information to share.
Collaboration is the key way our team uses Miro. I am able to hold workshops and document complex ideas in real-time even easier than it would be to capture these ideas in person. They are also preserved, unlike they would be on a whiteboard. The ability to have people observe someone else in real-time without having to share a screen, and also simultaneously actively contribute without "running into one another," has been very helpful in working efficiently through complex problems.

Not sure

Miro is the best at open collaboration and initial or ongoing concept documentation. Lucidchart is much better at creating any diagrams that need to be used or exported for formal documentation or in multiple formats. Figma and Sketch are much better for prototyping, though I would imagine that some integration between the two would bridge the gaps that both lack for open design sessions.
Miro is best for documenting process flows or other diagrams. It helps to organize information quickly in a visually appealing way. It is less appropriate for any documentation that needs to become print-friendly or exported to be used outside of Miro. Though it can be easily made to be visually appealing, high levels of color and shape customization are not possible.