Excellent tool for remote or in-person collaboration and planning
November 15, 2021

Excellent tool for remote or in-person collaboration and planning

We use Miro for collaboration both within our team and across departments. For example, our team uses it for our quarterly retrospectives, where we discuss what worked well in the last quarter and what we'd like to improve going forward. Miro is the perfect tool for this since we can all write our notes, then easily reorganize them to group them by category. Since we are now working remotely and plan to do so for the foreseeable future, Miro is an excellent tool for hybrid working conditions. Even if some team members are able to meet in person and some are still remote, this tool works well to accumulate and organize ideas, notes, steps, and concepts. We also use Miro for things like training sessions, to help organize the schedule, add links, and keep everyone focused.
  • Color coordinating - lots of colors are provided to be able to organize more effectively.
  • Tools like timers mean facilitators only need to use one app.
  • Features like notes and emojis have many uses, like being able to vote on a favorite topic.
  • Everyone has access and free movement, which makes the facilitator's job easier.
  • We've been having trouble getting access to some boards, sometimes I have access to edit one day but then am only able to comment the next and have to ask for access a second time.
  • It would be great to be able to temporarily turn off people's access or freeze their cursor, in case the facilitator or note-taker was getting overwhelmed by seeing everyone move around the screen.
  • Improved efficiency.
  • Quicker meetings.
  • Better organization of projects.
  • More effective planning sessions.
We were able to implement Miro in various ways, and are still finding new uses every month! I always ask colleagues what they are using it for, or try to sit in on other teams' meetings so we can find new ways of using Miro to its fullest extent. There are also videos and newsletters which can help with this.
Miro was very easy for me because I have used similar applications, but may have been more difficult for people who are less familiar with this type of software. However, Miro provides detailed instructions, tutorials, and FAQs for people new to the product. My team was able to transition very easily to Miro.
We started using Miro when we switched to remote work at the start of the pandemic. I think Miro is a much better tool than some of the resources we were using when we were all in the office. There are so many features that are designed for remote collaboration and new ones are being updated all the time. Even if we went back to the office full-time, we'd continue to use Miro.

Not sure

The only similar product I've used is Figma. I'd say they are both good for remote working sessions, but offer different features. Figma is better for design-related processes, while Miro is better for organization and brainstorming. The interfaces are pretty similar, using one would probably make it easier to pick up the other.
Miro is perfect for group meetings where not everyone is in the same location, especially when the meeting requires things like note-taking, voting, brainstorming, and organizing ideas. It's also great for organizing content, for example, I create e-learnings, and my stakeholders use Miro to organize the content they want to be covered in the e-learning, including links and images. I don't think Miro should be used to design things like slides or presentations, but I've never tried to do this, maybe it works well!