Great for small to medium sized groups.
August 10, 2022

Great for small to medium sized groups.

We use Miro to plan iterations of work in a visual way, which helps us locate cross-team dependencies and determine the predictability of our planned work. Miro greatly increases the visibility between teams and gives Management and product insight into how we plan to deliver value to our customers and how much effort that entails.

Pros

• Integration with Jira.
  • Links to other parts of the board.
  • Pre-made templates.

Cons

• Speed on larger boards. It tends to get bogged down.
  • Readability at different zoom levels.
  • Knowing where I am on the big board. I get lost quite often.
  • Mapping cross-team dependencies in planned work.
  • Planning work for a period of time given our team's predicted capacity.
  • Visibility into what other teams are focusing on.
Miro has many great features and capabilities, making it a flexible and useful tool for many different use cases. However, as more users interact on the same board, lag can put a damper on mood as well as productivity. There are also many cases where it is just as useful to have one person take the lead in making changes to a shared board rather than having everyone try at the same time and step on each others' toes.
Miro has a convenient integration with Jira. However, I haven't used it myself, and other members of the team seem to have some trouble figuring out exactly how it works. Besides that, there was also a big confusion about licensing the first iteration that we tried to use Miro, which has since been resolved.
We use Miro to collaborate across locations, time zones, and continents. It allows us to see what other teams are working on and communicate where we might depend on them for help, even if it isn't currently their workday.

Not sure

Miro is well suited for 3-5 teams to plan their iterations. That is a good size where each team could keep an eye on the other team's areas and perhaps find some dependencies. However, bigger groups could experience slowness and clutter and feel overwhelmed by all the information displayed on the board.

Comments