Miro: advanced visual collaboration
August 17, 2022

Miro: advanced visual collaboration

I use Miro both as a student and as an employee of the university in the architecture faculty. The architecture discipline is very visual. Miro is very convenient for sharing visual content. As a student, I use Miro for collaboration purposes. When working together in a group, we are able to share content from research (texts, drawings, and links), share our own drawings and we can use them to brainstorm together when working online. Additionally, Miro allows for sharing this content directly with teachers. As an employee, I mainly use Miro as an online whiteboard. In larger projects, the open layout allows structuring the project clearly, and in a visual way. This is opposed to many other programs, where large projects can become messy and unclear. I frequently have to share my ideas with colleagues. Because my colleagues are also on the boards, they can easily view the board at any time of their liking.
  • Structuring large projects
  • Collaborating on visual projects
  • Brainstorming
  • Showing a large amount of content on one page
  • The Miro app is not always working. I personally had some issues with Miro logging out directly after signing in, which forced me to use the browser version
  • Miro gets slow when you add a lot of large files on the page
  • It can be hard to align all content and make it similar in terms of size and style - especially when multiple people work on the board.
  • Miro made working online during covid much easier
Miro was already in use when I joined the university, so I cannot say much about the implementation process. As a program, it was very easy to learn, however, and I was quickly used to it; so I would think it would be easy to implement Miro in many organizations.
It might be hard to use Miro next to some other programs because Miro has many functionalities that can be found in other programs, which makes it tempting to use for other purposes, even though other programs might be better. Miro has a lot of possibilities, so you might also use it for e.g. text writing or sharing files. I do however prefer to use other programs, such as Google Drive and Dropbox for this, as you can also connect this to your PC files/explorer. Miro can do a lot, but I would advise to only use it for collaborating on visual content and to use other programs to make final products
Miro has definitely been a large improvement in the workflow in the architecture projects I've worked on. For the first projects during Covid, we needed to screen share and use several programs to get work done, but Miro has made it so much easier to collaborate. You do not necessarily have to work simultaneously, but you can still interact with other users with the note and comment functions, overall making working much more flexible.

Not sure

Google Jamboard is way more basic than Miro and has less storage space. It's great for small projects and if you don't plan to use it regularly.

MURAL is perhaps a bit more user friendly than Miro and is a great tool as well. Especially when collaborating with people who are unfamiliar with the programme, MURAL works well (such as in workshops). Miro does however have a few more possibilities/tools, so if you work with the programme on a regular basis, Miro offers more.
Miro works very well for sharing visual content and collaborating online. If your purpose is just to share content, Miro might not have a lot of added value compared to other sharing systems. For collaborating on content, Miro has a lot of options. Features such as post-its, and pen tools offer basic collaboration options. Tools such as drawing shapes, making tables, and mindmaps offer more advanced possibilities. Additionally, you can directly view images and pdf documents, which makes it easy to draw over these and comment on them. Many other specific tools, such as an icon library charts maker open up possibilities even more. In education, it might be an advantage as well in certain cases that students can see each other's work and learn from that. As a teacher you can decide whether or not students are able to see each other's boards; so if plagiarism is an issue, you can also decide to make boards visible to particular students.