Miro's is Unintuitive and Needs Improvement.
August 19, 2022

Miro's is Unintuitive and Needs Improvement.

We used Miro for a project in our human-centered software design course. It was primarily to organize notes taken on user personas before beginning the project. We used it in our brainstorming sessions and created sticky notes to put on Miro about what user needs and possible features might be. The project was related to creating a dashboard for school project presentations.
  • The UI is clean and inviting.
  • The UI is aesthetically attractive.
  • The dashboard is unintuitive
  • Sometimes I wish there was a downloadable application. Being in the browser makes it impossible to tell what a right click is going to do.
  • The UI is pretty but frustrating to use. I can't find what I need and performing actions take longer than I would like compared to Figma.
  • I used this as a student, and we did not bring our project to market.
Miro's aesthetic is very nice and provides a very tactile feel to actions, so I think the graphic design implementation is great. I can not really speak to the backend, as I did not look at the code. However, I feel like the loading time of some projects took a bit longer than expected, so it would be helpful if there could be some optimizations there.
I am a bit unsure of what is meant by integration. I used this for a very fast prototyping project in our school's course, so I did not explore how to directly integrate Miro with other software tools. If integration refers to how easy it was to add Miro as a tool in our project at the macro level, I think my teammates and I both had a pretty easy time learning to use it.
Our project occurred while COVID was still a threat that appeared occasionally. Being able to whiteboard and brainstorm online, and be able to edit it not just through a picture at the end of our brainstorming sessions, was very helpful and meant that we all could be on the same page and spend less time attempting to sync.

We were encouraged by our professors to try other products. Miro was provided for free by our school. To be honest, I am not sure if I would have used Miro otherwise. Figma seems much better in the general use case and also more intuitive. The only thing Miro does better is stronger visual feedback and a better "box + text" feature.
I think Miro is best suited for fast brainstorms where you need frequent "sticky note" type structures of a box and text together. Since Miro has this encapsulated with a UI that feels tactile, it is easy to drop a lot of ideas onto the page like this. In general, however, I feel like Figma's UI is more intuitive to use and therefore better at creating diagrams or any kind of more complex organizational structure.