Great tool for remote teamspaces.
August 22, 2022

Great tool for remote teamspaces.

We use Miro to collaborate on remote projects. Specifically, we build a "digital" room to emulate a typical workspace of a scrum team and work within that "room" as a distributed team(over multiple countries, even continents) in the very same way as we are used to doing locally. It helped us a lot to keep a shared understanding of our current state and tasks and kept the feeling of working as a "team". It was very similar to the "old" scrum/kanban board we all know from working in offices, the central entry point to meet and collaborate for the whole team.
  • follow someones screen when explaining, very intuitive to find and use
  • it looks nice, does give a "warm" feeling, thus incentives its usage
  • combination visuals and text, easy to combine
  • voting: vote on certain "objects" to democratize decisions in the team
  • integration of video/sound/chat - since its the central entry point a direct integration with that would increase the "team room" feeling
  • navigation - if the board gets big its sometimes hard to find things
  • zooming - might just be me, but I always need multiple tries to get the right size:)
  • Reduced amount of time spent on team coordination
  • Speed up team assembly (we were able to create temporary teams assembled from multiple countries and companies in less than a week and had them productive working)
  • Reduced number of tools in use, e.g. no combination of spreadsheets, draw.io, etc. to replicate a team room
To me, it felt very stable and intuitive to use. The features(at least the one I used) are easy to find and use. It can be hard to use in case of a low network connection, but as long as enough bandwidth is available I did not have any issues in using it.
Because it took me about a day to feel comfortable and productive with using Miro. There was little to no work to set everything up and getting productive with it. I experienced much more issues(f.e. browser incompatibilities, ux-issues) with other products having similar purposes. I would simply say, Miro, made it easy to start working, without focusing too much on the tool itself.
It allowed us to replicate the standard physical team rooms, known from different agile frameworks, in remote environments, where such a physical room does not exist. By this, it helped us a lot to use other methods(f.e. from the open practice library) to build (temporary) teams out of people that did not or did little work together before and get them productive. It, therefore, lowered the "cost" of small temporary projects and allowed to assemble those teams out of the fitting experts, with less need on having people already know each other before.

draw.io: It's nice for (smaller) diagrams to quickly sketch together, but lacks the power of collaboration that Miro offers. It's more or less a small subset of what Miro brings to the table. MURAL: Similar in features, but feels much more "clumsy". Nothing feels really intuitive and all features have to be "searched". Also felt less stable.
From my perspective, Miro is very well suited for (probably) all collaborative remote work. If a team(or only a temporary assembled group) needs a place to work together and coordinate their work, Miro is a perfect choice. It's especially strong as a digital replacement for physical (scrum | kanban | whatever agile) team rooms, to support teams working from remote. It's not ideal for (software) architectural work in such scenarios, since it lacks features in terms of for example UML-Diagrams. It's also not the best solution for someone working alone, only in search of a visualization tool, since most of its value comes from collaboration. In single-user scenarios, many similar tools are available that don't necessarily need a stable internet connection.