Miro for the win, for designing with a team dispersed around the globe.
November 15, 2022

Miro for the win, for designing with a team dispersed around the globe.

Shadi Mallak | TrustRadius Reviewer

Our design team and stakeholders are around the world in multiple locations. We use it to brainstorm design ideas together, document design stories, or just to exchange ideas about various processes at the company. We use it asynchronously so everyone is kept in the loop and gets to post and exchange ideas and progress, but also live during meetings to do presentations and design reviews. We've even sued it to create a team social space to get to know everyone and post photos or images of our hobbies, interests, trips, etc.
  • Allow to brainstorm and build up references and mood boards.
  • Allow to document a thought process and gather notes and visuals in one place.
  • Allow to collaborate live or asynchronously on content.
  • Allow us to share content internally or even externally with partners.
  • Easy support for translation, with some options (ex.: ideally, by a local live translated preview or at least through notes, duplicate frames, side-by-side elements, etc.)
  • I work with teams and partners that sometimes only speak English or Chinese, so the back-and-forth local translation in MIRO would be a BIG plus. We can spend a lot of time handling those translations manually.
  • Embedding videos would be a big plus. The limit to gifs under 30 megs is limiting.
  • Possibility of linking to our own private hosting solutions for videos or other files instead of having to rely on implementations that are public or less secure.
  • Better export to PPT (supporting gifs and videos).
  • Capacity to work asynchronously as well as life with full remote teams across the globe.
  • Reducing the barrier for the team and stakeholders to be able to ask questions, provide feedback, and share references and work in progress simply.
  • Changes the design culture from a closed process where the team or individual works and polishes a design and shows it with the intent to sell to a design culture where work in progress is constantly shared, and the thought process can be seen and shared. Effectively making the design iterations shorter and faster, improving the end result, and removing more blind spots.
  • Increases teachable moments and knowledge sharing by providing a shared space where individual and group thought processes can be documented and shared easily.
I have not worked on any integrations.
With Miro, I've been able to document my thought process during various phases of the design process and let my team and stakeholders have access to it to review, contribute and approve. I don't have to maintain separate files to present and then gather feedback. The whole process flows more like a big interactive discussion, with the whole evolution of our shared thinking available for all to refer to. It's cut down the time I would need to package ideas and then document feedback and follow up on it. Miro is pretty much present in parts of all our live meetings as well.

Not sure

Confluence is very different, but I've used it to document designs. It's good for traditional simplicity and for the features such as elaborate change logs. It is not a tool for creative thinking and iterating, though, more for committing designs. As for Figma, it has a lot of collaborative features, such as Figjam, that I believe could be used similarly, although I haven't had time to use it as much as Miro in such a way. Also, I'd say Miro has a lower barrier to entry and Figma might be better reserved for the design team and implementation team rather than opening it up to everyone to use it for brainstorming. Miro really shines during the conception phase. Its free-flowing tools are great there, but maybe less suitable when it comes to documenting and sharing final documentation and specs.
Brainstorming design features or documenting processes - while in the design and development phase. MIRO is not as suited to documenting final specifications and sharing them with larger groups. Building presentations and presenting them in a way that is more favorable to getting feedback from partners and stakeholders. I feel that a PPT is more of a sales pitch; a Miro board is more of an active discussion.