Miro Experience
November 18, 2022

Miro Experience

Miro is used for Kanban Boards (daily meetings), user flows in app mock-ups, and a whiteboard alternative for remote workshops. It serves mainly as a substitute for wall-posters and post-its with the immense benefit of not requiring all participants to physically be in the same place (which we often are not).
  • Creation of (relatively) pleasing boards is extremely fast and requires no onboarding
  • Real-time collaboration in remote-workshops works well
  • took a long time to figure out, but the auto-arrangement of cards is a neat feature
  • Basically, this approach brings the messy post-it-on-cardboard tradition to the digital world. It's not a better solution, only more accessible remotely.
  • Miro seems to have dozens or even hundreds of different functionalities and integrations. I have not even looked at 95% of them, and have not really been encouraged to do so either. If those functionalities really bring benefits, users should be more often reminded/hinted when they could benefit from using one.
  • Board Search and Navigation is not very intuitive. I basically only use direct links shared by colleagues since I have little trust in finding the right resource in a timely manner via navigation..
  • Miro is not directly tied to business objectives, it's more of a supporting tool
  • many colleagues really like working with it; especially appeals to more 'creative' / less structure-oriented people
  • swift navigation even for larger boards
  • little to no onboarding for newer colleagues needed (if you only use base functionalities)
Since this question cannot be skipped: I was not involved in the integration of Miro.
I have joined the organization after Miro was introduced, so I cannot give any feedback on any direct changes that Miro brought.

However, I remember a former employment where we had two physical Kanban boards in different office locations which had to be synced manually.. This was an absolute pain and I am happy that we do not need to worry about such things any more.

Not sure

Miro is a really good solution for boards where a team wants to collaborate remotely. A Kanban board for daily standups is a typical example.
It's also suitable to create flows with mockups which illustrate (for example) user-flows for different users or interactions.

Personally, the endless canvas with endless zoom always makes me suspicious if I have missed something in boards created by other colleagues (they might be 1.000.000 times smaller, thousands of pixels away..), but that's not a major drawback.

Miro is less suited for structured work - in many cases, lists or tables structured on a restricted canvas (something like Word or Powerpoint) are more appropriate.