Facilitate and ideate
November 18, 2022

Facilitate and ideate

We use Miro to facilitate workshops and ideate for new product experiences and improvements to existing services. We use it to map user journeys and page flows and site maps. It is used by every member of the design team and additionally by other members of cross-product teams who we work with regularly. I have found it has become more useful as the years go on and is our go-to tool in the early stages of new projects.
  • Facilitate and manage workshops and bring people together
  • Ideate lo-fi wireframes using the wireframe library
  • Provide easy to use templates to quickly build a workshop plan
  • The powerpoint/present feature is something I have only recently discovered. I feel it has a lot of potential to save time presenting ideas but it is a bit hidden. I also found it hard to order the frames initially which might feed into my point below.
  • I like that it is an open board with scope for anything. However this is something non-designers struggle with in terms of navigation. In terms of the powerpoint/present mode too, I feel it could benefit from some structure to help organise frames into swim lanes or have pages as per Figma.
  • The pan or select mode is the biggest frustration when working with other team members as frequently people move elements on the board by mistake. I know I can lock features but when you are facilitating a workshop for collaboration this isn't always appropriate. I don't know if this is related to mac vs pc use but would be handy to look into this.
Have not integrated anything directly. Use in conjunction with Figma and Axure but no actual integration
We don't have to wait to pull people into the same location so projects can proceed without any hold ups in relation to people being in the same room

Not sure

It is well suited to support facilitation and collaboration in a remote setting where team members are split across location. The facilitator tools really support moving between presentation and doing and the option to keep you on time to task.

I feel it supports the early design stage of all projects really well and we use it for all project kick-offs as a useful place to keep all our initial thinking, user journey mapping, lo-fi wireframes and page flows together