MongoDB for All!!!
Updated December 18, 2014
MongoDB for All!!!
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with MongoDB
MongoDB is being used by my department and for 1 product only. People are learning about it's qualities slowly and hopefully will soon start to use it in other products. We had some scaling issues earlier with MongoDB and they have been resolved now. Also, there was a lot of debate about the sharding issue we had in Mongo database.
- It is schemaless, so any type of data structure can be stored which makes it very flexible
- Document embedding, which is alternate to table join in traditional DBs, works great
- Sharding makes it really handy to access the data withing no time.
- There is a limitation on the number of documents stored in a collection which can be better handled
- A shard key cannot be changed after sharding a collection which makes it hard if we later decide to change keys on a collection
- A database name in MongoDB can only be 64 characters long
- Increased employee efficiency
- Improved system performance and turnaround time
- better data replications strategies
MongoDB is better managed and as we use Erlang, it is better paired with Erlang modules. The integration with erlang using emongo driver provides a fast and reliable database access and thus providing a quick query processing for the application to return results in a timely and as efficient manner as possible
MongoDB is giving us what we need for this application and their suport is very good. All the developers working on MongoDB application are well trained using MongoDB's training tutorials and certifications provided by the company online. Product support is as expected and in time. We had a good experience with the product support team once when we had a sharding issue some time back.
MongoDB is very well suited for Content Management software where media is stored and served along with its metadata like in e-commerce, etc. Its also suitable for big data related applications like log data collections where effective storage, management and processing of large amounts of data is required. MongoDB fits the purpose in the above situations.