Why we switched to Pure
Updated September 27, 2019
Why we switched to Pure
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Pure Storage FlashArray
We are a managed service provider, we use FlashArrays for shared storage for our private cloud customers and as dedicated storage for several of our larger customers. We have been steadily replacing all older spinning disk storage systems with FlashArrays. This has allowed us to greatly increase storage efficiencies and provide outstanding storage performance to all our customers. FlashArrays have solved varying issues for different customers, from database performance to storage efficiency of VDI applications.
- Ease of management - both the local administration and PureOne dashboard allow us to monitor systems as well as provide life-cycle management.
- Storage efficiency - the de-dupe and compression ratios are fantastic. We can provide our customers better cost to usage ratios.
- Service and support - online upgrades for both software and hardware means no downtime for the customers.
- Evergreen controllers - upgrades to the latest hardware as part of the service contract means we don't have any more data lifts when upgrading to the new system.
- Ease of configuration and integration with our hypervisor providers - just another way not to spend all our time managing storage.
- Cost is still a little high, increasing storage is pricey but things are getting better. Aside from cost though, the new features released and the fact there are no extra costs for any of these features can make up for the overall price.
- Return on investment has been great, lowering management costs and providing greater storage efficiencies.
- System reliability is awesome. We have several FlashArrays and very few hardware failures; something like 4 drives in 4 years, and no controller issues.
- No negative impacts with these systems for us at all.
They know of our issues before we do, the people are personable and helpful. They have worked with us on everything from drive replacements to architecture to multi-vendor configuration issues. They are always the easiest to get a hold of and always the most flexible of our vendor's support teams.
At first, they most of our selection criteria but were missing some key components. We could use them for specialized deployments but not shared systems. They worked with us and added the components we required and we now are moving all storage needs to Pure Storage systems. Their service team is way ahead of the others we evaluated and have done nothing but improve since we moved to Pure.
We have only one scenario where Pure is not the answer; backups and archives. For all other scenarios, we have been very happy with the FlashArrays. We are investigating FlashBlades for a couple of specialized deployments, where they may be better suited but we will stay with Pure for all solutions not involving backups.
Pure Storage FlashArray Feature Ratings
Using Pure Storage FlashArray
50 - All of our internal business functions and all are client's environments (minus one) run on the Pure FlashArrays. We have replaced all but one array (it uses a specialized function only that manufacturer provides) for us and our clients. We will use nothing else in the future.
2 - The Pure FlashArrays have been so low maintenance all the administrators have had their duties greatly expanded. We used to have one fulltime admin and four that would help as needed maintaining storage systems, we now have two that spend less than 10% of their time with the Pure systems.
- Databases - mainly SQL
- VDI environments
- General virtualization - both VMware and Hyper-V
- We are examining disk to disk to cloud backups.
- Clustering arrays for business continuity and performance balancing
- Hybrid computing - moving between cloud providers and local virtualization
With the Evergreen program, we can upgrade (and we have upgraded all of our FlashArrays at least once) without downtime for the customers. This allows us to avoid "forklift" upgrades and provide our customers the best technology and limited disturbance to their environments.
Evaluating Pure Storage FlashArray and Competitors
Yes - We replace Netapps FAS storage systems. They did not provide the density or features we needed for the future. They are using outdated technology in their flash systems and their service group of late has been lacking.
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Vendor Reputation
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
Pure Storage FlashArray Implementation
The Pure side of the implementation went well, it was cleaning up bad decision made earlier that were the problems.
Change management was minimal - Limited change management was required. Once the FlashArrays were online and connected to the client environments it was a matter of vMotioning the virtual machines to their new homes.
Pure Storage FlashArray Training
Configuring Pure Storage FlashArray
Just doing one or two items will teach you where everything is in the interface and the rest is easy. One of the simplest configurations I have ever done.
Pure Storage FlashArray Support
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Using Pure Storage FlashArray
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
Yes - Very well, have been able to track open support cases and verify system performance on the go. New features are popping up all the time and some are very useful, like opening up remote access for support - they can fix the issue and you never have to sing into the FlashArray itself.
Pure Storage FlashArray Reliability
All the features are there and we didn't have to purchase an extra license for anything. All pretty straight forward to confugure.
Relationship with Pure Storage
I have been working with Pure for six years and I know my sales people well. They listen to our use cases and find the answers to my questions. They are simply the best sales group I get to work with.
Upgrading Pure Storage FlashArray
Yes - All upgrades have gone smoothly but one and that was handled with openness and candor. They identified the problem and explained how this would not happen in the future. Don't believe a vendor had been so honest with me before.
- Greater ease of operation
- Better monitoring and reporting
- Increased storage efficiencies
- new features
- increased storage efficiencies
- More integration with cloud