Overall Satisfaction with Qlik Replicate
Qlik Replicate is used to keep internal and external data in sync for the Interstate Batteries data lake running on Snowflake. It is used across the entire organization, even at the officer level. It allows us to have a reliable single source of truth for the various reporting needs at Interstate.
- Replicate data from external sources to an internal data lake.
- Keep data in sync from one source to another collective source, regardless of the sources in question.
- Perform near-real-time tasks and replications as required, but this is adjustable because some of our replications are only meant to provide data that is not less than 24 hours old.
- In the beginning of our partnership, support was a real challenge. It has improved over the last three years, but there is still more room for improvement.
- The learning curve is steep and it is hard to find a replication specialist, so Interstate was forced to train someone in house, and there were growing pains there.
- Cost is always an area for improvement, although, in my opinion, at least for Interstate, cost is reasonable.
- It is hard to quantify the value that reliable reporting brings; the reporting would not be possible with out Qlik Replicate.
I have not evaluated any other competing products. Qlik Replicate was the first product we selected for the data lake three years ago, and we have stayed with it ever since.
At least for us, it would be difficult to find a replication specialist, and so we had to train up someone already on our team. Support was not very good the first year, but that has improved. It is a steep learning curve without good support. It was worth the time investment, though, for the value the solution provides.
It is a good solution to achieve the purpose of keeping two disparate data sources in sync with each other. Our environment is small to medium size, so it is hard for me to say how well it scales. The rate of replication is adjustable and this is one way to improve performance.