gets your job done fast, smooth and fast.
March 27, 2017

gets your job done fast, smooth and fast.

Overall Satisfaction with Redis

We have a range of sensors that transmit data to our server and this data is stored in a MongoDB database; while it's stored we needed a way to transmit the data to our web application to generate live charts on the fly; to accomplish this we used redis coupled with socket.io since the application storing the data and the application generating the charts are seperate entities. Though there are other ways to accomplish this, redis has been really useful is helping us accomplish this.

Another place where we are using redis is for our caching, since we deal with high volumes of data, we use redis as a caching mechanism and it has done wonders for us.
  • Speed. The very fact that it is used for caching systems should verify that it must be really fast.
  • Pubsub. Though there might be alternatives that solve this problem as well, in our case redis did it accurately and without any data loss.
  • Redis has a couple of data types that aren't available in other systems. The most useful one according to me is lists; I haven't been able to take full advantage of this feature yet though.
  • Redis may not be for you if you want to deploy a cluster but don't have at least 5 different devices since it requires at least 3 masters and 2 slaves for the configuration to work.
  • The reason redis is really fast is because it resides in your RAM hence it might be a problem when you have an application that needs a lot of RAM and it has to share that with redis. This will depend on the size of your application, users using the applications and obviously the amount of RAM you have.
I really liked the whole PubSub feature and I can see a lot of other use cases that it can be used in. The whole idea about a minimum set of devices to achieve clustering seems like an overkill.
  • It was worth it. Got the job done fast and accurately.
  • No complaints whatsoever. I don't plan to explore other alternatives anytime soon.
Redis is definitely the more established one among the two and it has been here for a while so it has better support and documentation and obviously more stable than CouchDB; also at the time I started, CouchDB was just starting out and didn't gain much popularity like it has now.
I am keen to explore redis even more as it offers a lot more that what I have used it so far for. I am more keen to explore the data types that it offers and how they can help me improve my code.
If you are dealing with an application that needs to serve high volumes of redundant data or feel that memcached isn't doing enough for you, then it's time to consider redis. Also, redis can be a great tool to communicate between different applications without creating interfaces that might take a lot of time build.

Using Redis

1 - I use redis as I am the primary application developer and I architect the application.
  • Caching database queries that are used very often and require a lot of resources.
  • Sharing data between two applications in realtime.

Using Redis

Redis has been around for very long and it is good at what it does. It proved to be very valuable in my use case for interfacing between two applications with very little code as it has drivers for almost every language out there and the community support is really good.
ProsCons
Convenient
Feel confident using
Familiar
Requires technical support
  • Caching and PubSub were the two things I needed and Redis was able to handle them both pretty well
  • Didn't really find it difficult to implement the features that I was using but setting up clusters could be difficult because of the minimum requirements for slave and master.