Enhancing Data science capabilities with RStudio
Updated January 26, 2022

Enhancing Data science capabilities with RStudio

Suryaprakash Mishra | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with RStudio

I have extensively used RStudio, when I was seconded to the Department of Health in Victoria to assist with the surge in COVID19 Delta response. In my day to day, I used R mostly for Descriptive and Graphical analysis and data management. Most of the analysis is used to provide insights to reduce road trauma and promote road safety.
  • Dara Management.
  • Descriptive and Statistical analysis.
  • Data science and machine learning.
  • Text analysis.
  • Can not run concurrent sessions and sometimes freezes but can be due to local or virtual machine capacity.
  • RStudio has come a long way, and expect enhancements will continue to improve performance and ease to use.
  • Much cheaper option then SAS.
  • Data science and machine learning- used to solve complex business problems.
  • Enables to launch Data Science project in Cloud-based environment.
Amazon QuickSight, Power bi, SAS EG, Tableau, Salesforce (TREVI) - Victoria, SharePoint.
Unfortunately, there was no need for me to contact customer support. I have received excellent training from senior colleagues and hands-on experience and shadowing when they were building codebase.
I have not used Shiny in my current role, however, one of our analytical providers used shiny to analyse and visualize road crash data.
No, I haven't used the Commercial offerings in my team here at the Transport Accident Commission.
No, I haven't utilised the hosted offering.

Do you think RStudio delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with RStudio's feature set?

Did RStudio live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of RStudio go as expected?

Would you buy RStudio again?

RStudio is very easy to learn and learn. Lots of free resources and user groups and support is around to enhance individual capacity to solve problems. Most recently we used RStudio to geospatially map road infrastructure within 100 meters of crashes in Victoria.

RStudio Feature Ratings

Interactive Data Analysis
Interactive Data Cleaning and Enrichment
Data Transformations
Multiple Model Development Languages and Tools
Single platform for multiple model development
Self-Service Model Delivery
Flexible Model Publishing Options
Security, Governance, and Cost Controls

Value of Using RStudio for Data Science

RStudio Workbench helps scale for a team of R users there are number of useful features such as project sharing, collaborative editing, session management, and IT administration tools like authentication, audit logs, and server performance metrics.
Rstudio helped me during my secondment with the the Victorian Department of Health to assist with the COVID-19 data management and reporting. We used RStudio through VM.
I use Tableau for dashboard and used RStudio to create pipeline workflow. I used this for updating the power bi and Tableau for reporting of COVID-19 cases.
I do not have much experience and knowledge of Python at this point in time neither at the Department of Health or with my current organisation.
Its available all the time with me and can use as and when required.
I am basic user of the RStudio and most of the codes are in R for data management and for reporting purpose. This not my domain as part of the infrastructure team, However and more than confident that the Department of Health will renew use of RStudio.
I have RStudio installed on my personal computer and use for the analysis of the data that are publicly available.

Using RStudio

6 - Data Science team within Business Intelligence team
2 - Our technical and installation is managed by the ITSS shared services.
  • mapping of crash data to road asset data
  • deep dive to find out more about crash data to support road safety
  • Text analytics of the survey data and meeting notes were collected from all the council visits in Victoria.
  • The Data Science team extensively used R for Injury coding
  • mapping of crash location and road infrastructure data
  • May be more across analytical teams with bit of training

Using RStudio

Convenient
Feel confident using
Inconsistent
  • Mostly all packages
  • data management and data cleaning
  • graphical representation
  • Data science and statistical analysis
  • none, however, this depends on the problem/issue that we are trying to resolve.
  • This also depends on the experience of the user and support available around if there is something not directly available on web.
Yes - I just tried RStido with my Android Mobile and it runs well without any issue.
I continue to learn and use RStudio and this is really working for analytical and reporting purpose.