RStudio from a Grad Student's POV
April 14, 2022

RStudio from a Grad Student's POV

Overall Satisfaction with RStudio

RStudio is used as a supporting program for graduate-level courses, such as Experimental Research Methods. It helps students understand how to clean, analyze, and visualize quantitative data. The scope of my use case is 10-week courses that have used RStudio in different ways, i.e., information visualization and data transformation.
  • Cleaning large datasets
  • Automating the data transformation process
  • Customizing datasets, plots, etc.
  • Unintuitive importing/exporting CSVs and/or datasets
  • Console errors are difficult to understand and not informative
  • Steep learning curve, especially for those unfamiliar with R and programming
  • Cutting down on time
  • Lower costs of data exploration
  • Facilitating data insights
The most similar products to RStudio that I have used include IBM SPSS and Tableau Prep. In my experience, SPSS is more intuitive and has less of a learning curve; I used it extensively in my undergraduate career in Statistics and Cognitive Science research. While RStudio has more of a learning curve, I'd say that I am more rewarded by learning how to use it. It is valuable and easily applicable in my industry, which is why I would recommend it over SPSS and Tableau Prep for data cleaning. However, if your goal is information visualization, I'd recommend Tableau Prep.
I have not used their online documentation, email support, and Customer Success representatives. There are times I wish I had that support; however, I was not aware that was an option for users. I would have wanted those customer support options to be more visible or communicated while I was learning how to navigate RStudio.
I believe I use RStudio's open-source offerings, though I'm not entirely sure. I use libraries, such as ggplot, which I have found from Googling my question. I mostly use these tools to streamline the data analysis process, which helps me explore the tool and complete my project goals efficiently.
I do not currently use RStudio's commercial offerings.
I do not believe I currently use RStudio's hosted offerings. Everything I use has been free.

Do you think RStudio delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with RStudio's feature set?

Did RStudio live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of RStudio go as expected?

Would you buy RStudio again?

Figma, Adobe Illustrator CC, Notion, Slack, Zoom, IBM SPSS, Miro, MURAL (formerly Mural.ly)
RStudio is the best option I've seen for data cleaning, prep, and transformation. Other tools, such as Tableau or Excel, are not easily transferrable to other formats or are manual and take too much time. RStudio is less appropriate for small datasets and academic courses that won't dedicate as much time to learning the fundamentals of R.

RStudio Feature Ratings

Interactive Data Analysis
Interactive Data Cleaning and Enrichment
Data Transformations
Multiple Model Development Languages and Tools
Single platform for multiple model development
Self-Service Model Delivery