Overall Satisfaction with SAP Extension Suite (formerly part of SAP Cloud Platform)
We have been using this service for almost 2 years. We migrated from SAP Cloud Platform to the Extension Suite. We have deployed a couple of interesting applications (Java/Nodejs) on SAP Cloud Foundry, run on HANA Service provided by the Extension Suite, and grouped them by the SAP Cloud Portal, another service from the Extension Suite.
- Integrates many SAP services on the same cloud platform.
- Availability to integrate with the on premise systems, may be SAP or non SAP.
- Works with an open source ecosystem, such as Cloud Foundry.
- This year we have seen there are usually bugs from some features that after some weeks are solved, but you have to wait until they get fixed on an update.
- Security and role features should be improved to be more granular.
- The processes are well suited for the company and accessible everywhere, anytime by the SAP Cloud Portal for Cloud Foundry.
- It's a paid service for the time you want it, so it's not like an on-premise solution with an initial investment and maintenance.
- You can decide anytime if you want to continue with the service, add new units of any service, or have less.
SAP NetWeaver may be ABAP or JAVA, is an on-premise solution limited to its capacities and the programing language of SAP. With Extension Suite, specifically on Cloud Foundry, you can use many different open-source projects and it's more flexible. It can be integrated easily with other solutions of SAP and non-SAP. It can also be used with the integrated suite for complex processes with different systems, all of them always online, on the cloud.
In our experience, the pre-built content helps a little because it is made for the best-practiced processes of SAP. However, it is not often the customer wants to adapt their processes to the best practices. They would rather make their own flow. I would say ready-to-use services and content are not used much, at least from our experience on our implementation project.
Do you think SAP Extension Suite delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with SAP Extension Suite's feature set?
Did SAP Extension Suite live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of SAP Extension Suite go as expected?
Would you buy SAP Extension Suite again?
It is especially well suited for a company that wants to be on top of the cloud world because SAP is focusing a lot on its cloud products and their integration. This doesn't mean on-premise software is not good. For example, with Extension Suite you have programming languages like Java and Nodej. This is an open-source using version, like Git, or procedures for deploying CI/CD, Jekins, which goes away from the traditional ABAP coding of R3 and S/4 HANA.