SAP SQL Anywhere the most powerful for lighter business
October 09, 2018

SAP SQL Anywhere the most powerful for lighter business

Pradeep Bele | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with SAP SQL Anywhere

I as a SAP Consultant use SAP SQL Anywhere DB with multiple SAP as well as non-SAP products as support and implementation products. It's been completely used by a client's whole organization, where we were not in the situation to put much of the hardware resources, also we were not in the position to put extra manpower to manage the DB as with other DBs like Oracle, DB2, MSSQL, Sybase, HANA etc...
  • I will try to put in simple way- the best parts are this product is delivered as a default DB for some of the products and can be used as default we can say inbuilt DB delivered with complete setup and can be setup according to our needs.
  • It is simple to manage and use, very light weight, uses less resources hardware as well as manpower.
  • I would say it is the best DB to use for SAP BO system, smooth implementation, not much of the challenges too and easy to use with different workarounds.
  • Since I am using this DB and I can see the tremendous and improved functionality that has been delivered with each version, as a DBA you should expect this DB should support a huge amount of DBs like the way it can work with small scales.
  • Also I can see there are many features being delivered with each versions, which you should mark as disabled if you don't manually use or enable or configure them which will ultimately help to save the unnecessary usages of resources.
  • If you plan and setup in proper manner there is negligible negative impact.
  • As a positive impact - less utilisation of hardware as well as manpower resources to put on to manage DB, always being delivered with improved performance and new features.
  • As a negative impact, so far we use this DB only as a recommendation for particular products like SAP BO, Wily Interscope etc... where this DB is being delivered as built-i , so we have not much of the negative impact.
As compared to others, SAP SQL Anywhere requires much less effort to install, setup and manage, and the support team from SAP is always there. You have very good support for this DB as many experts have improved the documentation which are easy to accumulate for your team..small and regular queries to execute are running flawlessly with speedy performance.
SAP SQL Anywhere DB is very well suited where you don't have large data loads with huge amount, its very well suited with SAP BO, Wily Interscope, etc as it need less of the queries with simpler manner and less load, also comes as a built-in DB.
This DB is definitely not recommended where you have huge amount of data sources, regular big transactions, and is in fact not suitable for finance, business systems, or in more customer or master data management systems.