Skype - A one stop bet for all professional connectivity requirements
March 16, 2017

Skype - A one stop bet for all professional connectivity requirements

Score 9 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with Skype

Skype is used as a primary means of communication across the organization. People use it to communicate as well as share screens. Also it is very very convenient to use Skype for video calls. Also the integration of Skype with Lync makes it all the more valuable for my organization. Also it helps us to get our technical issues sorted by using screen share and the ability to transfer control helps a lot. You can transfer control to the technician and he can do the fix himself so you don't have to scratch your head worrying about where to get the job done.
  • Video calls: The best application for video calls. It automatically adapts to your connection speed and the video call is adjusted accordingly. Also, the clarity of audio and video is great.
  • Communication: It has a great interface for texting. The use of emoticons makes it meaningful to send across your message more effectively.
  • Screenshare and transfer control: You can share your screen and also transfer control to someone who is trying to help you from another system and it is very very convenient.
  • Form groups: You can organize your contacts by forming groups.
  • Calls drops: I think this is inherent in any calling software and there is always room for improvement in this area
  • Interface: Probably Skype can make the user interface more friendly for new users.
  • Pricing plans for premium users can be made more affordable for individual licenses.
  • It has considerably reduced the capital expenditure required to maintain a huge number of computers as we hire fewer technicians to serve more needs.
  • It is reasonably cheap for a large organization and will hardly reflect in your expenses yet the effects can optimize the operations in a great way.
Skype is probably the most efficient in terms of connectivity and it is least affected by the bandwidth fluctuations if you compare it with WebEx. But I would prefer WebEx if I was buying an individual license. Since I am storing with a huge number of people Skype made more sense to integrate. This if why I opted for Skype. It also gives you features like screen share and control transfer which is missing in WebEx. All the more reason to go for Skype.
Skype is best suited if your organization is large (200+) as it is very effective to communicate. Also, the screen share and transfer control features are very handy. If the number of people is huge in your organization and it's not possible for a few technicians to go to every desk and sort the issue, the this is where the screen share and transfer control features make it very very useful. For individual users, it is not very effective as the pricing plans are also not very cheap for individuals. But yes you can always go for the free license for personal use.

Skype Feature Ratings

Participant roles & permissions
Confidential attendee list

Using Skype

Investment Banking
We have a technical team that resolves most of the issues with Skype. However, for any inbuilt problems, we reach out to Microsoft.
  • Screen share
  • Transfer control
  • Video calls
  • Transfer control for even helping someone with PowerPoint and giving training
  • May be if it can be integrated with Microsoft Outlook that would be very helpful.
I think so far there is no reason not to renew the license. We have been using Skype for a long time and are very satisfied with it.

Evaluating Skype and Competitors

• Price
  • Product Features
  • Product Usability
  • Analyst Reports
The product usability in terms of the ability to share screens and transfer control are very very effective.
I think I would still go for Skype because it has met our expectations in every way.

Skype Support

Whenever I have had issues, they got resolved very quickly. My experiences have been very good with Skype in this regard.
ProsCons
Quick Resolution
Good followup
Knowledgeable team
Kept well informed
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
None
Yes - For commercial use, it's best to get a paid license and the customer support team is very helpful to resolve your issues.
My Skype was crashing everytime I tried to transfer the file. I contacted Microsoft and the support and the steps they provided worked like a charm for me.

Using Skype

It is very useful in terms of integration the organization and very cost effective for a large organization.
ProsCons
  • Texting
  • Screenshare
  • Transfer control
  • File Transfer
Yes, but I don't use it - I have not tried it but for business purposes I think computer interface is the best.