I can't imagine life without Slack.
May 21, 2024

I can't imagine life without Slack.

Overall Satisfaction with Slack

Slack is our main hub of communication. We are a small advertising agency and we use it to do a few different things.
1. We have client channels where we can discuss work, share learnings, share media coverage, etc
2. Sometimes we have shared channels with clients and/or additional vendors directly
3. Internal channels that range from practical, like HR announcements, to fun, like sharing family, pets, travel.
4. DMs, of course, to faciliate fast and easy questions, etc

Pros

• Organize threads of project content - WAY easier than having multiple emails
  • Provide the ability for others to observe communication on projects or topics that they aren't directly involved in
  • Create a space to share universal business announcements
  • Create spaces for topics that are fun

Cons

• We have issue with people not posting on main topics in the comment thread- which can cause things to get disorganized. Not sure how you can help change this user behavior, though. Could we move the location of a comment?
  • We're a small business and it's mostly self-serve - but I would like to encourage our tech lead to revisit tips and tricks every now and then to make sure people are making the most of it. I bet there are features we don't even realize are there. Seems like something you could also email individual users?
  • My channel list gets VERY long, and some are dormant for long periods of time but I don't want to get rid of them. Again, I think there are solutions but when you're working fast against a high volume of demands it just gets overwhelming. Is there maybe a prompt you could build in to remind us to put quiet channels in another section or something like that?
  • I don't have hard numbers, but I can't imagine the level of mistakes that would go uncaught without the easy ability of multiple people being alerted to look at something in real time.
  • Efficiency of communicating this way takes a lot of slog out of email, more focus on more important conversations and tasks
  • It is on managers to define expectations on how long it should take someone to respond on Slack; it can feel immediate, which can be distracting to deeper work
It was too email centric - you get too many emails telling you to go there, so it seemed inefficient.

There wasn't enough non-project functionality so it was never really "always open" for people the way Slack is, it just felt like an extra thing to do, rather than a tool that was truly integrated into our workday.

Do you think Slack delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with Slack's feature set?

Did Slack live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Slack go as expected?

Would you buy Slack again?

I can't imagine working without it at this point. It's a much better solution than email for most types of communications between colleagues.

Slack Feature Ratings