NCM Easy Back-ups
January 24, 2019

NCM Easy Back-ups

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager

We use SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager to backup our configuration and look for any changes. Being able to have backups and quickly restore a switch to the previous configuration has worked out well using NCM. I set up an approval system, so I can manage the changes on the switches. I can just monitor changes on the switch or have certain users need approval to make changes. I also looked at NCM to find any commands that previous users did not configure the switch for security purposes as most equipment was configured before my arrival.

Pros

• Backups, Backups, Backups, NCM saves and deploys your configuration quickly.
  • Management of allowing users to make changes.
  • Identifying missing commands needed for security of your device.

Cons

• Setting up graphs/charts
  • Configuring or displaying the devices using their network mapping tool
  • I would like to see an easier setup to integrate all devices/nodes managed by NCM
  • Upgrading the software can be painful if you don't pay attention
  • I was able to recover a switch quickly after the switch lost its configuration.
  • Ability to quickly identify security configuration concerns.
  • Saves time.
We already were a customer of SolarWinds, so when the time came to look at software to manage and backup our configuration it was an easy choice. NCM integrated with our other SolarWinds software and the price was right. We did not want to go elsewhere and have another platform to manage.
NCM is well suited for mid-to-large size companies. If you mange many devices that you would to backup automatically, work with a small IT team that has plenty of tasks to do, and wants to verify the integrity of the current configuration. I do not have to spend hours looking at the configuration on a device to see what changed. NCM highlights the difference between the backup configuration to the running configuration and I take it from there.

Comments