Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
When I started at my current company the previous engineers had used Nagios but never trained anyone on their specialized configurations or how to duplicate their work. Since Nagios no one on the team that was left had experience with Nagios. I brought in SolarWinds NPM to quickly bring a handle on basic networking monitoring which was not being done. Management bought into my plan and we've migrated all monitoring to SolarWinds products as a core single pane of glass.
- Easy templates can be made to train everyone on adding and managing nodes.
- Reporting Reporting Reporting
- Constant upgrades to features to keep up with the changing times.
- Better email controls. Right now we can do everything to control different groups getting emails but it could be easier.
- NTA needs to be part of NPM they should not be separate products.
- Filtering/searching options on syslogs and alerts.
- Reporting and forecasting helping us find the path to supporting growing areas before bottlenecks happen
- Transparency with all of our internal groups for what is really happening on the network.
- Templates and standards to ensure consistency on the network.
I've used ScienceLogic, Whatsup Gold, Tivoli, CA's Suite of tools as well as many many others that focus on just small areas of network monitoring. From out of the box Solarwinds is the most cost effective and ease of use tool to get working in your network. If you have under 200 networking nodes and all the passwords to each of them you can deploy NMP in under a day with one user doing 99% of the work. It will take you longer to get your servers built for NPM and the database then it will to actually get your nodes under monitoring by SolarWinds.