Basic SAM review
February 10, 2016
Basic SAM review
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
SAM is being used to monitor both servers and network infrastructure. It helps us to monitor and alert on our resources, so that we know right away if a server or switch is overworked or if a service or server goes down. It is crucial in our providing 24/7 up time and support without having someone sit and actually watch all the systems.
- it can alert on server or service outages
- it can be configured to be specific to the applications running on a particular server
- it can be focused on the specific hardware and all alerting levels can be configured according to where you want them to be
- alerting can be easily disabled for patching and maintenance
- if you aren't careful with your alerting, you can get blasted with a huge amount of alerts if a server reboots
- there can be a learning curve when first finding where to enter your devices and manage them. there is a lot to see and do in the interface, so that can be overwhelming for some
- it has prevented server downtime by alerting to high ram, cpu, or disk usage before the end applications where affected
- it has prevented a number of servers from getting too low on disk space and causing problems
- it has shown potential issues in systems, so that they can be troubleshot before they are put into production
SAM was in place when i started working here, i was not a part of the decision/review process.
If you don't have staff on hand at all hours to monitor the systems for you, SAM works great to allow the staff to keep an eye on what is going on without having to check into each server.