Enjoy SAM
December 01, 2018

Enjoy SAM

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor

We leverage SAM to give business owners across our enterprise information about their specific applications in performance as alert handling. It helps my department assess responsibility and assignment in a proactive manner. SAM helps us distribute the weight of supporting applications among the business owners and holds them accountable for their own processes.
  • SAM templates allow me to customize components and thresholds on the fly.
  • SAM templates allow me to create dynamic and useful NOC pages for non-technical users.
  • SAM allows me to test without deployment and confirm settings before I deploy into production.
  • It allows me to tap into the Thwack community to pull in custom templates and choose components that may work for me without having to use all of them. I can pick and choose the items that work best for my needs.
  • I am not always familiar with the specifics of the components with scripting or usage and I sometimes find the documentation spotty in helping me achieve what I am attempting to do. I would likes to see more examples.
  • I would like better metrics provided to me on the performance of SAM and how it relates to poller performance.
Overall, it has been a positive impact on my environment. The more I am able to get the word out or have it circulate by word-of-mouth, the more business groups are asking questions about what SAM can do for them. It really helps take the burden of issues with applications from the "IT" team to the business owners and allow them to have a stake in the performance or use of their application. I find it also helps inform the business group about "IT" in general and gets them more involved with understanding environmental changes with their applications.
Some of the visualization requires the use of agents, so I have not deployed this on a wide scale. I find the relationships good to see, but in my environment I have not found this use to have been helpful in my day-to-day activities at this point.
Here is the strength of SAM. The full stack with all other environmental variables allows my team to review trends and more importantly historical data. I cannot tell you how important it is to be able to go back in time and get the full picture. This has allowed us to see cause and effect on multiple platforms and helped us in understanding some of the relationships within the environment.
  • It has provided positive ownership with changes in the environment.
  • It has allowed my team to network with other business units around our firm to help better understand the needs of their operations as well as their customers.
Overall, SAM has a large repository of components to monitor. Additionally, I found the supporting community to be a large bonus. Someone is always out there that has had the same issue. Lastly, the support with feedback offered by SolarWinds has been more than I expected and is much appreciated.
It is well-suited and is easy to set up for process monitoring or component monitoring. The basic template and ease with which you can monitor core components is very nice. I can select multiple node targets and easily pick and choose what we require. Even after deployment, the ability to add or disable those components is simple and fast.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Feature Ratings

Application monitoring
Database monitoring
Threshold alerts
Predictive capabilities
Application performance management console
Collaboration tools
Out-of-the box templates to monitor applications
Application dependency mapping and thresholding
Virtualization monitoring
Server availability and performance monitoring
Server usage monitoring and capacity forecasting
IT Asset Discovery