Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
Currently, SolarWinds is being used in our IT department only. We use it mainly for granular alerts on our VM environment servers, both critical and non-critical. Its granularity is excellent, allowing me to administer my infrastructure in a very detailed and organized way. Works as it should, but one of the business problems I can see is that it is all module-based, but allowing different admins (such as system and network) to create their own alerts and topology of our infrastructure gives them ownership of their job descriptions.
- The granularity in its alerts and reporting gives me access to critical information, especially in compliance.
- Its LDAP integration with Active Directory really helps in keeping organized our "Master List" of network-connected devices.
- Once, when my Windows Server Update Service was unavailable, was able to implement patches through it.
- The GUI is very user intuitive.
- I would much like to see the modules sold in categorically grouped bundles, such as a networking bundle which would include all modules relating to the network.
- Would love to see an addition of an API or something like that to connect to VMware Vcenters.
- Found that if you acknowledge alerts, it makes it very difficult to remediate them inside of the program.
- With Solarwinds, our biggest achievement due to its use is the fact that we were able to cut down by more than half our finding during our annual Penetration testing.
- Using Solarwinds, we were able to mitigate and remediate our Pen test's findings, such as findings related to AD accounts and passwords.
- Being able to automate a lot of the processes helps with the set it and forget it mantra, especially with server monitoring and network traffic monitoring.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Feature Ratings
It's kind of a pain to have to have all the different modules to really be able to lock down your infrastructure's monitoring.
- Alerting and Reporting
- Monitoring of server health
- Monitoring of network health
- LDAP integration for Active Directory (Allows changes to be made without having to go into AD - Users and Computers)