A good fit in our organization
Updated September 21, 2016
A good fit in our organization
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
We use the URS backup appliance as a primary backup of our VMware environment. It is used across the entire company. Unitrends addresses our backup and recovery of our virtual environment which consists of healthcare websites which need 24/7 uptime and several other systems which are business critical.
- I like how the scheduler works, Unitrends automatically adds new VMs as added to my VMWare environment. This makes it easy for my backup schedule to function, I don't "set it and forget it" with any of my systems, but Unitrends works very well in this environment.
- Unitrends support is top notch, they contact me when there is an issue I haven't even seen yet, usually a hard drive error that they can see in their reports.
- The dashboard has room for improvement in my device, I've seen demos of the new dashboard and there are a lot of improvements, but my device will not get anymore updates. :(
- It can be difficult or impossible to terminate a running backup, sometimes this needs to be done due to performance issues with an in service server.
- With our VMs, we can feel secure that recovery is fast and complete.
- We needed a appliance like Unitrends, as we moved into virtualization, our old backup systems were not up for the task.
- We have been able to quickly recover files using the Unitrends appliance.
- Veeam Backup & Replication
Unitrends pricing was significantly better and the appliance fit into the business model when we purchased it.
It's definitely great with virtual machines. I've also used it with physical machines, but the virtual machine backups really shine. I like that you can do bare metal backups to restore to dissimilar hardware. And we have a tape storage device that hooks up nicely with the Unitrends appliance.
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Feature Ratings
Using Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
1 - IT systems management is the only user of the Unitrends appliance
1 - In our environment only the IT support (me) would use or understand the Unitrends Appliance.
- Restore files
- we don't use Oracle HCM Cloud
- To backup Physical machines if we increase the storage size, this means a new appliance
The Unitrends appliance has been a device I have been able to setup and use being sure I am getting the types of backups I need without a lot of in depth training. While it is and can have a lot of further usage, you can get started and work your way into it. Unitrends support has been for the most part excellent and very proactive.
Evaluating Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Reputation
I was looking for an appliance vs a virtual machine that would be in my SAN backing up my SAN and Unitrends offered this. Now when we are looking into co-location, Unitrends offers solutions for this keeping with the stand alone appliance that we are used to and fits the company goals
I probably would look beyond my reseller and look at a few other products, the market is changing so rapidly and there are many other software solutions out there now, nut Unitrends is still a leader and I am happy with my choice.
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Implementation
Maintain your support with Unitrends, it's well worth it
- Implemented in-house
Yes - Initial setup- get online and see how unit functioned. Change setup to utilize integration with VMWare. Add archiving function to tape loader system.
Change management was minimal - In a small organization like this only IT is aware of the Unitrends appliance and Management is too far removed from the day to day of the technology backbone to understand where Unitrends and other IT systems fit into their company overall.
- Learning the new technology
- The entire roll out of a Virtual environment
- Finding that some of the Unitrends device interface can't be accessed at the user side, Unitrends support has to do some configuration.