Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
The Unitrends Recovery system is used across the entire organization providing backup/recovery/archive services for the primary servers used by the town. The town uses two appliances, one is the primary recovery server while the second is located about a block away and is used as the replication system. The two sites are fiber connected so network performance is not an issue. Prior to using the Unitrends system, backups and archiving were less than ideal, the Unitrends solution provided the ability to support not only recovery of the file system but also for the SQL, SharePoint and Exchange system at a more granular level than was previously available.
- The user interface has improved significantly with the latest release making it very easy to see the complete picture of your backup/recovery system.
- Recovery of individual files is very intuitive and as well recovery of individual pages within SharePoint or individual mailboxes has proven extremely valuable.
- The hardware has also proven itself to be very resilient and its call-home feature, when hardware problems are pending, has ensured that appliance continues to function without interruption or downtime.
- While there are a lot of various reports available there is still room for improvement, especially when trying to understand the usage of the file system storage, a drill down into each client's backup and archive data would be beneficial.
- The ability to grow the capacity of the appliance via drive upgrades, within reason, would alleviate the need to do appliance swaps or add additional appliances, even if there was an incremental adjustment to the support costs.
- For someone like ourselves who, because of legislation, do not have the ability to use external cloud services having the ability to use an internal self-hosted cloud or NAS/SAN for long-term historical archiving would be more than welcomed.
- The Recovery appliance was critical in recovery of a recent ransomware attack, thousands of files were affected. The system was able to recover and restore the damaged files and limit the lose to a few new files that had not yet been backed up. This saved literally hundreds of staff hours.
- Using the appliance we were able to easily recover emails from the archive for a former employee that were needed for a litigation.
With the installation of the Unitrends appliance, we now have a flat cost structure, clients can be added/dropped without affecting operating costs. Whenever issues with the appliance are encountered, either questions about the OS, setting up backups/archives, doing recovery or hardware related the Unitrends support team has been exceptional in their assistance, a total change from the cost and support structure of the previous product.
While the Unitrends appliance was selected over a software only solution with the goal to provide improved availability it did have one significant drawback. The appliance does not provide full support for our Citrix XenServer hypervisor, as such there is a continued dependency on using agents within the VMs to address backup integration. Unitrends does have a software solution that has native support and our hope is that eventually it will be included in the appliance. The appliance also provides the ability to do an instant recovery of critical client(s), a very important feature for us. The Unitrends system was a saviour last year when our site was hit with ransomware, we were quickly able to recover all the affected files from the backups and archives with minimal impact to our internal staff.