Simple Usability Tool to Optimize User Experience design
September 17, 2020
Simple Usability Tool to Optimize User Experience design
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with UserTesting
UserTesting website and services are used by our marketing department. So, we can evaluate which version of our site experience and content drives higher customer engagement and transactions. We conduct usability study using a targeted set of users who are familiar with an e-commerce website. For example, if we want to know what type of product images engage our food customers more, we start adding those kind of images to our product detail pages. Previously we were focusing on showing outside of a closed box containing the product. After running usability studies, we started showing images with the box open so customers could clearly see how the actual item looked like.
- UserTesting enables collection of qualitative data on what user experience design drives higher engagement and conversions and which site layout does poorly on engaging the customers of an e-commerce website or visitors to a website
- UserTesting allows follow-up with participants who were part of a UX design test in-case their video recording of the testing session didn't articulate the test findings clearly due to technical issues.
- UserTesting helps determine content strategy around new products by testing users who may have used those products already when they were customers of another similar business. So, we can implement engaging content which results in high sales.
- UserTesting test results can be improved by ensuring testers are experienced in conducting user experience tests or by providing them additional training on how to do those tests. So, they speak out their findings and record their actions properly.
- UserTesting test results can be improved by ensuring testers have microphones which filter out noise or sound interference and are testing in an environment with minimal extraneous disturbance during the test.
- UserTesting test results can be improved by increasing the number of experienced respondents to a test by offering higher financial incentives. So, sample size of quality testers is higher which increases confidence in the test results and their findings.
- UserTesting test results helped us determine more relevant and engaging user design experience of marketing funnel for our customers.
- UserTesting test results helped us determine more relevant and engaging product images content for our customers. So, they don't abandon the funnel and dive deeper into it by adding those items to shopping cart and completing their purchases.
- UserTesting test results helped us determine more relevant and engaging marketing banner content and location within the online ordering homepage. So, customers click-through those banners or view them to look at featured list of items and eventually, convert on them. This deeper journey of customers towards the items we were trying to sell at a higher rate, resulted in higher investment from our vendors and category teams. Which in turn, resulted in higher ROI for my employer.
I gave the rating of 6 to UserTesting because their support team does a great job of providing online documentation and videos on how to create user tests and review the results. But their phone support is limited. So, sometimes, it takes longer to determine the process around improving quality and quantity of user experience or content optimization test results. Which in turn, results in more time to determine how to redesign our eCommerce website or what additional content to source. Resulting in conversion optimization delay and lower ROI that expected.
I gave UserTesting a rating of 7 when it comes to their overall usability. Because their online platform is easy to use and has a high sample of testers to choose from. So, it's easier to configure a test by working with their technical support team. And, have high confidence in their qualitative test results. Plus, they do a nice job of rating their testers. So, only those testers get a high rating who have completed all best practices of user experience testing: read out loud when testing, follow all steps summarized by the client on navigation, etc. and minimize noise when testing by using high-quality microphones as well as cameras. For the client, it helps them choose from a higher pool of quality testers.
Yes, we have benefited tremendously from using UserTesting platform to conduct user experience and content tests. By able to quickly optimize our e-commerce website's marketing funnel navigation and content so customers are more engaged and converting. In addition, we have been able to understand which kind of product or category content is more relevant to our three core segments: education, healthcare and commercial. We were also able to optimize our product images to align with our customers' expectations: show inside of the packaging so customers can clearly see how the product would look like when they sell it to their customers. Instead of having a closed box with item inside.
When compared to Userlytics, I chose UserTesting for my employer because it has higher sample of quality testers and its platform is more intuitive to use when setting-up new qualitative tests. Plus, UserTesting does a better job of sending screening questions so only those testers qualify who have experience working in the food industry my employer is in.
UserTesting is well suited when testing user experience design or new content of an e-commerce website which is generating 1000 or more visitors a day and has basic product content. UserTesting is not suited when testing websites with very low traffic and minimal content. Because testers won't have enough design specifications or elements to navigate or content to consume. So, their test results would be inaccurate as well. In addition, it would bring down the rating of those testers and waste dollars of testing client, resulting in lower ROI for both.